Connection Issues

Started by Gold Man, January 07, 2015, 04:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, it seems I never cease to have computer trouble, eh?

Well, over the past few days (and even now) the internet connectivity in my laptop has been quite wonky. I can seem to only access some websites (by some I mean they load slower than normal, but they load). Then there's other sites I can't seem to access, such as SpeedTest, Norton, history links, etc.

I opened task manager and it has my send and receive signals ranging from 0-40kbps for sending, and 0-100kbps for receiving. Last month I was downloading games at 1.5mbps.

I don't know what the problem is, but it seems I'm the only one experiencing it. Everything else in the house loads up websites and the like just fine. So it seems the problem is centered on my laptop only. I've been trying to reinstall Norton (it expired a few days ago, and I finally built up the courage to register the key), except this time this Norton needs to be downloaded rather than inserted with a CD.

I checked all my installed programs, and there's nothing out of place there.

I've checked and done just about anything you can do to try and resolve a slow connection issue. Anyone got any suggestions/solutions?

January 07, 2015, 05:53:58 AM #1 Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:05:41 AM by Carbon27
Have you tried using a wired connection? Also I thought I heard that ISPs sometimes limit how many devices you have connected (or something along those lines) Have you tried disconnecting a device or two from the internet?

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Carbon27 on January 07, 2015, 05:53:58 AM
Have you tried using a wired connection? Also I thought I heard that ISPs sometimes limit how many devices you have connected (or something along those lines) Have you tried disconnecting a device or two from the internet?
I have not considered using a wired connection, as I've had no issues with it until quite recently. As far as I know our ISP does not limit the devices, though it might explain why our iDevices lose connectivity every now and then, and why we reset our router to resolve the issue.

I'l check with my parents about it today (because it's a nightmare to access the internet at home currently), and get back to you tomorrow probably.

I am currently running a full system scan though for my PC at school with Norton, so hopefully that turns up something.

I suggest you also look at the age of your router.  If it is more than 5 years old, you might want to look at a more modern router.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Actually, I got Norton activated today at school, and ran a full system scan at school. Got rid of 9 tracking cookies, and now the whole thing works like it should. I want to say it was one of those tracking cookies, but I could be wrong. Either way, problems been resolved.

On a side note, our router is I believe around 3 years old, so it's not quite that far gone yet. ;)

As another note, it's not your ISP who will limit connected devices, but your router. Each router can only handle a certain number of devices connected at once before your signal begins to weaken and slow down. I have roughly 8-9 Wifi devices around the house, but I'm not going to buy another expensive router to handle all of them. I have my old router set up at one end of the house, and we got another one at the other end that was free with Xfinity.
So as a note to anyone reading in the future... If you have a lot of devices on your Wifi Router and your signal is poor or slow, I suggest upgrading your current router or buying a second one to complement the first. Your ISP is not *likely to blame.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper