[WIP] Supplies Outpost

Started by Epifire, July 24, 2013, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 24, 2013, 05:10:11 PM Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:19:29 AM by Epifire
Okay so there is a lot I cannot say about the theme of the map cause it's still undecided. I know BF 1 has pulled off snow areas really well in the past (with it's full bright textures, etc) but suggestions are welcome. So basic story is that the Rebels have taken hold of a Imperial supplies outpost and are trying to lay claim to the whole place. However they tripped the base security when capturing the main facility and the outlying imperial garrison (in vehicle docking have been alerted).

We would assume the Imps would just take off and alert the rest of the fleet, but with a possible Turbo-Laser to shoot them down they can't take that chance until that threat is removed. With both teams packing full tank and infantry armament, it's a race to capture the turret hard point and remove the opposition in the process!

So the strategy behind the design is that the Turbo-Laser is a game changer. So whom ever controls the middle of the map can take on the enemy vehicles with ease. It can be flanked and the gunner will be able to be shot out of the chair, so it's also open to being flanked. I wanted to make something that forced team work to win, so there will always be a point of contention that serves great importance.

Map layout is relative and likely to change

Additional Screenshots
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Turbo-Laser Progress (previous untextured)...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler] 

Later images will be rolled back to this post. They have a great bumping capability so they will be posted as progress before a finalized version is tossed up.

I'm no expert when it comes to info regarding ZE or engine specific stuff I run into problems with. I plan on keeping this as performance friendly as possible. Feel free to chime in and comment with the ongoing progress of the map. Do note that once the map is completed all the assets will be available for free usage in the community (with due credit of course).

ALPHA TEST BUILD HERE http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=9364.msg122443;topicseen#new
photobucket limit image removed

I'll try to help! I need a side project to distract me from the drudgery of working on the Museum.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Well the turret is the first thing I'm gonna be getting developed, and once it's done all nice and fancy that will be the biggest thing. The rest is just modeling structures and bases, etc. Some recycled assets will be used for that when needed, but I'm not being shy about building a lot from scratch.

I'll be sure to keep people posted on progress here.  :tu:

Update of one of the tile textures for general usage throughout structures in the map. It is a depth bake mesh and I may end up painting in the color with weight maps...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Third Panel I've been working on, there will be a base one, a maintenance panel and a glowing light strip one. So far that's what I've got but I'll be likely to have additional ones to keep a more robust selection. This does not include UV unwrap specific single use textures for detail props.

Quote from: Epifire on July 26, 2013, 01:22:56 AM
Update of one of the tile textures for general usage throughout structures in the map. It is a depth bake mesh and I may end up painting in the color with weight maps...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Third Panel I've been working on, there will be a base one, a maintenance panel and a glowing light strip one. So far that's what I've got but I'll be likely to have additional ones to keep a more robust selection. This does not include UV unwrap specific single use textures for detail props.
That texture... it's so clean! Oooh clean.

From the looks of things, and your extensive modding history we can certainly expect some great things.

You are "next leveling" this every step of the way.
Great models and map plan.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on July 26, 2013, 01:31:40 AM
That texture... it's so clean! Oooh clean.

More look's like, this model, do not have the textures at all. It's just repainted.
Still, I may say, for some videocards, untextured models, may appear in game, as totaly black objects. So, your map, cud be look's buggy, for some PC, if you not planing, to give any textures, to your models.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on July 26, 2013, 02:31:30 AM
More look's like, this model, do not have the textures at all. It's just repainted.
Still, I may say, for some videocards, untextured models, may appear in game, as totaly black objects. So, your map, cud be look's buggy, for some PC, if you not planing, to give any textures, to your models.

I think you miss the point a little. See that is an early WIP picture just showing the geometry I plan on baking into a TGA texture. I will bake an Ambient Occlusion map to draw out the depth and maybe even second that into a bump map.

Yeah no where near complete yet.  :P

Alright, well when you get all the models done just send them over along with notes on where you want them put (or i guess it will all be one model?) and all the hard points of the turrets so I can make an odf.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Well the thing is I got help on making the turret ODF (through Rage) and I may be able to map it myself. Buildings will be clustered by location and will be combined when appropriate to do so. My guess is I will have to run a copy off the folder structure so somebody else can Munge it (cause currently compatibility is my issue). Just general advice though is always appreciated.  :tu:

Doesn't like Windows 7 for some reason but I'm determined I can fix it cause I recall there was some sort of work around for it.

Yeah somehow I never had console response when I tried it before. Gonna need map help/advice anyway but I should be able to munge if I can get that fix to work.

I notice there was a little confusion with my process on baking meshes down to textures. So I'll show an example as to how this whole process works...

Imp_Panel_Detail
[spoiler][/spoiler]

On the right are the four detail meshes I evenly divided to match grid points. And on the left you have a flat grid with the baked AO map (along with an active bumpmap running) ready for the next step in adding extra detail. You can draw completely symmetrically lines, dividing them all and this is good for making quick and easy use when setting up UVs later on.

Now since this is for building detail I knew I could combine four textures into one to save on memory and simplify my material amounts in XSI. These are for details on smaller faces (mainly indoors) so they don't actually need to be really big. The next step is to paint smaller details into the diffuse. There is a really good chance I will end up layering the details with weight maps in XSI. It's a fairly complex method but I find it the most effective. For the XSI users who might want to learn more about it here is a video set that got me started...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7nDlV9pJFkg

After watching the tutorials and putting them to use I made this as a test scene with it.... [spoiler][/spoiler]

Highly recommended for anyone wanting to advance their texture development skills!  :cheers: