SWBF1 Museum Master Thread (WIP)

Started by Snake, May 15, 2013, 10:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Battle Royale characters should be used in the Museum?

~AF!zZingGunFlower
3 (23.1%)
Comfrost
2 (15.4%)
Dbiz
2 (15.4%)
GoldMan
3 (23.1%)
Kitfisto
3 (23.1%)
Led
5 (38.5%)
Phobos
6 (46.2%)
Republic Commando
4 (30.8%)
411 Remnant
3 (23.1%)
Roland
4 (30.8%)
Sereja
10 (76.9%)
Shazam
4 (30.8%)
Sleepkiller
6 (46.2%)
Snake
10 (76.9%)
Unit33
9 (69.2%)
tirpider
8 (61.5%)
Cinnamon
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Idea: night at the museum mode.......

April 14, 2014, 05:08:45 PM #166 Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:06:11 PM by Snake
Unfortunately, no.  :P

---

Holy crap.. The coolest/weirdest thing happened.

So I was playing on the Museum, just messing around (that's how I get all my random ideas) and somehow I noticed that most of the Noobs had left their camp, somehow found their way into the museum (without pathing) and were locked in battle with the guards and a few characters like Sereja and Unit 33. You don't understand how weird this is.. Because 1. they got in there without pathing, 2. they actually captured one of the two CP's in the museum which is specifically designed so only players can capture them. Somehow one of them got on top of the huge museum in order to capture the CP. (that is where the capture region is located). Idk, I just find stuff like this amazing. So now, me and the guards are currently trying to retake the museum, and the scribes are kind of huddled up in a corner. Another episode in "The Adventures of The Museum"
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

At first, when you started telling these stories, I was thinking "Wow, your computer is so weird.  Star Wars Battlefront is weird.  Wow...."

Now, I'm convinced that SALLY really does have a mind of her own and does what she pleases.

Snake: Oh boy, this CP on top of this building can only be captured by skilled human players.  I can't even get there 95% of the time!
SALLY:  AI must capture CP on top of Building.  Creating route code.  Magical AI flight capability when player isn't looking is now activated.  *later*  Objective Successful.  Proceeding to terminate human coming to try to capture my CP.

--Snake gets hit by a meteor blast.  Snake proceeds to respawn but cannot because SALLY forbids it.

The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

*Snake finally spawns, tries to take CP again* *SALLY gets angry and crashes game* *Blames it on fifth+ weapons per unit* *Evil laugh, I am ultimate ruler!*

Haha exactly! Video games are supposed to be so exact and scripted but SWBF is not so.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 18, 2014, 04:40:25 PM #170 Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:41:06 PM by Snake
Well, I've hit a major bump in the road. I did some very minor changes and now the map crashes like 25 seconds in every time. It doesn't make any sense. If it's gona crash, why doesn't it crash right away? Another reason I hate modding. What's even more amazing, is that I was so confident in such minor changes not doing anything that I saved it over my backup too, to update it. So now I am going to try retracing my freaking steps, which will probably not do anything. So, my only hope is someone else figuring out what is wrong, me retracing my steps and removing whatever is the problem, and I also have a pretty old backup that was messed up. I may be able to fix that old backup and then re-do all my changes since then. Yay. One day I will put into motion my plan for revenge against Sally. It will be such sweet revenge.. Anyway, if anyone wants to give a crack at figuring out what the problem is, here's what I know:

-I added scrolling textures but before the "crash time" I can fly up to them and look at them and they work fine so why wouldn't it crash when I looked at it?
-I had this same problem of a "crash time" when I added turrets and a few more vehicle spawns, however, removing them did not solve the problem, I had to revert to my backup. I wonder if I hit some object limit of some sort..
-I feel like going deep into Dagobah and covering trees with explosive napalm charges, then watching everything burn.
-SPTest doesn't implicate anything as a reason for a crash. Jeez.. My life I swear.

----------

Good news: I seem to have fixed the problem
Bad news: I still have no idea what the problem was

I think it was some kind of barrier limit (I have a lot of barriers) because I deleted some barriers I had added before. Now I am going to try to put the scrolling textures back, then maybe I can try adding turrets again since I think it was a barrier problem. So yay, I don't have to do everything over!

----------

The worst thing about working on this Museum is I am constantly reminded of my old friends who I got so close to without ever meeting. So many people are gone now.. I guess thats life.

----------

I think you guys are really going to like this map
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

It's good to see you sticking at it through the problems. I know I really want to play this. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

delayed crashes without any sptest error logs are often caused by either a bugged msh, odf, or having surpassed some type of game limit as you mentioned. its hard to pinpoint small bug causes on large maps so it's a good idea to keep backups (at least of the world1 folder) before applying major changes to the map just in case of situations like this. glad to see you got the mod to stop crashing at least.

April 19, 2014, 08:37:09 PM #173 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:51:04 PM by Snake
Yeah, I think it was a barrier limit. But I haven't added any barriers and now it's doing it again. -_- I should get a SWBF version of the purple heart for how many battle wounds i've patched up in this map.

I just checked and I have 288 barriers.. Well, atleast we know the sorta area the barrier limit is at.

------

Alright, I've got a small funny story. So I landed a Y-wing by the Noob camp and left it to make sure they could enter it and one did enter but he was waiting for a buddy to fill the second seat. Well, I noticed a second noob was trying to get to the Y-wing. Well, the 2nd noob ran into a tree on the way there and then went around it, but instead of just going around it straight to the ship, he decided to walk around the enter circumference of the tree about 5 times and then continued on his way to the Y-wing. Why? Because Sally, that's why.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on April 19, 2014, 08:37:09 PM
I just checked and I have 288 barriers.. Well, atleast we know the sorta area the barrier limit is at.

You know how you can have 255 shades of a color digitally? Well apparently lots of limits are set to strange numbers like that.
I've seen a lot of the square numbers used as limits as well, like 256 or 512.. I would try setting it under or at 256 (or 255 I guess..).

You might do a check and see how many barriers a complex map like Cloud City has, (I think you can just check in BAR file, should have a number at the top saying barrier count is equal to something or another), I'd bet none have more than those numbers specified above.

--I've seen people walk in circles when the lag out, but never an ai  :blink:

The barrier limit while it no doubt exists is much higher than 288 I think. Stock maps like Yavin have 739 barriers in them. So I really don't think that is the cause of your problem, and if it was SPTest would probably catch it. (Simple error catching, game tries to add a barrier, game realises no more memory available for barriers, game throws exception, game catches exception and reports error to user. At least that is how I would expect it to work, but Sally works in strange ways at times.)

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on April 25, 2014, 12:39:35 PM
You know how you can have 255 shades of a color digitally? Well apparently lots of limits are set to strange numbers like that.
I've seen a lot of the square numbers used as limits as well, like 256 or 512.. I would try setting it under or at 256 (or 255 I guess..).

Not such a strange number.  0-255 = 256 options = 2^8
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Well, it must be a Sally limit then. She must not have hated Pandemic. Maybe... Maybe they created her to help them make maps and things, and since they went under, she got mad and started cursing modders.  :o its like iRobot
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

June 26, 2014, 02:38:54 PM #178 Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:41:05 PM by Snake
Alright guys, I've finally decided to release what I have of the Museum. It's basically complete except for some smallish things I wanted to add and theres a lot of information that needs to be added to the halls. Maybe one day someone will decide to finish it. The main reason I couldn't is because I can't model too well and my photoshop was uninstalled.  :dry: I can't spend anymore time on it because I have to start working on my career in the army since I am starting college this fall. I hope you guys like what has been made so far. It is really a project of the whole community because everyone pitched in a little bit. The map will finally be released in a few days probably. I have to tie a few loose ends. Unfortunately there will not be a Cantina due to the fact that my modeling skills are not up to par and no one else could do it. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it. I put a lot of time and effort into this. I also have a little surprise release to go with it. Keep up with the Released Maps and Mods thread for the next few days!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I'm sorry I couldn't get that vehicle footage in time. I'm just having a heck of a time finding a screen recorder that works on my computer. My video card is a piece of crap and my hard drive is small. I'll probably need to get a new VidCard soon. I'm glad your releasing this to the public, as I greatly enjoyed playing the beta version you gave me an RC. It's great map, even though it has a few bugs. It's to bad you weren't able to finish it though.

I hope you enjoy college and lead a successful life.  :cheers: