Gametoast down?

Started by MileHighGuy, April 29, 2014, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lel, again..

I don't think the site is down, just that it's all glitched up. Probably being worked on, as opposed to being fixed.

Yeah... It's not Down, but it is.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Now we're getting a general error every time we try to view a post.

Quote from: CommanderAwesome on May 06, 2014, 10:07:17 AM
More general errors...
I hope this helps to pass the time while Gametoast sits... oddly. Should be quite... fun.
http://haneke.net/
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Yep, still dead.

Anybody tried e-mailing guru to find out what's going on?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

I suspect guru is well aware of the situation.

In between down times, a post was made indicated there was a hard drive failure. I'm not sure why it was partially up and now down again, but I suspect there are some kinks to be worked out of their database/forum software.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Yep, Guru's aware. The corrupted hard drive messed up the system cache, certain write permissions, etc. The site cannot load because (among other things) it cannot write files to the temporary directory like it should. Odds are he'll probably go with an older backup (if he has one) of the database combined with a fresh install of PHPBB3. I haven't talked to him, but I did spend a while in the admin panel looking at the logs.

Thanks for the update Teancum.  GT is always a relied upon resource for everyone involved in SWBF/SWBF2.

If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.

I don't exactly check up on GT much (once in a blue moon when I feel interested), but how old would the backup of the database be? Or would this database hold only the profiles, and not the forum's posts and threads?

Just felt like nudging in here, I'm actually planning to borrow one of my school's old server machines to setup for either cloud storage or for a website. One thing's for sure if I intend to do the website, I'l make sure to back up the database frequently to avoid this sort of mess.

May 08, 2014, 11:19:16 AM #27 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:21:16 AM by Led
Depending on how things go, it may not be as simple as backing up the database.  If files were corrupted and the software running the website needs to be upgraded or restored, there can be a lot of headaches involved.

(The database holds all relevant information to the forum, such as posts, messages, etc. but not files like avatar pictures, attachments and things.)

A case in point is when I tried to upgrade our forum a year or so ago.  We were down for three days as I was scrambling to get our forum software sorted out.

Depending on your host, it may be that there are automatic backups on database files, all files, the server, both or nothing.

For this website, I try to back up the database every month or so and I try to back up all the files every four months or so.  We host too many files to be eligible for the automatic backup option.

Thankfully there's no hosted files at Gametoast, but given how small the SWBF has become (though we're still strong) I'm concerned we'll lose too many people during the downtime.

It is a critical time for the multiplayer version of SWBF2 since the gamespy server is going away at the end of the month--
but GT has a very loyal following, so I think if everything gets sorted out in a few days it will be just a blip in the scheme of things.