RIP LucasArts

Started by Giftheck, April 03, 2013, 11:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Disney will find out what Star Wars games are about to their peril. Trust me: when they lose the core market, which would have netted them big bucks, they'll change their tune.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

I dont care. Without lucas arts, star wars games in general may never be the same again. 150 people who have been making these games for years were laid off, never to make them again.

Quote from: Ltin on April 03, 2013, 12:21:33 PM
I dont care. Without lucas arts, star wars games in general may never be the same again. 150 people who have been making these games for years were laid off, never to make them again.

Just quoting this to point out that a large percentage of their most succesful games were outsourced in the first place. The only internally-successful one was TFU.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

But they still had a hand in much of the things involving them though.

Quote from: Ltin on April 03, 2013, 12:25:39 PM
But they still had a hand in much of the things involving them though.

They'd still have a hand in new projects: they're just shutting down the internal developments studio.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Stupid... Im really mad at this motion  :rant:
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Oh, now it's realy sad... I am afraid, real "Star Wars Era", maybe over now... :bye:

Still, I just wonder, if Lucas Arts, as owner of SWBF, and other games, is not exist anymore, so, it's maybe possible, that "slice modification" of the game exe, and such kind of unlegal things, is cud be counted as "legal" now, and can be uploaded?
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Everyone calm down. This doesn't mean the end of all Star Wars games. They will just now be licensing the Star Wars name out to other gaming studios to develop the games. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. The two most successful games for LucasArts were Knights of the Old Republic and Battlefront. Both were made with heavy involvement by outside sources like Bioware and Pandemic.

Didnt lucas arts come up with the idea for at least some of them though?

Yes, they approached developers. Now they're publisher-only, that means that'll all LucasArts will be doing. A game has to be comissioned by the publisher first (in this case given its concerns licensed titles)
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: Ltin on April 03, 2013, 12:59:12 PM
Didnt lucas arts come up with the idea for at least some of them though?
Of course they did, but much of the work was done by outside sources. For instance, LucasArts told Bioware they could make a game based on one of the movies or an entirely different story line set 4000 years before. Bioware chose the latter because it gave them more freedom to create the best Star Wars story line since the original Star Wars trilogy.

Has anyone noticed that ever since lucasfilm was bought by disney, everything official has been detrimental in someway? This cant all be just a coincidence. THEY ARE TRYING TO RUIN STAR WARS.

It is an undeniable and may i say fundemental quality of star wars, that, when faced with extection, still, only one alternative is preferable.

I think you're making a huge deal over a game and a few films that last a couple hours each.
If the owners want to destroy something they own, just let em.
Don't get all tree huger about a silly movie...
(This is me, throwing a wrench into your system for the fun of it^^ :))