what are everyone's favorite quotes?

Started by Ltin, April 02, 2013, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This one popped up in my mind the other day and i remembered i read it somewhere but finally found it out by a simple google search lol

"to strive, to seek, to find and not to yield" - Alfred Tennyson (from Ulysses)

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

August 19, 2013, 12:59:19 PM #91 Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:02:47 PM by UNIT 33
Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on August 19, 2013, 10:51:21 AM
That is twisted and wrong in so many ways... It's almost funny :P
Then you're lucky enough to be an optimist or the member of some form of religious practise.
Don't mind us existentialists.

Here's some Nietzsche again (at least tirpider might know what I'm on about):
"Art is not merely an imitation of the reality of nature, but in truth a metaphysical supplement to the reality of nature, placed alongside thereof for its conquest."

Quote from: UNIT 33 on August 19, 2013, 12:59:19 PM
"Art is not merely an imitation of the reality of nature, but in truth a metaphysical supplement to the reality of nature, placed alongside thereof for its conquest."
Gotta love Nietzsche. He needed it more than anyone.
Perhaps he was more of an optimist than folks give him credit for. He seemed to thrive on constantly building hurdles of soul-crushing-mythical proportion.

I contribute a pic. Not exactly a quote, but certainly within the unending boundaries of existentialism.

Quote from: tirpider on August 19, 2013, 02:15:39 PM
Gotta love Nietzsche. He needed it more than anyone.
Perhaps he was more of an optimist than folks give him credit for. He seemed to thrive on constantly building hurdles of soul-crushing-mythical proportion.

I contribute a pic. Not exactly a quote, but certainly within the unending boundaries of existentialism.
Heh heh. I'm not sure whether I should be delighted... or whether I should sink into a metaphysical pit of despair for understanding existential jokes.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

"I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K.

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' - Isaac Asimov

My Favorite Quotes Of Wisdom
Part 1 (to be continued later)

"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist." - Sir Humphrey Appleby

"Fear always springs from ignorance." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought" - Charles Kingsley

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Isaac Asimov

"An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so." - Mohandas Gandhi

"The chief obstacle to the progress of the human race is the human race." - Don Marquis

"I seem to have been like a child playing on the seashore, finding new and then a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

"Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it." - Albert Einstein

"It is necessary to distinguish between the virtue and the vice of obedience." - Lemuel K. Washburn

"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.  The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority." - Ralph W. Sockman

"Act so as to encourage the best in others, and by so doing you will develop the best in yourself. " - Felix Adler

"The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeking we may come upon the truth." - Pierre Abelard

"It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense." - Robert G. Ingersoll

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." - P.J. O'Rourke

"We have forgotten that our sovereign duty is to leave the world in a better condition than when we each entered it." - Michael Tsarion   

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself makes you fearless." - Lao Tzu

"No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent." - Abraham Lincoln

"The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character." - Margaret Chase Smith

Longer Quotes:
[spoiler]
"... a fullness of state power such as only despotism had enjoyed...surpassed all the past because it strove for the formal annihilation of the individual...Once the earth is brought under all-embracing economic control, then mankind will find it has been reduced to machinery in its service, as a monstrous clockwork system of ever smaller, more finely adjusted wheels" - Fredrick Nietzsche

"Finding the occasional straw of truth awash in a great ocean of confusion and bamboozle requires intelligence, vigilance, dedication and courage. But if we don't practice these tough habits of thought, we cannot hope to solve the truly serious problems that face us - and we risk becoming a nation of suckers, up for grabs by the next charlatan who comes along." - Carl Sagan

"The great gift of universal knowledge is bequeathed to those who dare brave the heights of one's own spiritual mountain. It is given to those who not only reach the summit, but climb back down and point the way for others. The great knowing is bestowed upon those whose virtue, strength and temperance are one's guides. Mind, body, heart and soul, when in harmony, are the great attractors of truth and truth can be gained from no other method. The human being must embrace the incorruptible principles of authenticity and embody the integrity that comes from one's own inner grit to find the way. The most astounding reality, the real magic of this gift, is the awakened and fully realized, individualized self. It is the recognition of a sleeping god that had been at rest all along, lost in the dream of being human." - Claudia Pavonis

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise" - F. Scott Fitzgerald

"One... gets an impression that civilization is something which was imposed on a resisting majority by a minority which understood how to obtain possession of the means to power and coercion.  It is, of course, natural to assume that these difficulties are not inherent in the nature of civilization itself but are determined by the imperfections of the cultural forms which have so far been developed." - Sigmund Freud

"Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates, in the end, the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion... In the long run it will create a generation incapable of appreciating the difference between independence of thought and subservience." - Henry Steele Commager

"Responsive leaders prefer knowledge and information to be spread as widely as possible among the population, because an informed public is necessary to govern effectively, independent thought produces original ideas and is the key factor by which we progress as a society. When independent thought is stifled society is and will remain stagnant until it is free to flourish once again." - Teresa Stover

"This is where we are at right now, as a whole. No one is left out of the loop. We are experiencing a reality based on a thin veneer of lies and illusions. A world where greed is our God and wisdom is sin, where division is key and unity is fantasy, where the ego-driven cleverness of the mind is praised, rather than the intelligence of the heart." - Bill Hicks

"History shows that there is nothing so easy to enslave and nothing so hard to emancipate as ignorance, hence it becomes the double enemy of civilization.  By its servility it is the prey of tyranny, and by its credulity it is the foe of enlightenment." - Lemuel K. Washburn

"We have been socialized to respect fear more than our own needs for language and definition, and while we wait in silence for that final luxury of fearlessness, the weight of that silence will choke us." - Audre Lorde

"Each of you, for himself, by himself and on his own responsibility, must speak. And it is a solemn and weighty responsibility, and not lightly to be flung aside at the bullying of the pulpit, press, government, or the empty catchphrases of politicians. Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let man label you as they may. If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country- hold up your head! You have nothing to be ashamed of." - Mark Twain
[/spoiler]

"We are the most powerful military force in the history of man. Every fight is our fight. Because what happens over here, matters over there. We don't get to sit one out. Learning to use the tools of modern warfare is the difference between the prospering of your people, and utter destruction. We can't give you freedom. But we can give you the know how to acquire it. And that, my friends, is worth more than a whole army base of steel. Sure it matters who's got the bigger stick, but it matters a helluva lot more who's swinging it. This is the time for heroes. A time for legends... History is written by the victors. Now, let's get to work." ~ Lieutenant General Shepherd 

Not so philosophical, but so true it hurts.

Quote"having the same content in two different locations is a recipe for future disaster in terms of inconsistency and confusion"
~robertcollier4
On converting help file source to wiki pages from the AutoIT Forums

Quote from: tirpider on August 20, 2013, 11:47:01 AM
Not so philosophical, but so true it hurts.
On converting help file source to wiki pages from the AutoIT Forums
Oh the wise ones of AutoIt :P (Speaking of which, it's an hundred times easier language to learn than any game programming code I've used..)

My favorite : You know what you are blondie you know what you are, your nothing but a dirty son of a  :censored:
Guess what is it from http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6thuiB_Kl7E&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6thuiB_Kl7E
Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease.

Quote from: Yarell on August 20, 2013, 07:59:45 PM
My favorite : You know what you are blondie you know what you are, your nothing but a dirty son of a  :censored:
Guess what is it from http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6thuiB_Kl7E&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6thuiB_Kl7E

From my favorite movie ever.
[spoiler]The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly[/spoiler]
I see something new in it every time.

August 20, 2013, 10:02:35 PM #100 Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:15:45 AM by -RepublicCommando-
{Alpha}Cmd.Kyram: Don't be a BigMatt
{Alpha}Cmd.Kyram: Switch to DirectTV today
{Alpha}Cmd.Kyram: Nobody?
--

August 21, 2013, 01:51:04 PM #101 Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:11:52 PM by {TCE}Call-of-Duty
"Tickets please"

-Speaks in German and Turns around-

-Punches him and Throws Him out the Zeppelin- "No Tickets"

-All the Passengers pull out Their Tickets-

Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade

Yea, apparently you can't put a quote in a quote so just go back to page 6 and look at Ltin's O'Maliey quote...
Any-who, after I read that I remembered some of my favorite RvB quotes

"Yea, Suck it Blue"- Simmons

"That Was the Worst Throw. Ever. Of all Time"- Agent Washington

"Bow Chicka Bow Wow"- Tucker

"Not my Fault, Tucker did It"- Caboose
"My Name is Micheal J. Caboose, and I Hate BABIES"- Caboose, who else he has his name in the quote
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

August 22, 2013, 08:37:53 PM #102 Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:40:22 PM by Ltin
"my name is Micheal J. Caboose, and i hate TAXES!" -Caboose
"its texas you idiot" -Grif

No offense meant for anyone from texas. It has nothing to do with the state