Star Wars: First Assault, a Predecessor to SWBF3?

Started by Unit 33, March 11, 2013, 10:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on March 14, 2013, 12:11:49 PM
I wouldn't say that.. I mean, as long as it stays in your property and doesn't effect anyone else, assuming you own it, and are not redistributing, publishing, or posting about it, who's going to tell you no?
Not too much they can do about it anyways, it's not like they are going to pay thousands of dollars to take you to court because 1 child bought a video game for 30-40 bucks...

There have been many people who have modded their Xbox's, though most of those mods are cosmetic (casing, controllers, etc.). If you mean hardware wise, it's impossible. Modders have been asking for Microsoft to reveal the coding in their console so they can mod it, but Microsoft hasn't done it (for obvious reasons), and many attempts have failed to retrieve it. So really, it's impossible to hack your console unless you helped develop the console, or know someone in Microsoft willing to risk their job over it.

Quote from: tirpider on March 14, 2013, 12:33:50 PM
heh
As an XBOX Arcade title, all I will ever see of it is the vids and screenshots then.

Wife and I have discussed getting a new console. To justify a triple digit investment, it would have to have at least 5 titles we would buy and actually play. The 360 needs 4 more titles.

-edit (unless the Oddworld series picks back up.. )

1: Call of Duty: Black Ops II;
2: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III; and
3: Call of Duty: Black Ops
4: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
Over 9,000: Call of Duty 420: 1337 QuickSk0p3zzzzzzz

Quote from: BlackScorpion on March 14, 2013, 01:54:07 PM

No matter how many numbers they put in it, it's still the same game.

Quote from: BlackScorpion on March 14, 2013, 01:54:07 PM

You know you have swag when you use leetspeek. :P

March 14, 2013, 02:18:38 PM #49 Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:20:54 PM by tirpider
COD is not a title I would buy or play. I have exactly zero interest in those types of games.

Put them all in stormtrooper armor, add the laser blasts, SW architechture/atmosphere and a John Williams-like soundtrack, then maybe.

Same old marines with the same old machine guns doing the same missions in the same places....... I honestly can't think of anything more boring.

Throw Godzilla at them.. Alien attacks, put them in space.. ANYTHING but the drudgery of trying to mimic the most despicable aspect of civilized culture... war.

-edit... yeah, I know battlefront is a war game, but it's an abstraction. If I wanted to play "real soldiers" I would have joined the Marines instead of the Navy.

Quote from: tirpider on March 14, 2013, 02:18:38 PM
COD is not a title I would buy or play. I have exactly zero interest in those types of games.

Put them all in stormtrooper armor, add the laser blasts, SW architechture/atmosphere and a John Williams-like soundtrack, then maybe.

Same old marines with the same old machine guns doing the same missions in the same places....... I honestly can't think of anything more boring.

Throw Godzilla at them.. Alien attacks, put them in space.. ANYTHING but the drudgery of trying to mimic the most despicable aspect of civilized culture... war.

-edit... yeah, I know battlefront is a war game, but it's an abstraction. If I wanted to play "real soldiers" I would have joined the Marines instead of the Navy.

I figured as much; I was just messing with you.  Meant it only as a joke.

Thats fine.  A lot of folks dig those titles.  I was just saying that they aren't my thing.

Quote from: tirpider on March 14, 2013, 12:33:50 PM
Wife and I have discussed getting a new console. To justify a triple digit investment, it would have to have at least 5 titles we would buy and actually play.
Wait, a mininute! You play video games with your wife?! Lucky man...

Oh and SWBFI and II both work on Xbox 360. I also think Republic Commando does too...

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 14, 2013, 07:24:10 PM

Oh and SWBFI and II both work on Xbox 360. I also think Republic Commando does too...
Yes, Republic Commando works it has some texture problems though but it works.Same as SWBF 1 & 2 (as you said) As well as Kotor(Knight of the Old Republic) 1 & 2. I'm a Star wars Xbox nerd.  :D
I'm not multi-clanning I just have lots of affiliates.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 14, 2013, 07:24:10 PM

Well, she isn't as into the games as much as I am. She has her own favorites.

And I already have SWBF1 and 2 for PS/2, why would I want to buy them again?

I guess I'm more frugal and picky than most.  I bought a used X-Box to play KotOR and thought "oh cool, I can try Halo out now..." ...  huge disapointment.  All the hype about how awesome it was (Halo and the Xbox) really fell on it's face in my livingroom floor. The Xbox just gathers dust now, only being used when nostalgia for Strangers Wrath or KotOR hits. 

Folks seem to like the new breed of shooters evolved out of the Unreal series (that's what they all seem like to me) but I never liked the feel of them.  It's like someone figured out how to do volumetric lighting and the entire world lost it's mind. Suddenly every game has to be pretty instead of fun to play... Seems backwards to me. A pig in make-up and all...

I've already come to terms with the reality that the industry just doesn't care about my end of the market cause folks like me just don't care enough about the new tech to spend money on it.  There isn't a solution for it either.  Some indi developer might be able to squeak out a nice title that old timers like, but once their company grows, they will have to change target markets in order to pay the bills.

If it were the other way around, then we would all be modding Quake (which still has quite a few folks active in that regard,) and ID would still be king of the hill.

Wow this looks pretty cool. But, I don't want to buy Microsoft points D:
I still have three xbox live cards left from Black Friday (I bought four). It's nice to see another Star Wars game that's leaning towards the Republic Commando game-play.

Quote from: tirpider on March 15, 2013, 07:50:18 PM
Folks seem to like the new breed of shooters evolved out of the Unreal series (that's what they all seem like to me) but I never liked the feel of them.  It's like someone figured out how to do volumetric lighting and the entire world lost it's mind. Suddenly every game has to be pretty instead of fun to play... Seems backwards to me. A pig in make-up and all...

and like it was said earlier, the games are to much about 'one man armies', i like how swbf is a little more simple, but allows you to be really complex and creative in strategies.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me