Star Wars: First Assault, a Predecessor to SWBF3?

Started by Unit 33, March 11, 2013, 10:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Joseph on March 13, 2013, 04:35:27 PM
wtf, it honestly took me about 5 seconds of staring to tell that that screenshot 3 posts above me is from a star wars game and not some middle-east based anti-terrorist game.

you have better eyes than me--i still can't tell  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

The bots have a little bit of path issues but it looks cool, I'll admit that.

#TYBG

Quote from: Joseph on March 13, 2013, 04:35:27 PM
wtf, it honestly took me about 5 seconds of staring to tell that that screenshot 3 posts above me is from a star wars game and not some middle-east based anti-terrorist game.
I agree. Personally this looks kinda bad. A Star Wars game is supposed to be an instant recognizer. Not something you have to take 30 secends to tell if it's just another COD map. The maps don't look like Star Wars and I have to be honest, if you didn't know it was a Star Wars game, would you know after watching the vid? Besides the Stormtroopers there is no way to tell. Unless you are looking really closely.

And it just doesn't seem like SWBF. I'm going to have to see more gameplay video's to be convinced that it's actually a star wars game!

Did anyone else know that the 1st video has a stormtrooper putting on his helment? Like in RC?! Maybe this isn't meant to be a SWBF type game but more a RC game...

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 13, 2013, 07:41:30 PM
Did anyone else know that the 1st video has a stormtrooper putting on his helment? Like in RC?! Maybe this isn't meant to be a SWBF type game but more a RC game...
Yeah thats what I thought as well, although I absolutely love the 'view' or perspective of SWRC, (hence my name^^) but I don't think there need to be more of those, SWRC was already pushing the limits.. I mean, big foot-ball player lookin' guys, storming in a cave or urban area, riping out the guts of their enemy's isn't exactly what you think when you hear "Starwars Game" (at least not for me).

Although I like what I'm seeing, calling it something it most likely isn't, is not very appetizing.

Yea RC is a fun game. But in terms of being a Star Wars game, wasn't very high up on the scale. :td:

I think the problem with the people who don't think this will be good (including me) is that we are expecting way to much. We want to see a game superior to the Star Wars Battlefront series, but this is a new type of Star Wars shooter. Remember Star Wars shooters don't have to be limited to Star Wars Battlefront style gameplay. I think that is the reason that they didn't name it Battlefront because people's expectations would be way off the charts. But with this small Xbox download game they can see if there is a market for this type of game and if it is successful, maybe create a Battlefront. Who knows, maybe the 2nd generation of Star Wars shooters is this First Assult game. That is my view on the subject now that I have had time to think about it. :happy:

All I can say is, it better be able to be modified the same as SWBF :P

March 13, 2013, 08:46:00 PM #36 Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:49:34 PM by Joseph
RC is a good game -- no battlefront, but lots of fun. When it came out I was struck by how non-star wars it seemed, but nevertheless I couldn't point to obvious existing games which it was copying (granted, I was like 11). Retrospectively of course it has a strong halo influence (although some players claim that the influence runs the opposite way, which I don't buy).
Nevertheless I would count it as a valuable addition to "the canon" because of its strong characters and story. Where SWBF put you in the classic battles from the movies, Repcom invented totally new aspects of the universe and pulled it off admirably, imo.

Don't get me wrong, RC is a great game, but in terms of feeling like a Star Wars game it wasn't that great. People say they like it because it almost isn't a Star Wars game and that's fine! :)

I think it's just how you initially think about it, I though SWBF was better when I first played it, now I think I am starting to like other games more. I used to think of SWRC like you sort of do kit, but I've played it for hours at a time, and it really pulls you into the Starwars Effect.

Experience changes things, whether for good or for bad.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on March 13, 2013, 08:32:31 PM
All I can say is, it better be able to be modified the same as SWBF :P
It won't be modable because its an xbox exclusive.
I'm not multi-clanning I just have lots of affiliates.

I don't think we should expect much more from it though really. It's an XBOX arcade game, no a genre challenging multi-platform title.

Quote from: {212}Cnl.Com Johnis on March 14, 2013, 08:01:46 AM
It won't be modable because its an xbox exclusive.
And?..
Truth be known, you can modify anything, just need to know how to do it }: D

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on March 14, 2013, 09:27:50 AM
And?..
Truth be known, you can modify anything, just need to know how to do it }: D
Its Illeagal to do so and your console will be ban from xbox live which im sure you need to play it because its Arcade.
I'm not multi-clanning I just have lots of affiliates.

I wouldn't say that.. I mean, as long as it stays in your property and doesn't effect anyone else, assuming you own it, and are not redistributing, publishing, or posting about it, who's going to tell you no?
Not too much they can do about it anyways, it's not like they are going to pay thousands of dollars to take you to court because 1 child bought a video game for 30-40 bucks...

March 14, 2013, 12:33:50 PM #44 Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:36:01 PM by tirpider
heh
As an XBOX Arcade title, all I will ever see of it is the vids and screenshots then.

Wife and I have discussed getting a new console. To justify a triple digit investment, it would have to have at least 5 titles we would buy and actually play. The 360 needs 4 more titles.

-edit (unless the Oddworld series picks back up.. )