Star Wars: First Assault, a Predecessor to SWBF3?

Started by Unit 33, March 11, 2013, 10:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 11, 2013, 10:54:50 AM Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:03:55 AM by UNIT 33
"Predecessor to Star Wars Battlefront 3"http://kotaku.com/5989910/leaked-star-wars-game-is-predecessor-to-battlefront-iii-source-says

QuoteAnd according to our source, who is familiar with the project but says he is "no longer familiar with the goings-on" at LucasArts, this game is a downloadable "predecessor" to Battlefront III—part of the studio's strategy to show that there's a market for Star Warsshooters running on the Unreal Engine.
The story of Star Wars: Battlefront III is long and well-documented. Commissioned as the third game in the Battlefront shooter series, Battlefront III has bounced from developer to developer over the past few years. Although LucasArts has yet to officially announce the game, leaked footage and images show what could have been, and development studio Free Radical has claimed the game was 99% finished when LucasArts killed it.
Star Wars: First Assault, our source says, would lead up to Battlefront III. This new Battlefrontwould use nothing from the Battlefront III that has already been in production at studios like Free Radical and Slant Six, our source says. Instead, LucasArts would build Battlefront IIIbased on code from First Assault.

According to our source, a small team has already been prototyping vehicles for Battlefront III. Current code allows you to fly a TIE Fighter or ride an AT-ST walker.
There are no vehicles in First Assault, nor are there Jedi. LucasArts intentionally decided not to use the Battlefront name so expectations wouldn't be too high, our source says. And the game is almost done.
But Star Wars: First Assault may never actually make it out of the studio.
Last September, when executives at LucasFilm—the parent company of LucasArts—found out that Disney had signed an agreement to purchase the company, things got murky. LucasFilm froze all hiring and new game announcements, our source says. They had planned to announceFirst Assault and launch a closed beta by the end of September—which explains the Xbox listing leak on October 1—and First Assault was supposed to be out this spring.
So since September, employees at LucasArts have been working on the game with no knowledge as to whether or not it will actually come out. According to our source, LucasArts is "bleeding talent" as employees wait to see what executives at Disney and LucasFilm want to do with First Assault and other games the studio is working on.The status of First Assault—like the status of Star Wars 1313 and other projects that LucasArts is currently working on—remains unclear today. The new direction of LucasFilm is also unclear—just today, the company announced that they would no longer be releasing of theClone Wars television show on Cartoon Network.
We've reached out to LucasArts for comment and will update should we hear back from them.
For now, our source says, the only way to get games like First Assault out of carbonite might be for Star Wars fans to speak up.
"Fans should tell Disney/Lucas loud and clear they don't want  :censored:  titles from random developers; they want games to be taken seriously, and they will only pay for quality," the source said. "I believe that if Disney/Lucas lets LucasArts die, it means the death of Star Wars as a storied game franchise is right behind it."

March 11, 2013, 11:03:56 AM #1 Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:12:27 AM by {Alpha}Gold Man
If that screenshot is from Star Wars: First Assault... I will have a need for an Xbox 360! (or the next-gen console of Microsoft)

Though I admit it's a murky space that LucasArts is in with Disney on them. I really hope that Star Wars 1313 will come out, as does this game. That screenshot is just too spectacular to not be released!

Oh, and just 'cause I was looking around for more news about this, I found another image. I think it's some imperial facility on Tatooine, judging by the buildings in the far out background (near top of screenshot).

Cool blend between today's FPS and Star Wars. I can't wait!

I will say that if there isn't 3rd person, I'll be a little disappointed.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 11, 2013, 03:41:14 PM
I will say that if there isn't 3rd person, I'll be a little disappointed.
Surely there will be, only more primitive games have only first person...
Even GM8 engines can handle that XD....

Well I don't even know why I care, since I don't have an Xbox 360 so I wouldn't be able to play the game.  :shrug:
But I have to say I have seen video's for a CoD4 Star Wars mod and it looks awesome. So this could be pretty cool. But we all know, it won't be like SWBFI.  :confused:

Looks interesting. But it also looks like it will be a xBox exclusive. I hope I'm wrong but it you know Microsoft and their blasted exclusives.

Quote from: SleepKiller on March 11, 2013, 04:02:23 PM
Looks interesting. But it also looks like it will be a xBox exclusive. I hope I'm wrong but it you know Microsoft and their blasted exclusives.

Yeah, man.  They never, ever come out on PC.  Never.

C'mon, man.

It's a downloadable only title, don't forget Battlefield 1943 a PC version of it was planned be got cancelled before it saw the light of day. Microsoft is probably the wrong person to blame how about "publishers"?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 11, 2013, 03:45:21 PM
But I have to say I have seen video's for a CoD4 Star Wars mod and it looks awesome. So this could be pretty cool. But we all know, it won't be like SWBFI.

ya ive seen that vid too, looks pretty cool
i think it would be cool to have something like that, but at the same time not sure how i would feel if it played more like cod then swbf1
i dont think it will do as well if it is to much like cod
(it almost looks that way with the "deployable ready" txt)
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

Quote from: «ΙΞ¢KØ» on March 11, 2013, 04:12:09 PM
ya ive seen that vid too, looks pretty cool
i think it would be cool to have something like that, but at the same time not sure how i would feel if it played more like cod then swbf1
i dont think it will do as well if it is to much like cod
(it almost looks that way with the "deployable ready" txt)

I think it looks more like Battlefield than CoD.

Quote from: SleepKiller on March 11, 2013, 04:07:44 PM
It's a downloadable only title, don't forget Battlefield 1943 a PC version of it was planned be got cancelled before it saw the light of day. Microsoft is probably the wrong person to blame how about "publishers"?

Oh, yeah, you're right on that; I was thinking something more along the lines of the Halo franchise.  My bad.

The cynical response:
This game looks rubbish, it's an Xbox exclusive, there's a lack of third person and it looks like a generic FPS with some Star Wars things in it that's been made without passion for one reason only, a quick cash grab.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on March 12, 2013, 12:00:17 AM
The cynical response:
This game looks rubbish, it's an Xbox exclusive, there's a lack of third person and it looks like a generic FPS with some Star Wars things in it that's been made without passion for one reason only, a quick cash grab.
Agreed

March 12, 2013, 03:36:18 PM #13 Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:45:11 PM by Kit Fisto
Quote from: UNIT 33 on March 12, 2013, 12:00:17 AM
The cynical response:
This game looks rubbish, and it looks like a generic FPS with some Star Wars things in it that's been made without passion for one reason only, a quick cash grab.
In the games defense isn't that what the original SWBFI was? Pretty much a rip off to Battlefield? We all know that SWBFI has so much more to it but from a cynical defense.  ;)
[spoiler]For the record I completely agree with you, it looks like a quick way to make money.[/spoiler]

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 12, 2013, 03:36:18 PM
In the games defense isn't that what the original SWBFI was? Pretty much a rip of to Battlefield?
yeah, but better to be a rip of a good game than a rip of a bad/bland one