Who wants to ask if we can buy the name server for SWBF :)

Started by Led, November 08, 2012, 06:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: SleepKiller on November 08, 2012, 07:37:52 PM
A wrapper would be the more legal path to follow though.
A wrapper could be more than just a simple patch.

I'm remembering the level manager frontends for doom.

It could be a simple gui simular to the dedicated server gui, that could help manage commandline options, mods and addon levels.  With the option of changing the masterserver address on startup.

I can think of a lot of pre-start-up options that would make it a worthwhile project, even without the memory modification part.

-------

Isn't there more going on than just finding the master server though?

I'm thinking about the log on to gamespy page and the ID managment thats going on when playing online.

-------

Quote from: {TcF}=Rick={G}(305th-Infantry) on November 08, 2012, 08:13:40 PM
Has there been any major announcement from Gamespot or Lucasarts reguarding the online play disability?

No announcment as far as I know.  It may just be another one of the many outages thats happend in the past.

I hate to say it, but they won't sell you it in a way you could possibly use it.

Putting up a Masterserver for SWBF could possibly be quite easy (with the proper files) but the real problem is.....they can't give you access to gamespy servers. (And you need that to make it work)

And they can't give you control over gamespy connections (login before playing from server list)

And if you tried to use any server other then the gamespy server you'll fail because you have no way to change what masterserver SWBF looks for without truly editing the core files. something that can't likely be done correctly without the source files for SWBF.

....Even if you manage it, if it ends up too complicated....and it would realistically you'll have those 10/20 dedicated people sure but the community that was on the pc servers would be gone in a matter of months due to lack of activity.

What i'd suggest....is keep using Tunngle, Gameranger (that works for PC's now right?) and Direct Connections. Advertise lots.

The mac community never had servers outside of DCs and it managed to stay alive for quite a while :) also complaining to Glu can't hurt.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

I for one at least know fully well how impossible it is. In my opinion this is just an "wouldn't it be cool" topics that really won't ever happen.

As long as we are dreaming, source code and scripts with a 'special' licence agreement, delivered on a golden platter by a certain mouse would make for a very good day :)

Quote from: Hardcore on November 09, 2012, 12:57:17 AM

What i'd suggest....is keep using Tunngle, Gameranger (that works for PC's now right?) and Direct Connections. Advertise lots.

The mac community never had servers outside of DCs and it managed to stay alive for quite a while :) also complaining to Glu can't hurt.

Important note:   DC's are not working either as they apparently also use the Master Server somehow.
I've not tried Gameranger, but I believe that it requires directX which precludes the use of a rented server.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

So, if this is long term...
What is the solution? Tuggle?
What we really should be asking is what is wrong with it. Is it just a regular outage or Did Disney/Gamespy decide the didn't want to run it anymore? Everyone seems very frantic about this and i don't know how you expect everyone to pay to buy something that wont work anyway... But..Has anyone even just called them/emailed to see what the problem is exactly....(Something to work on if you haven't)

Quote from: {Recruit}FrenchFry on November 09, 2012, 04:56:45 AM
So, if this is long term...
What is the solution? Tuggle?
What we really should be asking is what is wrong with it. Is it just a regular outage or Did Disney/Gamespy decide the didn't want to run it anymore? Everyone seems very frantic about this and i don't know how you expect everyone to pay to buy something that wont work anyway... But..Has anyone even just called them/emailed to see what the problem is exactly....(Something to work on if you haven't)
in a short answer, no, and we dont know.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: {Recruit}FrenchFry on November 09, 2012, 05:04:06 AM
Well,
WE NEED TO FIND OUT THEN DON'T WE!
tell me how are we going to do so without them telling us? They havent given out any info whatsoever except: we are trying to fix it.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Then we do know... If they have said they are trying to fix it then it shouldn't be long term Emfisis on SHOULDN'T.

Best thing to do is wait for them to tell 'us' what was the problem, what they did, and what will happen ; then you could consider buying a master server.

Lets just remember it's only been 2 days. I'm sure, most, of us have gone that long without battlefront before. :)
If buying the server is genuinely an option and hosting fee's weren't extortionate I would buy/help buy the master server.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

November 09, 2012, 09:06:09 AM #43 Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:09:47 AM by RepublicCommando
Uhm, I can see SWBFgamers.com server check this pic out.

I believe you can connect to the servers IP threw Xfire, if you have the server bookmarked.
I'm trying it now...

Edit, I got as far as the 212 clan server: JOINING    SECONDS 10-9-8     thingy, but I had the wrong password.

OK, I have removed the password on the server (oops).  Please try to join it :)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet