Who wants to ask if we can buy the name server for SWBF :)

Started by Led, November 08, 2012, 06:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Josh on November 08, 2012, 07:00:19 PM
Actually, if swbf3 comes out they might sell the trio as a set.
Chances are slim SWBF3 will ever be released now that Disney owns LucasArts.

I think it's worth at least drafting a letter.  If they say no-way, then vlan is the future.

One reason for their purchase of IGN and gamespy might be that they intend to become thier own online gamming community, like steam. With that would come a frontend application with ads, so any game that's played on it would generate ad revenue.  In that case, then geting them to plug SWBF back in may be the only option. I doubt they will willingly part out something with profit potential.

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 08, 2012, 06:52:37 PM
We could always hex edit the EXE to point to a different address (Although there are many legal issues surrounding that and should be consider as a last resort.).

I've thought about this one.  We can't redistribute a modified exe, but what about a 3rd party patch?

Hehe. I don't know how you would donate $ without giving away personal info.
Led, would you buy it? Why doesn't someone call them up now to see if they even consider it? But don't ask anymore than that...

Quote from: tirpider on November 08, 2012, 07:09:33 PM
I've thought about this one.  We can't redistribute a modified exe, but what about a 3rd party patch?
3rd party patch compiled from source files? Or 3rd part patch that messes with the game as it starts up?

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 08, 2012, 07:14:51 PM
3rd party patch compiled from source files? Or 3rd part patch that messes with the game as it starts up?

At this point in time, I would find a way to get a new exe out the door.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I think you are all a tad bit desparate. There ARE other games you know :P
And, doesn't direct connection still work? Why don't you just use that?... I know its not as efficient (as server list), but its better than paying potentially ALOT of $$.. Just saying, I don't think purchasing the server will be the best idea in the world.    (but this is all just my opinion)

Edit:: 2 posts appeared as I was typing this.

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 08, 2012, 07:14:51 PM

Just re-read the EULA that came with bfbuilder.
I believe the relevant part is :
Quote(2)     New Levels may not modify any COM, EXE, DLL or other executable files.

A new exe would be easiest, but a complete lisense breach.
A patch would be a little ackward, but do-able, and also a breach.

So, we would need a wrapper that loaded the exe, then modify the relevant information in memory at runtime.
That would be a mess getting it to work the same across platforms and would brobably get eaten alive by folks AV software.

We could ask LA for permission to make a patch....

-edit
Quote from: RepublicCommando on November 08, 2012, 07:17:04 PM
I think you are all a tad bit desparate. There ARE other games you know :P

Yeah.. other games..
Even if MP is gone, I'll still be stuck on SWBF1. The engine at this state of development is still my favorite one.  Newer engines are impressive, but lack the feel of this particular title.

Well, given the size of the community, we could just teach people how to make their own patch :P
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Oh gosh no some of these guys can't even get Tunngle working and you expect them to be able to modify exes? :P

AutoIT script, pehaps?

-edit
Posted safely on pastebin... of course.

You were right about a wrapper and AV software. I can picture it now...

Quote from: A NoobI dwnloded it and it is a vrus my anti-virus software sid so.

A wrapper would be the more legal path to follow though.

AutoIT exe's sometimes get flagged as well. It's enough of a problem that they have a sticky in thier forum about it.

Play other games!? The only game I play is SWBF1 ( and 2 at times ). I'm not a "gamer" and if swbf online officially ended, yea I would be sad but I would still play singleplayer.

I say worry about OBTAINING the swbf online before talking about modding the exe.  :cheers:

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 08, 2012, 07:45:17 PM
Play other games!? The only game I play is SWBF1 ( and 2 at times ). I'm not a "gamer" and if swbf online officially ended, yea I would be sad but I would still play singleplayer.

I say worry about OBTAINING the swbf online before talking about modding the exe.  :cheers:
Hear hear!
I do believe that considering buying the rights is a bit drastic though. Has there been any major announcement from Gamespot or Lucasarts reguarding the online play disability?