Who wants to ask if we can buy the name server for SWBF :)

Started by Led, November 08, 2012, 06:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Do you think GLU would sell it to us?  If we owned the name, we could set a name server to point to our IP address and run our own master server. 

Is this possible?  Feasible?  what do you think?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

It would probably not be cheap if they did... but its worth the try to ask if they decide to not restore it.

I think that is a GREAT idea! In fact I love it! That would be so awesome! But who would buy it, and who would ask...
They would have to be someone over 18 AT LEAST.
How much do you think they would sell it for us?
SleepKiller? You know the answers to this kinda stuff...  :happy:

Quote from: Buckler on November 08, 2012, 06:42:26 PM
Do you think GLU would sell it to us?  If we owned the name, we could set a name server to point to our IP address and run our own master server. 

I am 100% for this idea. Someone should try to contact GLU and see if they would be willing to sell it. I'm not sure what changes would be needed to the dedicated hosting software, but maybe something can be done to the executable to 'redirect' to our own master server.

just for SWBF.  They gain nothing by keeping it, except us complaining about it.  I think all that needs to be done is have the server name re-direct to a new IP address.  I think SK may be able to give more insight.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I have an idea, it would take coordination but if a bunch of us all call in and complain about it, then like 15 min. later someone calls in and asks to buy it, they might just sell it! :cheer:

I also do agree with it 100%.
Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 08, 2012, 06:45:39 PM
I think that is a GREAT idea! In fact I love it! That would be so awesome! But who would buy it, and who would ask...
They would have to be someone over 18 AT LEAST.
How much do you think they would sell it for us?
SleepKiller? You know the answers to this kinda stuff...  :happy:
I think Led should ask since he probably is the only one among us who has the power to purchase it.

I think it could be perfectly possible to do. Feasible is another matter without knowing what kind of money you were looking at. A master server for SWBF ain't going to be the most intensive thing you could run on a server, I mean how many clients would we be looking at connecting at a time. A small VPS could probably handle it no problem.

My personal opinion not thinking about the obstacles opinion: I think it is a great idea, but I'm not asking.

Oh gosh I typed out the above stuff and six new replies were posted. Even if we just got the master server software it would be a start. We could always hex edit the EXE to point to a different address (Although there are many legal issues surrounding that and should be consider as a last resort.).

Quote from: Buckler on November 08, 2012, 06:42:26 PM

kit that can go 3 ways, they get annoyed and refuse to listen, they take it under consideration or they shut it down because they might feel neglected, and i dont think this will come cheap, but im for it but who will pay, will people pitch in from all around the community?
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: ComSharpshot on November 08, 2012, 06:54:51 PM
kit that can go 3 ways, they get annoyed and refuse to listen, they take it under consideration or they shut it down because they might feel neglected, and i dont think this will come cheap, but im for it but who will pay, will people pitch in from all around the community?
i would pitch in

If others will help pay I will be glad to donate money

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Very cool idea.

Running the physical master server isn't really a profitable thing for a discontinued game. So they might be up for it.

I wonder how much they would want for it, and papers would need to be signed.

ok sounds good, i think making an approach about owning a community where there are still around 100-150 users still online and that still play the game. it seems more demanding but also more persuadable :)
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: tirpider on November 08, 2012, 06:58:49 PM
Very cool idea.

Running the physical master server isn't really a profitable thing for a discontinued game. So they might be up for it.

I wonder how much they would want for it, and papers would need to be signed.
Actually, if swbf3 comes out they might sell the trio as a set.

Thought a way to get money:

joining tournaments will cost money or (and) pay 5.00 a month to be member of the site.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!