Disney Buys Lucas Film, Episode 7 in 2015.

Started by Unit 33, October 30, 2012, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: ComSharpshot on October 30, 2012, 05:16:42 PM
Couldn't this lead to certain Ideas of new product lines? *cough* Video Games *cough*
I hadn't realised that they had bought LucasArts and Lucasfilm, here's a quote from Disney and it doesn't look good for console/PC games;

Disney Interactive has moved away from console development recently and the first response from Disney chairman and CEO Robert A. Iger about making new Star Wars games was the following: 'We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console.'

'We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms.'

In other words they're not interested in making console games themselves but they are happy to licence the franchise out to other companies.

What this means for Star Wars 1313 is unclear, but a LucasArts rep speaking to Gamesindustry International insisted: 'For the time being all projects are business as usual. We are excited about all the possibilities that Disney brings'.

We're glad they are because, to paraphrase Han Solo, 'we've got a bad feeling about this'.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on October 31, 2012, 03:41:31 AM
to paraphrase Han Solo, 'we've got a bad feeling about this'.
I hope we're not going to need the quote from Lando "This deal keeps getting worse all the time."
But we probably will.

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on October 31, 2012, 03:41:31 AM
I hadn't realised that they had bought LucasArts and Lucasfilm, here's a quote from Disney and it doesn't look good for console/PC games;

Disney Interactive has moved away from console development recently and the first response from Disney chairman and CEO Robert A. Iger about making new Star Wars games was the following: 'We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console.'

'We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms.'

In other words they're not interested in making console games themselves but they are happy to licence the franchise out to other companies.

What this means for Star Wars 1313 is unclear, but a LucasArts rep speaking to Gamesindustry International insisted: 'For the time being all projects are business as usual. We are excited about all the possibilities that Disney brings'.

We're glad they are because, to paraphrase Han Solo, 'we've got a bad feeling about this'.
LucasArts is still a giant company that had big funds in it's bank accounts and will still have big funds in there bank accounts. I don't see them stopping game publishing any time soon.

It was as if a million voices cried out and were suddenly silenced...

In order for the fans to be happy, why doesn't Disney let us write the storyline?  :shrug:

I'm still not sure this is good or bad yet...
I just can't seem to stay away...

Now you guys all know me, I was going to go on some giant rant but I decided to just say this:
The Mayan's were right! The world is ending in 2012!!!!!  :'(

[spoiler]If Star Wars is about anakin how can they make another movie when he's dead?!  :blink: STUPID DISNEY!!!! I swear, if they srew up Star Wars, I will forever hate that company. [/spoiler]

Quote from: Kit Fisto on October 31, 2012, 06:25:15 AM
The Mayan's were right! The world is ending in 2012!!!!!  :'(
George lucas actually believes this, which is why he did it

Quote from: Kit Fisto on October 31, 2012, 06:25:15 AM
If Star Wars is about anakin how can they make another movie when he's dead?!  :blink: STUPID DISNEY!!!! I swear, if they srew up Star Wars, I will forever hate that company. [/spoiler]

Why do you think another star wars  movie will involve Anakin?  Ep 7 was always supposed to pick up after the Ewok party.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Oh, yes, I think now, it should be a wonderfull love story (Disney done many of them, in lot of fairy tales). Well, we already sow, wedding of Indiana Jones, and Marion, so why now, it shouldnt be a wedding of Han Solo and Leia, or Luke and Mara Jade? It should be so lovely story... :wub:
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Buckler on October 31, 2012, 07:24:52 AM

Why do you think another star wars  movie will involve Anakin?  Ep 7 was always supposed to pick up after the Ewok party.
Wasn't there originally going to be 9 or 12 films? Although recently George Lucas has said;
"I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Well at first i thought it was a bad idea too,but look at all the new stuff that is posible now.Maybe Disney will revamp the BF3 project or Republic Commando 2.On the other hand Disney could screw it all up(like some of there films).We just have to wait and see only time will tell.Best of luck Disney.
I'm not multi-clanning I just have lots of affiliates.

I personally hate the Old Republic time period, so hopefully they have the movie take place after or during The Empire.

No more lucas...  :tu:

Battlefront 3... more hope!!  :tu:

Quote from: regent on October 31, 2012, 04:13:00 AM
I hope we're not going to need the quote from Lando "This deal keeps getting worse all the time."
But we probably will.
:rofl:

Quote from: Joseph on October 31, 2012, 06:37:49 AM
George lucas actually believes this, which is why he did it
:rofl:
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

Here's what someone else wrote on my other forum (may contains words)

QuotePros:

.Lucas no longer has control of the franchise.

.For the first time in a long while we can allow ourselves even a little hope that a new Star Wars movie won't be disappointing.

.Maybe the original movies will be released without the special editions.

.There is an actual possibility that one day they'll remake the PT. Not soon, but one day.

.Lucas can return to the role of controlled idea guy.

.Disney are aware of how the prequels are perceived and how big Star Wars is. There is hope that they will take that into consideration and show a little more care with the material.

.Many writers and directors are going to fall over each other wanting to make a new Star Wars movie, unencumbered by the heavy hand of Lucas. Poor Andrew Stanton, I don't think they'll give him a chance. Whedon is probably running around trying to figure how to do this movie and Avengers 2 simultaneously. Peter Jackson is probably thinking of a way to get out of doing the sequel to the Hobbit.

.Disney have made good and bad movies. They have shown a willingness to nurture creativity. They are definitely a far cry from Lucas.

.I'm not against the idea of Mark Hamill having a cameo, or maybe even more. So long as he is not the hero.

.The prequels were so uniquely bad, it is hard to imagine something worse. And it would be nice to visit the Star Wars universe even in a generic sci-fi movies.

.It will be funny to see how prequel defenders react.

.Now that Lucas has 4 Billion, he can start building a working Death Star.

.I honestly don't think they'll remake the originals. They might make straight to video cartoons.

Cons:

.We are all afraid of the same thing -- the Disney are just interested in exploiting the franchise in the most generic and soulless way possible. We know that they'll make money even without much effort.

.Never say "how worse can it be?" You might find out. Remember how many disappointing movies come each year.

.Can Lucasfilm act independently of Lucas and create good material rather than EU crap?

.It is so easy to get it wrong. Even in the best case scenario, writing a sequel to Star Wars is no easy thing. Think Tron: Legacy. Think Crystal Skull. To write a good sequel, especially so late after the originals, requires more thought and creativity than your usual Hollywood material, or you'll end up with a poor imitation of the original.

.Contrary to what we tend to think, a Star Wars movie might fail financially as well as creatively. Audiences are much more jaded. They might end up spending millions and then fail and shove Star Wars into a deep closet next to all the other failed franchises.