Disney Buys Lucas Film, Episode 7 in 2015.

Started by Unit 33, October 30, 2012, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Heh, $4 Billion.  I guess I would sell my soul for that too  :whip:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Couldn't this lead to certain Ideas of new product lines? *cough* Video Games *cough*
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

October 30, 2012, 05:19:39 PM #17 Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:31:38 PM by Droideka
This could be very, very bad. Like 15 jar jar like characters popping up all over the screen bad.

Or, the film takes one of two plot lines suggested in the article Unit posted

1) It takes place 5 years after the Return Of the Jedi, the charactors have aged a bit and we can get a new plot line in. The movies would bring in a lot of old fans for every reason the original trilogy brought them in, and it would be appealing to newer audiences with lots of lasers and lightsaber fights. If the film is done correctly, I could see it making enough money to make the top 10 all time.

2) The film takes place in the Old Republic Era, and this gives the team alot of leeway in terms of where to set the story. It could be set in a time where the Republic and Jedi Order are just forming, though at that point there wouldn't be much conflict to write about. It could also be about the Hyperspace war, the events of KOTOR, or something after that. This would be a pretty cool idea too, and it would also be a money maker.

Generally, I think the franchise is in better hands with Disney than it is with Lucas. Lucas was way too involved in the making of the movie, and therefore ruined the prequel trilogy with meaningless crap and terrible acting, and nobody could really tell George that he was wrong.

This will give a very good IP some new perspective, and I think that with the right team the universe can be shaped into a roaring adventure of a trilogy.

Still though, I'll be apprehensive about this until we see some of the plot, actors, and trailers.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Quote from: ComSharpshot on October 30, 2012, 05:16:42 PM
Couldn't this lead to certain Ideas of new product lines? *cough* Video Games *cough*
It cud be strange, if it will be not so. Probably lot of videogames will be created.
Still, it is shame, but I guess, SWBF4 will be not created, and will be no new assets for SWBF series...
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Oh god...
Could this change the license for using the mod tools and assets?

Lucas films was bought not lucas files, so i was told :D

I thought Lucasarts was bought.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Ugh let me explain it. LucasFiles is not owned or operated by LucasArts they have nothing to do with the modtools. LucasFilm owns Lucas Arts so when Lucas Film was brought Disney became the owners of LucasArts as well. And LucasArts hold the rights to the modtools and can revoke them at any time. Hence why tirpider was wondering if it could change the licensing for it.

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 30, 2012, 06:50:48 PM
Ugh let me explain it. LucasFiles is not owned or operated by LucasArts they have nothing to do with the modtools. LucasFilm owns Lucas Arts so when Lucas Film was brought Disney became the owners of LucasArts as well. And LucasArts hold the rights to the modtools and can revoke them at any time. Hence why tirpider was wondering if it could change the licensing for it.
So what you're also saying is, if Disney makes a new trilogy of films they can release a new generation of Star Wars video games?  :moo:
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

October 30, 2012, 06:53:29 PM #24 Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:58:58 PM by tirpider
Lucasfilm LTD.
Pretty much the head company over it all, even Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound.
Lucasarts is a child company.

I was ok with Lucasfilm owning the derivative works produced through modding, but I am not a Disney fan at all.
I could easily say I hate them for more than the stupid mouse.

-edit...
I'm too time invested to quit for somthing like this.  The formats we use are so out-dated it's not funny.  They would have no use for anything but concepts.
But it certainly makes me think about affiliations.

-edit
sorry for the knee-jerk negativity.  I overthink things and sometimes it takes me a bit to put them into perspective.

Quote from: tirpider on October 30, 2012, 06:22:58 PM
Oh god...
Could this change the license for using the mod tools and assets?

No, I don't think so.  And if it did, I would not change :)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Regarding the plot of the seventh film, there was a relevant post in a thread in Reddit earlier this year.  I posted this earlier:

The main idea in one of the paragraphs: "In short, the Republic was completely and utterly unprepared for a real invasion, from a force that wasn't being controlled by a puppetmaster who was preventing either side from gaining an advantage until the moment was right. The kinds of fleets that were commonplace in the Empire would have been impossible for the Republic to even agree to create, let alone have the wherewithal to actually build. What Palpatine did was take a failing system and tear it out by the roots, replacing it with a brutally efficient, military-industrial focused society - one that could adequately prepare for an invasion of the scale of the Yuuzhan Vong were already beginning."

The comment's TL;DR: "TL;DR: The Emperor destroyed the Republic and built Death Stars to fight off an extragalactic invasion."

I don't want to be a pessimist, but
I'm sure this film will destroy the magic of Star wars for once and for all  :(.
It will just be another childish film with nothing more than action, a cheap story
making use of the star wars cliches and nothing refreshing. And then all kids will be hyperactive and violent.
And then they will conquer the world and that will be the end of mankind.

PS: I DON'T LIKE MICKEY MOUSE!!!

I fear and love this at the same time.
I fear it because it can lead to several things, more ewoks and gun guns, or a resurrected emperor, or an entire serie like Star Trek (i would hate it if it would come to that). 

But on the other hand, i love star wars, the time, the place, the people...(apart from some weird species).
The point is, star wars will continue to excist for everybody. It might be possible it'll be not as weird species as Lucas made.
It might even be possible they will create an entire different universe, a universe before Anakin (for example with KotOR). or they can make it a world after Luke, and start with one of his apprentices (hopefully not another Yoda).

But all of this is speculation, lets just wait and see what happens!

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

Yes, it wasn't catastrophic, when "Space Balls" was maded, as more funny variation of Star Wars story, so, why Disney version should be worster?
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf: