Gameranger and SWBF mac

Started by Kit Fisto, September 24, 2012, 09:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi swbfgamers and in particular the Mac players. I am just letting you all know that when ever I can play SWBF I will host a gameranger game. Please stop by gameranger every once in a while to see if I'm on! Almost every Saturday night ( pacific time ) I will be hosting a game. My goal is to revamp the SWBF mac community and get new members to SWBFgamers.com. Also make sure you have this patch: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=19 It fixes some bugs and other things. Also make sure you always have Tat3 in your addon folder.

P.S. Mr. Banthafodder, try to see if you can play on gameranger with the patch above. It might solve your problem, if not we should try to figure out what is going wrong...
P.P.S. Upon request I could do modmaps...

Quote from: Kit Fisto on September 24, 2012, 09:25:13 PM
P.S. Mr. Banthafodder, try to see if you can play on gameranger with the patch above. It might solve your problem, if not we should try to figure out what is going wrong...
P.P.S. Upon request I could do modmaps...

Well the problem of "version mismatch" is solved: It's just that I tried to join a game from a PC user.
(I've already got that patch by the way since more than 4 years  :P)
There are still two problems left:

1) Sometimes (I'm experiencing this since the beginning of the time I began to use Gameranger)
for a month my gameranger doesn't want to load. It says: There was no response after connecting to the gameranger server, but a month later it works again, a month after that month it doesn't work anymore, etc.
and at this time it isn't working again ( I will tell you when it works again)

2) our time difference: I live in the west of Europe, that's a 9 hour time difference, so when you play when it's night at your place, it wouldn't be a suitable hour for me. But we'll find a solution for that  :)

Hey Kit,whats your gameranger name? :O

September 25, 2012, 07:21:42 PM #3 Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:13:29 PM by Kit Fisto
Quote from: Mr. Banthafodder on September 25, 2012, 08:09:39 AM
Well the problem of "version mismatch" is solved: It's just that I tried to join a game from a PC user.
(I've already got that patch by the way since more than 4 years  :P)
There are still two problems left:

1) Sometimes (I'm experiencing this since the beginning of the time I began to use Gameranger)
for a month my gameranger doesn't want to load. It says: There was no response after connecting to the gameranger server, but a month later it works again, a month after that month it doesn't work anymore, etc.
and at this time it isn't working again ( I will tell you when it works again)

2) our time difference: I live in the west of Europe, that's a 9 hour time difference, so when you play when it's night at your place, it wouldn't be a suitable hour for me. But we'll find a solution for that  :)
Problem 1: try re-downloading/installing gameranger, if that doesn't work I suggest contacting gameranger support for more help.
Problem 2: yes that is a problem... But I guess you and Regent could play together!  :tu:

Quote from: Disciple on September 25, 2012, 08:15:02 AM
Hey Kit,whats your gameranger name? :O

My GR ID is in my profile.  :tu: Although it is useless to you because Mac's and PC's can't play SWBF together through GR.  :'(

EDIT: posted on GR forums asking about problems with cross platforming and PC's.

My GR name is "khy" (should be easy to find)

Man, logging back in... almost all my friends haven't logged in in at least 2/3 years... :(

:bye: memories

Yea it makes me sad to think that at one point the SWBF Mac online was really active. I completely missed it. :(

Hello everybody! As you all know I am a mac. And the SWBF mac community is very small and not very connected. I would like to change that. So I came up with:
                                     PROJECT MAC

This is my attempt to spearhead the revival of the SWBF Mac players and the SWBF Mac community. This will include rounding up all of the SWBF mac players and have them meet at some forum. It could be this one, or it could be a different one!
My goal is to make playing SWBF on gameranger fun, I just played for about an hour and no one showed up. But maybe if we were organized and had "clan nights" only we aren't a clan, just a bunch of people it would draw the other mac players out!
Now there are I think 5 or 6 Mac players on this site. If you guys would like to help me in this, it would be a lot easier! I know other mac players are out there, they just don't visit this site. Once I got enough people we would have something like weekend SWBF gameranger "parties" where we would just play on gameranger with stock maps but in the discription, give a link to out "clan" page!!

Here comes the begging part. I ask you few Mac players to help me in this cause ( imagine heroic music playing in the backround ) to make the SWBF Mac community what it once was! We can do it!  :rofl:
But really it is worth a try right? If you want to help me post below!

I am one of the old Mac players :) Ill see if i can round up a few of the old ones :)

September 27, 2012, 05:00:49 PM #8 Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:48:26 PM by Kit Fisto
Thanks! If you can round them up, can you ask them to get an account on here and post so I know they exist?  :)

Given that your newest Mac OS wont allow SWBF to work, you have an uphill battle.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I have a MacBook 10.5.8 and it works fine with the 1.2 Rev A patch. Regent and other mac players, what model do you have?

This is what AG had said
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3738.msg39501#msg39501

Here's what Aspyr has to say about the issue at hand:

As you have probably heard, the new Mac OS (Lion) will not support Rosetta. Aspyr has been around for a long time, and we have plenty of titles that that were not updated to run Natively on Intel processors. Rosetta was part of the Mac OS that helped applications made for PowerPC Mac Processors to run on Intel Processors. Some of our older titles were made Universal with patches we issued. For our users who still wish to run older non-Universal titles and have the latest Mac OS (10.7), we recommend creating a partitioned drive with an earlier version of MacOS so you can boot in the older OS and play these games using Rosetta emulation.

Source:http://support.aspyr.com/index.php/kb/article/803

Oh yes. But if you do the partition thing it would work?

From what it says, it would appear so.  Now you just have to convince people to partition their hard drive and boot off an older OS, if they know how to do that.  Good luck  ;)

here is working link to aspyr
http://support.aspyr.com/entries/20730128-powerpc-games-in-mac-os-10-7-lion

Lol. So SWBF wouldn't work but my Lego Star Wars I and II games would.  :rofl:
Quote from: Buckler on September 27, 2012, 09:06:18 PM
From what it says, it would appear so.  Now you just have to convince people to partition their hard drive and boot off an older OS, if they know how to do that.  Good luck  ;)
I am trying to get people who still play SWBF but just not online or in an organized fashion.