PC dedicated server internet.

Started by {TcF}Dr.Penguin, June 23, 2011, 08:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys I'm back for the summer! And I was wondering if there is anything that could fix this problem: When there are like 10 people on my dedicated servers every one starts lagging is there any thing that can fix this? Thank you.

June 23, 2011, 10:16:34 AM #2 Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:22:21 AM by Shap
Perhaps you have a low internet-connection? I can host only 6 persons, if there are more, they will have terrible lag.

NETWORKING OPTIONS

Hosting Bandwidth: Select the upstream bandwidth of your PC's network connection. Upstream bandwidth means the amount of data that your PC can upload from your Internet connection. Typical DSL or cable connections can upload between 128 kilobits per second (kbps) and 256 kbps. At these speeds, the maximum number of human players in a game should be no more than 4-6 players. A 1 megabit or better (T1)connection is required to host a session with 16 human players. If you set the Hosting Bandwidth higher than your actual connection, you will experience poor performance in your game.

Maybe you should turn off some programs like: Skype, XFire, Steam,...because these programs reduce your internet resources. And don't forget to close all websites you are on.

Are you hosting with your game disk?  If so, be sure to set speed for your online hosting options appropriately.
If you are using the dedicated server software, be sure that the maximum bandwidth is set appropriately.

visit www.speedtest.net
to get an idea of what your UPLOAD speed is.  UPLOAD speed is the limiting factor for hosting, and is usually not as good as your DOWNLOAD speed.

My rule of thumb is you can get about 10 players for every 2 Mbps of upload speed, before high pings become a problem.

Finally, lag can become a problem if your computer CPU is overloaded.  Are playing on the same PC?  Have you stopped un-needed processes?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

July 08, 2011, 08:32:30 AM #4 Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 08:34:38 AM by {TcF}Dr.Penguin
Thanks, It's Dedicated Server from my computer. My Upload Speed is 0.47, is that bad?

What could I get if I wanted to make it better? Better Router or something?

It depends on your ISP.  If you have DSL, then that is probably maxed out.  If you have cable, then you may want to get a new cable modem, if its more than a couple of years old--but that may or may not help.

If you are using a wireless connection, there can be things that can be done to help.

Tell us what your ISP is.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet