How to UV map an existing model?

Started by swgaming1015, January 07, 2018, 07:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 07, 2018, 07:41:00 AM Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:43:37 AM by swgaming1015
I downloaded a model that has already been UV mapped. How would I reapply this texture in XSI? What form of texture projection would I select? This is what I see when I open up the XSI texture editor.

And what exactly would be projected here anyway? Is area between the red squares that is projected on the model or is it the area between the blue squares? Will I just have to retexture this from scratch or is there any projecting this as it is?

Thanks.

Higher Res image: https://image.ibb.co/n2XWxG/image1.png

January 07, 2018, 07:55:31 AM #1 Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:06:33 AM by RepComm
If you want to use a different texture, you may not need to edit the uvs at all (unless that other texture doesn't for quite right, then you'll have to adjust uvs). In that case, just open up the material editor, open the material with your texture, and find the diffuse color plug (should be pink, since texture is already applied) and click it to change the texture. You could also delete the material and make one, selecting the texture you want, then reapplying that material to your object. The uvs don't get deleted, they are persistent with the models they're for.

The red you see is selected polygons, but all of the triangles you see there (blue included) are the models shape mapped to 2d space.

If you take some selected faces, you can use those projection tools on just those to disconnect and project them to some other mapping like spherical, cube map, cylinder, etc. Which will treat your model (or just selected faces/elements) as if they were whatever shape and try to fit all of corresponding uvs on the texture accordingly.

A good truck to keep in mind is that you don't have to do all the uvs at once (which can be pretty daunting!), but just looking for basic shapes in the 3d model, and selecting those faces to work on, and applying the appropriate projection to start with

It looks like a turret, given your texture and triangle strips, so cylinder projections should probably be close to the effect you'll want to work with if you do need to modify the uvs.

Thanks for your help. I have one thing to point out.

"The red you see is selected polygons"

The thing is, I actually have my entire model selected when I open the textue editor. There are no polygons left to select. Does this mean only the red area will be mapped to my entire model?

Also, if the area inside the blue triangles already fits my model, what texture projection do I apply to make sure it maps exactly as it is? Best fit? UV? Planner XY?