The Rumour Mill

Started by Giftheck, February 11, 2015, 01:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 11, 2015, 01:54:02 PM Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:55:59 PM by Gistech
Okay, so we don't have a dedicated rumour thread. So I thought I'd start one. However, I won't let you guys do all the work for me, so here's what I view to be a pretty significant rumour:

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2015/02/rumor-star-wars-battlefront-to-feature.html

QuoteThe story of Star Wars: Battlefront's campaign will span pretty much the entire Star Wars saga.
    Star Wars Battlefront will feature segments in which you play as both the good guys (Old Republic, Rebellion and Republic) and bad guys (Separatists and the Empire). It was specifically stated that there will be a small portion of prequel trilogy content. You will participate in a couple of battles from the Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and the space battle above Corsucant from the beginning of Revenge of the Sith.
    The majority of the campaign will take place during the original trilogy era. All of the battles and settings that you would expect to be there will be playable. It was said that the campaign itself is pretty long when compared to other first person shooters.
    There will be some segments of the campaign which take place between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. There won't be a lot because in their words "Lucasfilm has a lot of plans for that era."
    The last section of the campaign takes place before and during the opening segments of The Force Awakens. Don't expect anything too revealing, because the game is expected to ship about a month before the movie releases.
    For both the Republic (that's what the good guys are being called in the production here) and Empire sections you will be playing characters that actually appear in The Force Awakens.
    EA/DICE was allowed into Pinewood Studios for a few days to scan and capture props, sets, etc for recreation in the game.
    At one point either during either the portion between episodes 6 and 7 or the portion from the beginning of The Force Awakens a character with the last name Tarkin appears.
    The scale of the multiplayer is going to be absolutely massive with up 64 players participating on each side.
    Space to land battles are absolutely happening, but will only be available in certain game modes.
    There will be a "hero" system in place, where as you play you accumulate points that you can eventually cash in to play as a "hero" character. These characters are extremely powerful and have abilities that are not available to the normal characters that you play for most of the matches. The system is constantly in flux, but as it is now, pretty much everyone have a chance to play as a hero at least once per match.
    The Downloadable Content plan for the game is "extremely aggressive". Expect up to five DLC packs for the game, with the first coming out before the end of 2015. Each pack will be themed, with the first two or three being exclusively based around content from The Force Awakens.
    The game will ship with several The Force Awakens characters already, but some won't be added until DLC. Specifically all of the characters in the trailers will be available at launch, as will new versions of the X-wing an TIE fighter.
    Tons of new ships and vehicles.
    The contents of each DLC will contain at least three new maps, new hero characters, and new vehicles/ships.
    I saw a character model for the new Stormtroopers, the model for the new X-wings, and some random models of guns, grenades, and other things like that. However, the most interesting thing was a picture of a screen from one of the employee databases.
    It was as a checklist that the department heads can go through to see whats been complete, whats been bug tested, etc. It was basically just a black screen with lines and lines of text posts, with comments and suggestions under each post. What was most interesting about this is what was listed. This particular screen I saw was for a listing of maps for the multiplayer mode. There was a lot of stuff that you'd expect to see in a game like this like:

Hoth: EP5
Endor: EP6
Alderaan
Corscucant
Yavin: EP4

Like I said, nothing major. EXCEPT for this listing that I saw

Tatooine: EP1
Tatooine; EP4
Tatooine: EP7

Now, I know that's not concrete evidence that the desert planet from The Force Awakens is Tatooine, but I thought it was interesting because I know there was been some debate about that subject.

If true, it's reassuring they're not excluding the Clone Wars era entirely and I can imagine playing through the Battle of Coruscant as it was meant to be played (let's face it, no video game portrayal has gotten close so far)
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

It all seems reasonable, except the hyper-aggressive DLC... which doesn't actually surprise me too much.

The new hero system seems reasonable... but the 'point' system it alludes to might suggest SWBF is going to inherit the point-driven system that has made modern FPS's a mess of constant GUI notifcation messages.

Rumours heh? Well here's one : Uprise is apparently the company that created the Battlelog System for the Battlefield games : http://uprise.se/

Notice the "our works" section, it features "Star Wars : Battlefront" which would mean that we will be using a Battlelog system to play online.

Unlike most, that is a rather optimistic rumor.

I have mixed feelings about this. Battlelog has proven to be working quite well, but in the same time, I think it's quite a hassle to need to open the game, then open an internet page to be able to play the game. I'm used to the good old multiplayer lists ingame.

Yea I expected DICE to go DLC heavy but I have faith, especially after playing the Hardline Beta.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on February 11, 2015, 06:10:59 PM
Yea I expected DICE to go DLC heavy but I have faith, especially after playing the Hardline Beta.
I'm anticipating the DLC, which is why I intend to pre-order the Season Pass version (so I get all the DLC as it comes out, rather than having to fork money after getting the game).

I just hope their promotions aren't so incredibly spotty like Ubisoft's Watch Dogs was (there were several editions, all with various degrees of content, no version had all of the content, so you essentially had to buy multiple editions to get all the exclusive content).

For me, as long as I get the Season Pass, I'l be happy with that (not going to fork over $120 for the extra stuff).

February 12, 2015, 12:10:44 AM #8 Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:25:19 AM by Gistech
While there's no indication of anything beyond a campaign for Single Player so far, I'll be getting a PS4 in the middle of the year and a year's PS+ subscription for this game specifically when it comes out. I'm just hoping they'll include a hero mode for fun.

If the rumours here are true, inclusion of Clone Wars maps is encouraging as it suggests they won't be disregarding the era. Its inclusion brings back memories of the WWII section of Bad Company 2. I'm hoping we get to see the Battle of Geonosis and the execution of Order 66, and it'll be interesting to play parts of the campaign from both sets of the bad guys' perspective (which we haven't been able to do in a Battlefront game since the first one as it's the only one where you can play as the CIS in the campaign). In any case, it sounds like the campaign will be the most substaintial one DICE has done since the Bad Company games (let's face it, BF3 and BF4 had very underwhelming campaigns).
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Quote from: Gistech on February 12, 2015, 12:10:44 AM
I'll be getting a PS4 in the middle of the year and a year's PS+ subscription for this game specifically when it comes out.
I have the same plan, my purchase of a PS4 hinges on the quality of this game.

Quote from: Unit 33 on February 12, 2015, 12:52:14 AM
I have the same plan, my purchase of a PS4 hinges on the quality of this game.

My PS4 purchase is guaranteed, it's the PS+ purchase hinges on this game. There are quite a few other games out on PS4 that I want to get.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Gistech, I am with ya on that last post.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I wanna get it on PC, but i'll need to upgrade from good'ol XP and my crappy graphics card first, and doing that isn't cheap. *sigh* I'll probably end up with a console version, which is ok, but I just enjoy playing games on PC more.

Any word if it will be released on PC or not?

ALso, hi guys.