Book thread

Started by Dark_Phantom, March 27, 2014, 09:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Post here a good book you've read.
The next person to post should post something about a book before, even if they have never heard of it (which means go to google and search the book and post something).  Learn something from the experience :)
*Note: if there is another book thread, I'm sorry.  Unit 33 wanted a book thread.

George Orwell's 1984.  I thought it was a good book.  So many references in it are used today.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

1984 is disturbingly more relevant today then it was in the late 40s, as Britain uses extensive surveillance (about 20% of the worlds security cameras are in Britain, even though Britain only accounts for 1% of the population).

I read Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre. That was some really heavy stuff.

Quote from: Unit 33 on March 28, 2014, 12:22:49 AM

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/xd9h09/1984-mac-tv-ad-parody

on a related note i recall having to read that book for what i assume at this point was for school and i didnt read any of it but the concept was cool especially since were livin in the 1983 so to speak haha....

March 28, 2014, 04:26:40 AM #3 Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:47:27 AM by Gold Man
Hmm, only A book, not bookS plural, Phantom? ;)

As for 1984, I've never read the book, however I do plan to read it one day (when I actually remember I want to read it amongst the chaos of life). I've always heard lots about it though, and yet the only visual exposure I've had to 1984 is the Mac commercial. :P

Now, for a book of mine,

The Giver, by Lois Lowry.

The book is good, however I didn't like the ending all that much. Then again, the sequels for the book didn't come out when I read it, so there's a chance it got better as a series. They are making a movie for it this year with Jeff Bridges and Meryl Streep, so that might also revive my interest in it.

Hm, I've never read the Giver. Some good books I've read recently : Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, The Eye of Minds, and UnSouled. I liked the Eye of Minds the best, makes me think...

March 28, 2014, 11:27:35 AM #5 Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:33:25 AM by CommanderAwesome
Haven't read any of the above, but I have read: All of the Harry Potter books, the fist 3 1/2 Percy Jackson books, the three Golden Compass books, a couple of Star Wars and Star Trek books, some other books I can't remember. Though I plan to read The Hobbit someday.

I,Q. By Roland Smith, Bruiser by Neal Shrusterman, and Cracker! The Best Dog in Vietnam by Cynthia Kadohata
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Disciples of the Mysterium by Michael Tsarion

Been meaning to read and/or finish:

-Fight Club (dat 10/10 movie tho)
-Sherlock Holmes
-These books: http://i46.fastpic.ru/big/2013/0503/6e/cd08ef498e62c45f7e9022f1829df96e.jpg
-Various textbooks about biochem & finance (for the lulz)
-A lot of sci-fi stuff

Hmm, The Giver is another anti-utopian book that I need to read...

You should look up the book Brave New World.  Another anti-utopian book that uses artificial genetic placement to structuralize society.  If you didn't understand that:
They make the children in test tubes and give them a place in society, where they are perfectly happy because they have been trained to believe that they are in the perfect place for them.  Except for the ones who get alcohol in their blood surrogate  :shrug:
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on March 30, 2014, 09:12:15 AM
You should look up the book Brave New World.  Another anti-utopian book that uses artificial genetic placement to structuralize society.  If you didn't understand that:
They make the children in test tubes and give them a place in society, where they are perfectly happy because they have been trained to believe that they are in the perfect place for them.  Except for the ones who get alcohol in their blood surrogate  :shrug:

I read Island recently, which is also by Huxley. It's a utopian novel, like a counterpoint to Brave New World. See the chart located here for a comparison: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_(Huxley_novel)#Major_themes

Recommended.

I've read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne probably... 20 times? Man, I love it. Easy read but it's really good.  :tu:
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

20,000 Leagues is a great read, it's funny when Verne goes off on one and starts raving about fish.

The War of the Worlds is an excellent book, probably the progenitor of all modern alien invasion stories.