3d Modeling [Work In Progress... forever]

Started by tirpider, June 08, 2013, 04:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok! Thanks Goldman, I think I found it. :happy:
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

January 29, 2015, 10:32:51 AM #181 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:40:18 AM by Epifire
Quote from: Norwood on January 29, 2015, 07:12:18 AM
It says it was moved, and refreshing the page doesn't appear to be working for me. :/ Any ideas?

Yeah sorry bout that. I'm getting rather upset with Photobucket and the way it's been handling my pictures these days. Think I'ma just gonna edit that back to using the oddly cropped thumbnails, so at least people can see it without all the hassle.
photobucket limit image removed

Epifire that looks pretty sweet, kinda looks like something from Silent Hill. Have you heard of Substance Painter?

I finally got Quixel to work! I'm gonna start texturing my models (with Quixel and Substance Painter).

Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on January 30, 2015, 07:59:09 PM
Epifire that looks pretty sweet, kinda looks like something from Silent Hill. Have you heard of Substance Painter?

I finally got Quixel to work! I'm gonna start texturing my models (with Quixel and Substance Painter).

Yeah I'm considering a Substance workflow tbh. Not so keen on the newest stuff with Quixel (but I've been kinda lazy about learning their new workflow).

February 01, 2015, 11:04:50 AM #184 Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:06:23 AM by {PLA} Van STING
Here is the spaceship interior with more detail (some areas aren't finished) and with a window nook, it would be cool to sit there  looking out at a space scape while reading a science fiction book, that would probably be about humans never getting the ability for manned interstellar travel.

I'm probably going to learn Quixel and Substance painter.

Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on February 01, 2015, 11:04:50 AM
Here is the spaceship interior with more detail (some areas aren't finished) and with a window nook, it would be cool to sit there  looking out at a space scape while reading a science fiction book, that would probably be about humans never getting the ability for manned interstellar travel.

I'm probably going to learn Quixel and Substance painter.
Am I the only one getting a vibe like Alien or Star Wars: Death Troopers looking at that screenshot?

Hey hoped you didn't mind me marking all over your render, just a couple tips and things to maybe help out if you plan on getting unique UVs setup for a lot of this. Edge transition from one mesh to another is really a make or break for how believable the art looks. You seem to be off to a great start in terms of design, as it's not near as boxed and predictable as mine.

Now my points about mirroring for UVs and splitting the top, even with something really simple is the resolution. Cause unless you want a really apparent UV seam at the top, or plan on making one side take up a whole UV sheet, it's hard to make the best of that in terms of texture resolution. My advice is just to have some sort of simple (or complex?) mesh to handle the middle right at the top of those supports, so they flow right into the other and look awesome at the same time. If you don't want it look tiled either, just make some copies of that mesh when they're baked and UVd, so you can have multiple textures. In fact depending on how you end up making the texture all you really need to change for something like that are detail maps to look unique again.

I may be covering things that seem really obvious (I wasn't sure how much texture work you'd done) but just one of the biggest things I can say, is mirror things when ever it doesn't break the look. And scale UV islands down that aren't as important of details. That way when you look at the primary details of the model it's got great support for texture detail. A pixel saved is a pixel gained.  ;)

February 02, 2015, 02:39:46 PM #187 Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:02:35 PM by {PLA} Van STING
I haven't really thought about how I would texture it prior to your great advice.

Here's my plan:
I'll probably not have the final wall pieces mirrored because the final hallway wont be completely mirrored. I'll make around 8 different texture variants for the more repeated pieces and wall segment (the one that has the curved supports that protrude into the walkway), and maybe 2 texture variants for the other wall segments. The details on the side of the supports are interchangeable and I will probably make 1 texture for them and have them on one UV map or 2 separate ones if they need more resolution. The larger pieces will each be on they're own UV map so they're higher resolution. For any seams I could add in paneling detail to hide the seam. I'll make lots of different texture variants for the floor/walkway pieces and have them on they're own map. For the textures for the other pieces I will just throw them in where ever they'll fit on the maps for the other objects.

I saw this mouse at the store the other day and I thought it would be awesome to model with.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Naga-MMO-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00E8CF268/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422917904&sr=8-1&keywords=razer+naga

12 buttons at your thumb tip with shortcuts to various tools in 3ds max would be awesome!

February 19, 2015, 02:35:17 PM #188 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:08:40 PM by -RepubliqueCmdr-
Okay, not as impressive as above, but I'm totally psyched that I can even do this (I've always been scared of failing with modelling charactors).

I've done the skin of model by hand using google image references.

-Only a tad over 2k polys

People have been wondering where I've been or why I haven't been working on the Outpost map and I'm going to say this guy has been the culprit...

Highres

Final Render | 1,558 polys

Getting to use Mudbox more and more but this was really interesting trying to pull off. Further more I'm not that good at using Marmoset Toolbag for rendering the thing (so much red!). It works I guess though.

That chair looks really awesome, nice work  :cheers:

Accidentally discovered bloom scripts in Unity, made my models pop :P
Everything in the scene was made by me just to be clear. No shipping of assets.

Here are some screenshots of an unfinished sci-fi scene I did earlier this year. The second to last image are the cushions rendered with a tiling fabric normal map I made.

The last image is a render of a low poly handle with a test bake of the normal map; it's a handle to a gun I made for my game/portfolio environment.

Where is that image of a stick figure puking rainbows next to a glowing screen when I need it..

Some really good highres detail there. I'd be really curious to see how that turns out with the final game/render version!

Speaking of unfinished highres meshes I really need to finish the old Air-Bike.  :XD: