Side Modding Clarification

Started by Ascertes, April 25, 2017, 05:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay, so today I was working on a custom unit and I imported a stock rebel soldier to my custom and only changed the .msh and .tgas the unit uses. I completely forgot to change around the weapons, and ofc I didn't import the .tga's, ODF's, or .msh's for the associated stock weapons. I cleaned, munged, and boom. My unit was in the game with the stock weapons, but I didn't add any weapons to my side folder.

This surprised me, because I was under the impression you need to import EVERYTHING the ODF file calls for. So I'm curious: If an ODF calls on a stock .msh, .odf or .tga, do you not need to import those? Because I feel like I've been doing side modding wrong all along  :blink:
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

If you are using the side builders, and you only change the .msh and .tga, you are ok.  As long as you didn't delete anything from the builder, everything that was stock is still being loaded in the game.

Theoretically, if you just munge the side builder, it would be exactly the same as the original sides ingame.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

April 27, 2017, 12:12:19 PM #2 Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:24:51 PM by Ascertes
Quote from: Dark_Phantom on April 26, 2017, 09:49:13 AM
If you are using the side builders, and you only change the .msh and .tga, you are ok.  As long as you didn't delete anything from the builder, everything that was stock is still being loaded in the game.

Theoretically, if you just munge the side builder, it would be exactly the same as the original sides ingame.

Alright, don't need to import stock files if I don't change them. Got it! Thanks :)

EDIT: What about cross-era stock files? As an example, if I wanted to arm a clone trooper with, say, the rebel rifle instead of the stock one?
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.