Best way to host LAN server with three players?

Started by Antstafer, August 02, 2017, 08:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm a little out of practice with server configuration with these games, so I'm not sure what the most obvious approach to go about doing this is.

Two of my buddies and I are going to be getting together for a BF2 LAN party sometime soon, and I'm not sure if I should just run it through the dedicated server software (in LAN mode of course), or just use BF2's vanilla LAN capabilities, without the server software and swbfspy.

And as I understand it, you do NOT need to port forward for a LAN server, correct? Any recommendations and points I may be missing would be greatly appreciated!

I would use the dedi software in LAN mode if you have an extra computer, but a players computer would work just fine too.  You don't need to port forward in LAN mode, but if you have problems check the firewall settings and players and host computers  :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on August 02, 2017, 08:25:52 PM
I would use the dedi software in LAN mode if you have an extra computer, but a players computer would work just fine too.  You don't need to port forward in LAN mode, but if you have problems check the firewall settings and players and host computers  :cheers:

Thanks for the help, Led. Luckily I got a spare 'craptop' that can run BF2. Any particular reason why the dedicated server software's LAN is more favorable than the vanilla LAN host?