CD Dead

Started by zap, November 17, 2013, 11:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I started to play SWBF recently. My CD was fine, but a couple days after it started to crash, i got it to work finally, but than it started crashing again. I installed and uninstalled it a couple times. Now, it decided to stop working, it won't even install.... Now my CD is dead, I have to get a new one... *Facepalm* >:(

Gosh what rotten luck.

Have you tried cleaning your CD?
There are ways to get it working without the CD, unfortunately they need the game installed first...

I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't... Maybe I'm wrong after all, and yes I do clean it, doesn't solve the problem. It's scratched up, so yeah.

November 17, 2013, 12:19:44 PM #4 Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:22:48 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: zap on November 17, 2013, 12:07:22 PM
It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't... Maybe I'm wrong after all, and yes I do clean it, doesn't solve the problem. It's scratched up, so yeah.

ZipZap43! Long time no see man! I haven't see you in ages! Remember me, good ol' GM 027? We used to hang out tons with Penguin back in the day! :)

Anyways, if it's scratched up, there's places you can go to to get the scratches repaired. I went to an Entertainment Overload store about 30 mins from my place and they fixed it up for me. It's not a whole lot for repair actually, only like 5-10 bucks.

If you are going to get a new one anyway though, then that's even better! I hope you will be back for the SWBF Days event at the end of the month! Perhaps we could play with/against each other on Tunngle (or with Direct Connection servers if SK fixes up the OpenSpy software in time). :D

If the disc is really scratched badly, some 2nd hand gaming shops offer a disc resurfacing service.

Though it might actually be cheaper to get a new disc entirely.

Also, don't rule out cleaning your drive. I am a heavy smoker, so using a drive cleaning kit it critical to my PC's existance. (Though my current dvd drive has other issues like being one of those stupid cheapo slim matsushita drives...)

IIRC The CD is only used for the cd check on launch. It's an anti-piracy protection.

If the game is outright crashing, chances are it's your computer.

#TYBG

If you have xfire, you should be able to run it without the disc.

x-fire circumvents the security of the SWBF disc?

I find that unlikely.

Quote from: tirpider on November 18, 2013, 11:47:12 PM
x-fire circumvents the security of the SWBF disc?

I find that unlikely.

I don't know how their system does it, but once a game is installed, you can run it without the disc. I personally back up my game as .iso files that way I don't have to constantly swap them in and out of the tray, but I don't like having poweriso running all of the time, so I keep it off. Sometimes I'm just lazy and don't want to turn it on, so I just start the game through xfire.

xfire does not strip the anti-piracy check.

Granted there are ways of running swbf without the disc, xfire is not one of them.

#TYBG