Star Wars Game Maker???

Started by Moroff, September 04, 2017, 09:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
How can I make my own games about star wars? I'm thinking of making a good graphics sort of thing. ;)
WIP: Undead troopers side mod.

Interested in modding? Check out the HALLOWEEN COMPETITION 2017! - http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=12410.msg116816;topicseen#new

Quote from: Moroff on September 04, 2017, 09:08:56 AM
How can I make my own games about star wars? I'm thinking of making a good graphics sort of thing. ;)

If it's any good, disney will come after you.  Having said that, there are several open source game development engines available, and anything you learn will help you later in life.

here is one
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

and here is a list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Moroff on September 04, 2017, 09:08:56 AM

I doubt that you will be allowed, but it's worth a shot to ask Disney for permission...
Generic Sig goes here

How? And what do I use to make the game?

Interested in modding? Check out the HALLOWEEN COMPETITION 2017! - http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=12410.msg116816;topicseen#new

Quote from: Shaking_Sniper on September 04, 2017, 09:32:24 AM
I doubt that you will be allowed, but it's worth a shot to ask Disney for permission...

Actually, it's not worth asking.  Talk to the Galaxy in Turmoil group. 

Moroff, see my post for game engines.  You have to read, learn, read more, and then read some more.

To make a game I really suggest using Unity 3D. If you wanna make a star wars one, try to keep it quiet, and if you don't make money off it, Disney might overlook it...
Generic Sig goes here

Quote from: Shaking_Sniper on September 04, 2017, 09:32:24 AM

Don't, he would find you before dawn.
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Actually, it's EA that is likely to shut it down. According to the Galaxy In Turmoil team, Disney were open to negotiating but EA ordered a cease and desist.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

What i will do is if you know how to make video games begin working on the game you want.Probably it will take you 2-3 years to finish it.At that time EA/Disney will finish most of their star wars games and after they make pile of money they simply will stop care for fan made star wars games.Atleast thats my opinion  :shrug:

Quote from: Gistech on September 05, 2017, 11:09:56 PM
Actually, it's EA that is likely to shut it down. According to the Galaxy In Turmoil team, Disney were open to negotiating but EA ordered a cease and desist.
Really ? Oh well, I really didn't expect that.

Quote from: Ginev on September 05, 2017, 11:29:37 PM
What i will do is if you know how to make video games begin working on the game you want.Probably it will take you 2-3 years to finish it.At that time EA/Disney will finish most of their star wars games and after they make pile of money they simply will stop care for fan made star wars games.Atleast thats my opinion  :shrug:
Tru dat.
My advice is, take a relatively ancient engine still updated by a community to this day, and make a Star Wars mod for it, such as Call Of Duty Galactic Warfare.
I'm even sure there's an enormous Dead Space mod for Killing Floor 1, and EA never said anything about it.
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

Quote from: Incognito on September 06, 2017, 02:12:25 AM
Really ? Oh well, I really didn't expect that.
Tru dat.
My advice is, take a relatively ancient engine still updated by a community to this day, and make a Star Wars mod for it, such as Call Of Duty Galactic Warfare.
I'm even sure there's an enormous Dead Space mod for Killing Floor 1, and EA never said anything about it.

I know of at least three very serious attempts from a team of players/coders/modders that went far but ultimately fell flat.  I know of a least a dozen other people that have had this same idea, yet no ability to make it happen.

I think that if you want a drink of water, don't try to drink the entire ocean.  It will accomplish nothing and it may make you sick.

Learn how to mod this game first.  You can spend years on it.  Take that experience and then try a new game engine.  But whatever you do, have fun with it  ;)

But if EA don't let you make star wars games, can Lucas Arts still make games? they have more of a right to make these games.

Quote from: Moroff on September 06, 2017, 09:38:32 AM
But if EA don't let you make star wars games, can Lucas Arts still make games? they have more of a right to make these games.

EA is the publisher.  DICE made the recent games (developer).  Lucas Arts, owned by Disney, controls the rights to the gaming part of the franchise.  Lucas Arts has granted EA exclusive rights to publish and chose developers for Star Wars games for something like the next 10 years.

It is a complicated, but not unusual business arrangement.

It sounds like you are an eager, but young person trying to make a game.  Just do all you can do, and don't worry about the rest.

Actually, LucasArts does not exist at all any more. All publishing/licensing rights reverted fully to LucasFilm when they shut down LucasArts in the wake of the Disney purchase.

There do appear to be some caveats in the LucasFilm-EA contract - EA aren't the only ones who can make mobile games, and given Lego TFA still happened, I'd wager that the contract had a stiuplation that prevents EA from interfering should a studio currently still in agreement to LucasFilm, such as Traveller's Tales, wish to publish a Star Wars game.

My own idea is to one day adapt the story of Elite Squadron as a campaign-only title using the Tomb Raider engne. It's perfectly doable and the final restrictions might be about to be lifted on that front as far as game programming and asset building are concerned (as the Tomb Raider engine was once very restrictive as were the tools)
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base