My New PC :D

Started by {TCE}Call-of-Duty, May 14, 2014, 05:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 14, 2014, 05:25:50 PM Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:44:24 PM by {TCE}Call-of-Duty
GM's situation inspired me to build my own PC instead of buying a laptop. For a budget , that's currently up in the air with my Dad but it should be around $500. (That's how much the laptop I wanted before costed). Right now I'm up to $420 and I have most of my things (I think?) here is my list so far [spoiler]Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX by Kingston http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037TO5C0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_WTbDtb07NJ9BG Rosewill Ultra High Gloss Finished MicroATX Computer Case with 400W ATX 2.2 12V Power Supply, Black R363-M-BK by Rosewill http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ASW73G/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_wIaDtb1KRW9HW Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive - Bulk - IHAS124-04 (Black) by Lite-On http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YIG9AQ/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_OIaDtb02G2ZX1 EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1302-LR by EVGA http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049MPQA4/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_aJaDtb0HXW5ES Windows 8.1 System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit by Microsoft Software http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3ZN2W0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_zJaDtb1MXY633 WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX by Western Digital http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_ZJaDtb0ZM1T65 Genuine Dell FF3FN Studio XPS 7100 Small Mini Tower Small Mini Towe... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S168P4/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_tKaDtb15BYAQQ[/spoiler] I have till my birthday to get everything together which is in a month. (Goin be a awesome birthday) any help?

Edit: Found better RAM sticks that were cheaper
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

That sounds like quite the build you got going, especially with that GPU, GeForce cards are very good for a gaming rig.

I wish I had a $500 budget, it would give me so much freedom with my old tower...

May 15, 2014, 09:55:40 AM #2 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:23:21 AM by Carbon27
This makes 3 of us.

Even before my old crappy 2005 PC died, I have been saving for a new PC. My budget is a tad bigger, 800$-1K$, maybe 600$ if I find a sale. This is just the PC, nothing else. Hoping to get a triple screen setup, but I have no idea if my budget would allow for that.

You should give a little more detail. What will you be using this for? Just gaming? Music, movies, games, school, and/or web searches? Are you looking for a desktop or a laptop? I suggest a desktop. If portability is a must but you won't need to move it often, you could get a very small case. If this is for gaming, I suggest bumping the budget a little higher if you want to play newer games, ESPECIALLY if you are buying a laptop. I suggest steering clear of laptops. Are you looking for a PC that is easy to upgrade? Then you will need a good motherboard. Also I have heard that you should buy a power supply that doesn't come with the case. Please, give us more info.

Sorry for all the edits, getting used to a new pc and keyboard.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Carbon27 on May 15, 2014, 09:55:40 AM
This makes 3 of us.

Even before my old crappy 2005 PC died, I have been saving for a new PC. My budget is a tad bigger, 800$-1K$, maybe 600$ if I find a sale. This is just the PC, nothing else. Hoping to get a triple screen setup, but I have no idea if my budget would allow for that.

You should give a little more detail. What will you be using this for? Just gaming? Music, movies, games, school, and/or web searches? Are you looking for a desktop or a laptop? I suggest a desktop. If portability is a must but you won't need to move it often, you could get a very small case. If this is for gaming, I suggest bumping the budget a little higher if you want to play newer games, ESPECIALLY if you are buying a laptop. I suggest steering clear of laptops. Are you looking for a PC that is easy to upgrade? Then you will need a good motherboard. Also I have heard that you should buy a power supply that doesn't come with the case. Please, give us more info.

Sorry for all the edits, getting used to a new pc and keyboard.
Just a normal PC for myself and put a few games on like BF and RC, I like the 1TB hard drive cause it's cheap and big. The graphics card is just to run basic things like Windows 8 and whatnot. Sorry about not putting this in my first post. :slap: but you know me :D

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on May 15, 2014, 12:14:52 PM
Just a normal PC for myself and put a few games on like BF and RC, I like the 1TB hard drive cause it's cheap and big. The graphics card is just to run basic things like Windows 8 and whatnot. Sorry about not putting this in my first post. :slap: but you know me :D

"Games like", you mean age? If you are going to play games that old 500$ is way too much. They ran perfect on my old PC. My mom got an average refurbished PC recently, ran NFS Pro street MAXED at 25 FPS. A 500$ PC might be too much. Unless there is a more demanding game that you are thinking of playing, save some of that money.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Carbon27 on May 15, 2014, 01:53:17 PM
"Games like", you mean age? If you are going to play games that old 500$ is way too much. They ran perfect on my old PC. My mom got an average refurbished PC recently, ran NFS Pro street MAXED at 25 FPS. A 500$ PC might be too much. Unless there is a more demanding game that you are thinking of playing, save some of that money.
There really isn't a specific game just those I already have like BF or RC like I said. At the most I'll be playing TFU:US and MAYBE BO2 (If I'm in a good mood)

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on May 15, 2014, 03:46:44 PM
There really isn't a specific game just those I already have like BF or RC like I said. At the most I'll be playing TFU:US and MAYBE BO2 (If I'm in a good mood)
No Bioshock?!

May 15, 2014, 04:54:02 PM #8 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:51:35 PM by {TCE}Call-of-Duty
Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on May 15, 2014, 04:19:39 PM
No Bioshock?!
No STINGSTER, that's what a Xbox is for

EDIT: Forget that motherboard in my first post, it is a ATX, my tower is a Micro ATX here is one I found thats pretty much the same (Probably better) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009O7YZAG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

May 15, 2014, 10:11:43 PM #9 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:13:24 PM by aeria.
I believe I can be of assistance here.

A $500 budget isn't optimal however it's still very possible to work with.

Your current part list, to be perfectly honest, isn't good. The motherboard is a replacement from a Dell desktop, which is NOT what you want to purchase. The video card you chose is 8 years old. No reason to purchase it. You're also missing a CPU.

Here's a $500 dollar build that will have good gaming performance. This PC should be ~an Xbox One in terms of gaming performance. Perhaps it's a bit under an XB1 as the CPU isn't the greatest but for $500 this is very strong.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($92.25 @ Amazon)
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-S1 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($54.42 @ Amazon)
Memory:  Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($71.84 @ Amazon)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.26 @ Amazon)
Video Card:  Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card  ($130.63 @ Amazon)
Case:  Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply:  EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.66 @ Amazon)
Total: $505.59
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-16 00:53 EDT-0400)

That part list was built assuming you'll only purchase parts on Amazon. The final price tag includes New York sales tax (8.875%) I suggest purchasing parts from Newegg as they are tax free unless you live in Cali or Jersey. NCIX US is also a great tax-free retailer (unless you live in Cali) and they have free shipping on orders >$100.

Pointers:
1) Reuse your old copy of Windows. It's also easy to acquire a free copy of Windows if you no longer have it. I'm a comp sci major in college so let me know if you're having problems getting a copy.
2) DVD drives are plain outdated, most people are doing builds without the DVD drive now. I haven't used mine for as long as I've built my PC. If you're in a situation where you need to use it, yours existing laptop is usable.
3) The Radeon 260X is a great video card for the money. My friend has it and he's been playing Counter Strike: GO at max settings with no issues. He's also been playing Arma 3.
4) PSUs that come pre-installed in cases are usually not good. The PSU is NOT something you want to skimp out on. A bad PSU can potentially destroy other components. I've seen this more than enough times with people trying to save money by getting a poor one, only to see their money wasted as the computer catches fire (not kidding here). This 500W PSU has a lot of breathing room for improvements and is from a reliable company.
5) The CPU I gave you isn't a strong quad core CPU but it should be solid enough for your needs without going over your $500 budget.

Feel free to voice your opinion on this build and I can make changes to accommodate to your needs.

#TYBG

Like I've said before, I'm not in the market for a hardcore gaming computer just a normal average-consumer PC... With a TB of a hard drive. My old laptop is in horrible condition so I can't get the Windows 7 from it. That why I had the Windows 8. So these are my requests are pretty much a above average computer with a TB Hard Drive and a decent graphics card and Windows 8. If you can find anything like that that's better than what I already have and in the budget.

Sorry I missed out on you saying you just wanted an average PC. I'll remake the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard:  MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($55.38 @ Newegg)
Memory:  G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Case:  Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($41.52 @ Amazon)
Power Supply:  Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive:  LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $491.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-16 16:23 EDT-0400)

There's an SSD for OS performance and the 1 TB hard drive for the storage capacity. The CPU is more than enough for average-computer needs and it has integrated graphics that relies on fast memory so 2133 MHz RAM was added. The extra money went towards a DVD drive and a copy of Windows 8.1.

#TYBG

Okay I got the stuff in my Amazon cart, I found the RAM sticks there to. Thanks for helping me out on this :clap: