No D/L Mod Discussion

Started by SleepKiller, November 19, 2011, 09:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Let us sit and talk.

About what we can and can not do. With no D/L mods.
We can.
Change weapon damages and unit health, etc
Change which units spawn. I.e make all snipers.
We can not.
Add new units.
Change the map.

We can also make locals playable on maps that already have locals by doing something like this.

AddUnitClass(CIS, "cis_inf_battledroid_inf",11)
    AddUnitClass(CIS, "cis_inf_battledroid_av",3)
    AddUnitClass(CIS, "cis_inf_battledroid_pilot",3)
    AddUnitClass(CIS, "cis_inf_battledroid_sniper",3)
    AddUnitClass(CIS, "cis_inf_droideka",2)

To
    AddUnitClass(CIS, "some_inf_unit_here",11)
    AddUnitClass(CIS, "some_inf_unit_here",3)
    AddUnitClass(CIS, "some_inf_unit_here",2)

What else can we do???

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 19, 2011, 09:54:11 PM
We can not.
Add new units.
Change the map.

Change the map is a broad phrase and there are ways to change the map with no D/L server mods I have moved and added several meshes to stock cloud city and it worked online clients will have bouncy bug collision and cannot see the object or it's textures but it is there to see for anyone using that LVL mod.

Spawn nodes: You can move them around, I have not tested adding or deleting them. That is part of changing the map. You can also move regions and add new ones. There are also many ways you cannot change the map such as you cannot add vehicles to the map if they don't normally spawn there without breaking online compatibility. I have tested common, side, mission, and world lvl methods but have none worked.

There is a lot more that can be done I think its a good idea to make a list of what can and cannot be done without downloads. ODF (then LUA) is probably the largest subcategory to work with for server sided no D/L mods.

Mm, we need to centralize this info.

Now this is just a theory but I think new weapons could be made on the server side but clients would see the old weapon. Because I've connected to a {PLA} server accedently with a completely new weapon for one unit. No crashes what so ever I played the whole match. The server was just overriding my weapon with what should be their to its eyes.

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 20, 2011, 01:50:35 AM

Now this is just a theory but I think new weapons could be made on the server side but clients would see the old weapon. Because I've connected to a {PLA} server accedently with a completely new weapon for one unit. No crashes what so ever I played the whole match. The server was just overriding my weapon with what should be their to its eyes.
what kind of weapon mods was it? i know a mesh switch out doesn't ever crash unless it has bugged collision (bad model). For weapon ODFs, EXPs, ORDs, it really depends on each individual setting. You can add custom exps to each weapon usually, or settings for like how the emp pilot launcher is // nulled out push. These are online compatible but the server setting overrides it so to clients it appears to push enemies but doesn't and looks very glitchy.

Fully new weapon seperate odf, ord and exp. 

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 20, 2011, 01:50:35 AM

Yes, you can do that kind of thing.  The other player sees the stock weapon.  I think the server dishes out the standard weapon damage.

You can make yourself pint size, like bamdur did.  But you get damage if someone shoots above your pint sized head.

You can make ammo bots also dispense health, but your health goes up for a half second, then back to normal when the server catches back up to you.

In cases where the server has the mod and *some* players have the mod, the players with the mod will get he extra goodies.  The players that don't have it will crash when a certain condition is triggered.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet