Editing spawn points for native factions

Started by krahmin, April 11, 2022, 06:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all,

I'm new to modding but have so far managed to pick up a decent amount. I have LVL Builders toolbox and BFBuilder installed, and I've been playing around with various mission and sides lvl files.

Basically my problem is this: I'm trying to play as jedi with all the other classes intact. I don't want to replace the hero class with a jet trooper for instance, because then I have 1 and I want more. I've thought I could just set 3-4 jet troopers as native forces but replicating a script like Endor results in nothing spawning. I'm 99% sure my issue has to do with not actually adjusting a proper spawn point. I'm not sure how to do this however. Any tips or advice is welcome. Thanks :)

April 11, 2022, 07:25:08 PM #1 Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 07:27:16 PM by Led
You can have multiple local team and ally them to a particular side.  You will need to set cps to the new factions either through hex edit or by munging the maps.   :cheers:

I will edit this post if I can find the example.  update:  refer to this post
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4672.msg45152#msg45152

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

April 11, 2022, 08:20:21 PM #2 Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:18:39 AM by krahmin
Thank you for such a quick response!

That lua line cheat sheet helps a lot.

As for command post assignment, I'm not sure whether munging or hex editing is easier, as I don't know the tags to search in the hex editor, nor do I know where the command post odf files are to munge in BFBuilder. I keep finding prop data and stuff that I assume is related to visual construction of the posts themselves. I'll try to keep the search up. :)

-edit

Managed to hex edit CPs to third party factions, but couldn't figure out how to make them share CPs with playable sides. Might not be possible from what I gather. Ah well.

Yeah, I don't think the CPs can be shareable. 

There is some possibility for a 6 unit mod, but that may be much more complicated.

Allied teams (team 3/4, etc) can spawn from allied CPs if:
1.) You use the "SetTeamAsFriend()" command in the lua script
2.) In ZeroEditor, you create a new spawn path, and then in the CP instance in ZE, you put that path under "AllyPath"

I do not believe teams 1-2 can spawn from CPs owned by teams 3-4.  Actually if you set them as Ally, they will capture CPs as their ally team.

Kashyyyk Docks and Naboo Plains should have ally paths set up in this manner. You'll notice on Plains that no Gungans should spawn unless Rebels capture at least the center, and I think there's another CP.

I know you're new, and this is a lot. If you have BFBuilder set up, and want to view the stock maps, I fully recommend this BFBuilder update I made.  It allows you to import the stock maps as Data folders and view/edit them. (However, you may have to manually load in the map because loading ZE from the batch file doesn't load all the layers correctly). http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1519
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

April 12, 2022, 10:24:01 AM #5 Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 06:31:02 PM by krahmin
Wow that BFBuilder mod is a lifesaver. I tried for ages to get stock maps working with the basic tools and couldn't manage. Even when I tried to replicate the format of a new mod. So thanks for that.

So far the munging is going fine, but I'm trying my best to avoid any ZE work as it would be another learning curve, and I've convinced myself that I should be able to manage just editing the scripts. Could be wrong though ;)

So far I've been toying around with the .wld files and noticed this:

ChildRotation(1.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000);
ChildPosition(168.000, 52.000, -253.777);
SeqNo(-1751955066);
Team(2);
NetworkId(-1);
Label("CP12");
CaptureRegion("CP12Capture");
ControlRegion("");
SpawnPath("CP12SpawnPath");
AllyPath("CP12SpawnPath");
AllyCount("65536");
Radius("0.0");

This is an example of Kamino Cloning Facility. I set the ally path identical to the clones spawn path hoping that my 3rd side jet troopers would spawn in, but no luck. Maybe there's something I'm missing? I made sure the mission.lvl was munged properly. If it comes down to learning ZE, I'll suck it up.

Thanks again to both of you guys. I didn't expect anyone on the internet to come to my rescue so quick.

-edit

Interesting note, I changed the team to 3 and was able to spawn into a yellow post as the default clones, only to see my native troopers spawn in and be massacred :D At least I'm fiddling with things in the right ballpark it seems.

-edit2

Looks like it was my mission.lvl file after all. I got them all spawning , but now they just keep fighting my team despite them being allies.

-edit3

I did it!!!!! wooooooooooo thank you!!!!!

Another possibility is to add a hidden CP under the terrain (or transparent) and spawn from there.

Check your attacker/defender settings.  Also if you want to post your mission LUA in code tags, we can take a look.

Ultimately mission editing is easy and fun but you will want to learn the other tools as well for the maximum creativity.

This is an old game now, but it still has more modding potential than any games made recently, as far as I can tell.   :cheers:

Yeah I was going in the route of just using ZE to make new invisible ones, but I was able to sort out the mission.lua thankfully. I wasn't understanding that I needed to adjust the interaction between factions both ways; one for my playable side and one for the 3rd faction. I dug up a Kashyyyk file for reference and just copied the wookie-rebel/rep interaction.

You're right in that this game is tons of fun to mod, even without knowing much yet. I grew up playing it, and even today it strikes that perfect balance of being old enough to break apart into tiny details, but not so old that it looks/plays poorly. Great game. I appreciate all of these tools that are out there to help make this easier for coding newbies like myself.

There is potentially one more thing that I'm puzzled with, but it's not super important. I'm just wondering if it's possible to de-aggro yourself from an enemy jedi without inflating your health to 10,000. I noticed that seems to be the trigger, but I can't find any other way to get an enemy jedi to stop spending games swinging into my body the whole time :D