Do you watch "Star Wars The Clone Wars"?

Started by Kit Fisto, April 14, 2012, 08:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you watch "Star Wars The Clone Wars"?

YES, AND I'M PROUD
5 (27.8%)
NO, STUPIDEST THING EVER!
3 (16.7%)
I watch some.
10 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Something I've been thinking about.

Star Wars (in the movie sense) is the story of Anakin.

All the things about "Star Wars The Clone Wars" that are un-likable, they actually did a better Job with Anakin's character.

All through ep 2 and 3, he spends his time fussing about like a princess that lost her slippers.

In the TCW series, he actually has a spine.
He makes decisions.
He even acts like a rogue general, at times.

In the movies he doesn't turn into a believable(interesting) person until he gets the mask and leather.

Incoming rant.

Oh certainly the TV series far surpass the Prequels ability to tell an actual story, only due to the prequels being so inept at it.

Anakin didn't "earn" the like-abilty that all protagonists are meant to...
(for instance we sympathise with Luke because he's downtrodden, he has ambitions and he has a character-arc that we get involved with due to the stakes at hand).
Anakin is sort of thrust on us, he's some kind of whinny child in PM that we don't meet until half way through the film, even then he has very little to do with the rest of the film.

So when he appears in Attack of the Clones we still don't care about him, and to make things worse, he's even more whinny and angsty. Also he goes on a killing spree.
And finally with ROTS we still don't care about him; and so far even boringly-neutral-Kenobi is more interesting and appealing (the only reason for his appeal is the fact he is the most "human" (and thus relatable) character of the whole prequels).
So when Anakin turns to the dark-side we still don't care.

His character in TCW is literally a completely different character. He's not a socially inept, and he comes across as an A-typical hero template.
And this time round we sort of care about him.. maybe? I still find Kenobi more interesting, but unfortunately his characters' role seems to be limited to being beaten up a lot.

EURGH
It's all rubbish, but I still watch it with a bizarre fascination.

tltr
It's daft.

Oh Ho! looks like we got us some prequel haters!! ;)

Well...

Ep 4 5 and 6 went all the way through the hero's journey.
It invoked primal archetypes.
It revolutionized the special effects industry.

Ep 1 2 and 3 walked around through politcs and not-inovative-at-all CG.

I don't nessicarily hate the prequels.
There just isn't much to like about them.

What I do hate that they are forever attached to Star Wars.

They are the embarassing uncle, you hope doesn't show up for Thanksgiving dinner.

May 11, 2012, 09:15:41 PM #19 Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:27:50 PM by Joseph
Hayden Christensen is, as you might say, a rubbish actor. That, along with rubbish writing, why the anakin as portrayed in the movies is so unlikeable. So I can see how from a comic-book aesthetic one would like the TCW anakin better.

IMDB: "His biggest break was a starring role on the Fox Family network's "Higher Ground" (2000). On the series Hayden shows off his acting talent as a teen who was sexually molested by his step-mom" yeah sounds about right