Star Wars Battlefront United

Started by Glitch, February 02, 2013, 08:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Phobos on February 02, 2013, 07:17:44 PM
@Mods/Admins
I'm also wondering if we can discuss voiceover briefings and post links to WAVs for them here. I know its not allowed for the stock game music and sound effects because these are taken directly from the movie (with some altered as Fred mentioned). However, the voiceovers are not taken from the movies at all, pandemic had voice actors come to their studio to record the voiceover briefings. Since this is the case it seems like it shouldn't be EULA infringing to release voiceover briefing WAVs from BF1 and BF2 on this forum or modified LVLs containing them. Anyone know for certain about this?

If it is allowed then I will explain my ideas for porting the BF2 campaigns to BF1 and vice versa in greater detail.

I think discussion of sounds of any type is fine, including how players might be able to use their own SWBF2 sounds in SWBF.  The distribution of StarWars sounds should be done elsewhere though.  Of course, I am not a lawyer and if there ever is a problem then that approach may need to change.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Glitch on February 02, 2013, 07:48:12 PM
I can list the exclusive BF2 maps. Would you like to lead the BF2 -> BF1 project? We could work on both, but BF1 -> BF2 is my highest priority because we started this already.
Thanks and I will try my best but another co-leader or 2 would help since I have a lot of work going simultaneously with other mod projects which can slow down progress. SleepKiller would be another good person to help with these projects but I'm not sure if he has the time or interest you will have to ask him (or maybe he will reply here).

I'm coordinating the BF1 -> BF2 project, not sure if I can help with both. (I'll do what I can) We have time to complete the projects, no deadline is set. See if you can find a few others to help you out, PM SleepKiller if he does not reply here. Check the edit of my last post, added the map list.
Quote: At times of chaos, humans are subjected to emotion rather than logic.

This is quite exciting! Something I have wanted to see in SWBFI for a while.
For the SWBFI part you guys really need to look at all of SK's assests. He ported the CW sides to SWBFI, and half the maps. And as I understand the GCW sides were almost done.

@Phobos: I don't think the SWBFII shotgun had purple blasts with a sniper trail. Was that the elite shotgun? Or whatever its called? Award Shotgun?

February 02, 2013, 08:20:53 PM #19 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:23:02 PM by Glitch
Quote from: Kit Fisto on February 02, 2013, 08:17:55 PM

@Phobos: I don't think the SWBFII shotgun had purple blasts with a sniper trail. Was that the elite shotgun? Or whatever its called? Award Shotgun?

:XD: Yep, your right Kit Fisto, the award shotgun used purple lasers while the standard one used green. (Can this game support award weapons?) I highly suggest someone who works on the BF2 -> BF1 project purchases BF2 so you know exactly what to do with both the sides and the maps. (Correct me if I'm wrong) It seems like you know very little about the game.

SWBFI does NOT support award weapons.
Yes I think it is correct for someone who knows SWBFII to work on the conversion.
I know a bit about stock SWBFII. Not the mods, modding or anything like that. But I know almost everything about the stock gameplay ( what hero's on what maps, what award weapons do, all the maps layout etc. ) So if you guys want to run stuff by me that would be cool!
I would LOVE to participate in this project in any way. I can not mod but I can test, advertise, be a stock SWBFII refererancer or anything you need me to do!
Phobos? Could I officially be a part of this project? As a tester or whatever you need me to do? We should make a team sort of!!

February 02, 2013, 08:51:32 PM #21 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:01:31 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Kit Fisto on February 02, 2013, 08:30:12 PM
Phobos? Could I officially be a part of this project? As a tester or whatever you need me to do? We should make a team sort of!!
Yes you can help out with as much as you want.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on February 02, 2013, 08:17:55 PM
The flechette shotgun from BF2 from what I remember the shots were barely visible at all and didn't know the color. I just brought out the aesthetics more, made the shots purple and easier to see but the spread pattern, salvo, shot delay etc. is exactly the same.

Quote from: Glitch on February 02, 2013, 08:20:53 PM
I highly suggest someone who works on the BF2 -> BF1 project purchases BF2 so you know exactly what to do with both the sides and the maps.

I'll probably get SWBF2 at some point but for now my main focus is on integrating the BF2 exclusive maps into bf1. If someone wants to coordinate side development that would be great as I will be mostly occupied with scripting, sound, and overall structuring of the LVLs.

Coruscant: Jedi Temple
Dagobah: Swamp
Felucia: Marshland
Geonosis: Dust Plains (CW Only)
Kamino: Clone Facility
Kashyyyk: Beachhead
Mustafar: Refinery
Mygeeto: War-Torn City
Naboo: Theed (Night, randomization between night and day)
Polis Massa: Medical Facility
Tantive IV: Interior
Utapau: Sinkhole

Thanks for the list, I think most if not all of these have been converted, although I remember Beachhead has some problems with black terrain. SleepKillers Dagobah is the most stable so next we should assemble a list of all the ports for these maps, who made them, and then figure out which ones are the most stable. Maybe re-port a few if need be.

Also the maps which are single era only will have support added for both eras. Vehicles are up for consideration but I think it would be more fun if Kamino had GCW support, CW for hoth, etc. I can add this support to stock files.

There are also maps that were supposed to be in BF1 but were not developed and/or removed before release. Some of those maps are in the list you posted from BF2. Some aren't, the ones that aren't I would like to include also if possible.

Ok! Prepare for a long history on the story of all SWBFII maps ported to SWBFI.
Land maps only :P

Coruscant: most stable port is by SK, with no issues anywhere on the map. 2 other ports were attempted but had bad collision or wrong CP placement.

Dagobah: Sereja's is actually more stable. SK's has a water issue (on some computers) along with the gunship and xwing not changable for each era. Also if you jump over the wall you can walk forever. So use Sereja's Dagobah, no none issues, it actually improves the visual look of Dagobah over stock SWBFII Dagobah! He was kind enough to make a stock sides version.

Death Star: SK's is the best. There a couple AI issues but it has no impact on gameplay. In fact the gameplay is great! Wonderful port. ( Sereja is coming out with another conversion soon I think )

Felucia: Sereja's port. Amazing. There is also no other public port of that map. JK's has no plants and it looks quite plain. So use Sereja's. BUT if you are concerned with The SWBFI port to have the SAME CP placement as the SWBFII version Sereja's falls short of that.

Geonosis: SLeepKiller. The one and only person to port this map. Does't look like you have a choice. But that's not bad because that port is AMAZING!!!

Kamino: Sk's and Sereja's are the stable ones. It is definitely a toss up. I would say SK's ONLY because it runs better on slower computers. But They are equally good. Oh and I think Sereja's Kamino adds an extra CP that isn't their in stock SWBFII kamino.

Kashyyyk: The only one available is ggtuck's. It is pretty good, it has boundry issues and the sea wall wench thing can be destroyed but nothing happens. But it is completely playable.

Mustafar: The scum_strike port is perfect. Just add CP names and you are good to go! Unless you wanted to get the collapsable bridges then you would have to do a re-port.

Mygeeto: Again scum_strikes is the most stable BUT it has no turrents or tanks, which is a major part of that map in SWBFII. So if you were to do a re-port this would be the map to do. So that you could add tanks and turrents.

Naboo: If you want you can convert this. I really don't see a reason to because there is very little difference between SWBFI's and SWBFII's. But Sereja made (as always) an excellent port with no issues. Same as his other ports, it adds an extra CP. (just to make it clear the extra CP's Sereja adds to his maps makes them better than they are in SWBFII. I love his ports and I am in no way trying to make them sound bad.)

Polis Massa: BattleBelk did a port with just 1 issue that pretty much ruins the map. Most of the AI get stuck in one spot and refuse to move. Sereja's is great with no issues so use that one. Same as before it has different CP layout

Tantive IV: SK and Sereja made one. Both are equal in awesomeness. But I say use SK's because the CP placement is the same as in SWBFII and runs better on slower computers. Sereja's has different CP layout as stock SWBFII

Utapau: ported first by scum_srike and then by SK. SK's is the way to go. No pathing issues, perfect collision. Great port.

Refer to this topic to download all SWBFII ports: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4591.0
NOTE: Sereja's Felucia and Hoth aren't on the list yet. It needs to be updated.

February 02, 2013, 10:15:58 PM #23 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:21:04 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Kit Fisto on February 02, 2013, 09:17:47 PM
Dagobah: Sereja's is actually more stable. SK's has a water issue (on some computers) along with the gunship and xwing not changable for each era. Also if you jump over the wall you can walk forever. So use Sereja's Dagobah, no none issues, it actually improves the visual look of Dagobah over stock SWBFII Dagobah! He was kind enough to make a stock sides version.
this is the only review i disagree with i found sleepkillers dagobah more stable overall as the models were not bugged. the trees in serejas are bugged and for me the water looked fine but serejas had a nicer atmosphere. i should be able to set it up so a for maps like this the player can choose which port to use.
I'll let you know later KF about the other planets we need so as to gather everything into a primary archive.

Why don't we try and convert flawless BF2 maps over to BF1? There seem to be tons of errors in these conversions, why is that?

Quote from: Glitch on February 02, 2013, 11:43:18 PM
Why don't we try and convert flawless BF2 maps over to BF1? There seem to be tons of errors in these conversions, why is that?
Probably because, SWBF1 does not support terrain, some of the effects, hintnodes, mixed bump & specularity, and mostly because of collision. Seems, SWBF1, can't handle with complicated collision, of the objects. Still, I believe, if you wish, to make conversions, almost identical with original SWBF2 maps, it's very possible, but it's long work, with lot and lot of testings :sleep:.
It's never was primary target for me. I am always, try to make them better, then they was in SWBF2 (in my vision, of'course). Usualy, when I see a CP, I just feel, I have to move it, or even better: add few new ones... :D So, let's call those maps, a free interpritations ;).
Quote( Sereja is coming out with another conversion soon I think )
Oh, yes, I am realy close to finish Death Star conversion, but unfortunately, I got bad news: I moove CP's  :o.
Well, as Phobos say, my Dagobah trees, look's realy buggy on his PC, but I do not know the reason of those bug (they look's normal, on my PC), and I do not know, how to fix it :(.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Phobos on February 02, 2013, 10:15:58 PM
this is the only review i disagree with i found sleepkillers dagobah more stable overall as the models were not bugged. the trees in serejas are bugged and for me the water looked fine but serejas had a nicer atmosphere. i should be able to set it up so a for maps like this the player can choose which port to use.
I'll let you know later KF about the other planets we need so as to gather everything into a primary archive.
Hmm. Sereja's collision is fine and the trees also look fine.
SK's has the problem where on certain computers the water is red. Along with the gunship/xwing thing. BUT he did upload the assets to that map so if someone would like to fix those two bugs? That would be 1 map down to re-port!

Sereja, would it be possible for you to upload the assets of your maps thus far so that we can change the CP placement to be like SWBFII? That way we can use your ports because all of them are flawless. (Polis Massa, Naboo, and Felucia? )

i had a screenshot of the tree bug somewhere

Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

February 03, 2013, 05:28:38 PM #29 Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:33:31 PM by Glitch
Lets plan on fixing all existing map bugs this time around. Make everything perfect. I'd also suggest using BF1 style mini-maps rather than BF2 ones. Paying attention to little details like that can really make a mod great.

Oh, and would you guys like to keep the name "Star Wars Battlefront United" or name it something different?
Personally i'd love to keep the name, its an incredible project across both Battlefronts.