"Mod" SWBFI PS2?

Started by Kit Fisto, May 28, 2013, 04:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, so here is the story I was playing SWBFI on PS2 and I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool for this game to be natively widescreen? Or even be able to convert to a higher pixel amount!"
So that is my question is it possible to hex edit SWBFI PS2 to be widescreen or even to make the game play in 480p or higher. (now its 480i)
Would someone like to help me figure out how to do it? I've seen other forums discuss getting other games to work in widescreen, I don't know about getting 480p or higher.

There is a PS2 emulator if anyone wants to try and help even if they don't have a PS2.

I know the PS2 version of the game can't have any PC mods but maybe we can make the game better by hex editing it to widescreen and even "show" a better "res!" (you know what I mean ;) )

Quote from: Kit Fisto on May 28, 2013, 04:50:16 PM

I know the PS2 version of the game can't have any PC mods

I'm not so sure this is true.  I think that server side mods should work on PS2.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I don't know why but battlefront is one of the few PS2 games that looks better on my current T.V. (46inch HD/3D) than my old one. Most of my games have flaws when they're on a big screen but battlefront looks the same. Maybe it's because a lot of the textures are simple colours so they don't look so pixelated when expanded.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I almost sure, it's possible, but I do not know about this much. Still, here the Gametoast link, for some PS2 tool:
http://gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=21948&sid=cc1d3b4f28c8b275819d33c216e4ff78
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Component cables REALLY make a difference. A very worthy investment.
Quote from: Sereja on May 29, 2013, 10:19:23 AM
I almost sure, it's possible, but I do not know about this much. Still, here the Gametoast link, for some PS2 tool:
http://gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=21948&sid=cc1d3b4f28c8b275819d33c216e4ff78
Have you ever tried modding the PS2 version of SWBFI Sereja?

Modding it is a lot harder than it sounds. First you need a modded PS2. (As will anyone wanting to play the mod.) Then you'll need some form of media to store the modded version of the game on, preferably something like an external HDD so you don't have to burn a new disc each time you want to test a version.

Once you have a modded PS2 that can have an external/internal HDD hooked up to it. You could start modding, but wait there is more! You are suddenly facing a lot more memory limitations and processing limitations. You don't have as such wide freedom to deal with as you do on the PC version. (Put simply someone like Sereja probably wouldn't find it as enjoyable since you can't get as good looking visuals or as vast maps.)

I have often really wanted to give modding it a go. But I don't have a modded PS2 to use.

I like having a ps2 that works.
Can't see myself cutting it open for anything.

Quote from: tirpider on May 29, 2013, 05:45:42 PM
I like having a ps2 that works.
Can't see myself cutting it open for anything.
Likewise. I would only ever get a modded PS2 through buying one off someone.

I'd probably mod the splitscreen campaigns if I were to mod swbf1 for ps2. PC just way better so why bother lol.

Isn't there a way to edit the actual SWBFI PS2 DVD disk? I think that is how people change some PS2 games into widescreen mode. http://psx-scene.com/forums/official-ps2-widescreen-hacks-forum/

I wouldn't want to open up my PS2 or anything like that (although I already did just to look inside ::) )

Well I won't be modding the PS2 version any time soon. But I did buy a modded xBox and am now waiting for it to arrive. I'll see about getting SWBF on it so I can see what I can mess with. (Doesn't exactly help you though Kit, sorry.)

Ah well, all I really wanted to do was get SWBFI to have widescreen natively without the stretch. :shrug:

I think I found a possible way to mod the SWBFI PS2 version. First you would copy the disk on a computer, then add whatever mod files you would like (new sides, new maps, mod maps?) then copy the modded SWBFI PS2 onto a DVD and find a way to make the PS2 play that DVD!
The last step is the hard part and I'm still trying to figure out how to do it...

Yeah you need a modded PS2 to do that Kit. Consoles are self aware you see, they know when a disc is legit or not.

But theoretically it would work, putting modded PC files into the PS2 version of SWBFI?