Woods: Search and Destroy

Started by Breakdown, February 12, 2009, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
NIce job BD. I played this map on GR 4 times with 4 to 5 people. No lag or not much lag during game play (although I was hosting) but I didn't hear any complaints. The layout is nice and the objective is fresh. The Empire seems to have an advantage since they won every time and we're able to get to and cap the middle CP first every time.  I agree with Dresh that this map does not need vehicles. It's not that big and it's nice to take a walk through the woods, nice scenery.  I wouldn't mind one  more neutral CP a little closer to the Rebs cargo CP, might even out the sides and a little more fighting in the woods would make it a little tougher to get to the oppositions cargo. All in all , lots of fun, fun online, everyone in game said "nice map". Good job BD.

Continuing on about what SchTick said, I joined for a few minutes and I really liked it. I thought it was well mapped, but one peculiar thing happened. The map crashed it seemed on everyone including SchTick, the host. Any ideas Breakdown?

Wow, thanks for the comments guys! :)

One of the reasons the bots go right after CP is because I think their prime objective is to capture CP's, not  destroy a box.

Concerning Vehicles: Ok, I was thinking of adding maybe a speeder bike or something to get around quicker, but if you guys don't mind walking around it's fine with me :P

Has anybody tried snipoing yet? I would like to know if the trees are far enough apart to get a good shot.

Anyway..keep the comments coming!  Before I make another version I would like to have some more comments/suggestions if there are any.

-Breakdown

It seems that the Empire cargo crashes the game when destroyed. The black box doesn't matter much in my opinion. :)

Any idea on why the Empire cargo is crashing the game?

Also, I think you should increase the health of the cargo by 5x so it's harder to kill and makes the game last longer. Then, place the center command post below the surface of the ground so it cannot be taken. Or place or somewhere that it cannot be seen or it cannot captured. That will make it more realistic.

Hmmm.

I think it crashes when a cargo is destroyed and there are no more CP's for a certain team. I'm not for sure, but I am really thinking that's why. I'll have to look into it. Because I don't understand how on Hoth lets say, the Empire ha nso CP's left and their AT-AT CP gets destroyed, and the victory timer comes on. For me it crashes. Hmm..

I could try to do what you said Mac: Place the CP underground but I dunno if it will help any.

As for the cargos health: Trust me, I lowered the health pretty much 5 times. Well, maybe a bit more, but I guess I can raise it to two times more.

Any suggestions on weapon improvement? Just keep in mind I kept the weapons the same for each side for balance issues.

Quote from: "breakdown"Hmmm.
.....Any suggestions on weapon improvement? Just keep in mind I kept the weapons the same for each side for balance issues.

I think you should replace the time bombs with 3 health and ammo packs. Or can you add a 3rd secondary weapon of 1 health and ammo pack? That would make it nicer I think.

Also, I suggest making the firepower and angle of the mortar launcher the same as in game. It feels different so it is hard to aim.

I actually would like a pistol. There were many times when I oh-so-needed it when playing the map on Gameranger.

#TYBG

you could always give each section an uncappable CP and the cargo, that way both teams can still spawn even if the cargo is destroyed, set the ticket bleed quite high so that the game will be over quite quickly as soon as the cargo is gone!  This should hopefully mean you don't have to sort out the crashing problem, and it will sort the neutral cp prob.  You can hide these Cp's underground too and just have the spawnpath on the ground. so you cant see it in game!

Another question..is it fair to have one cargo in a building and the other not?  
I also played with the sniper and didn't see any probs regarding line of sight, but I'll play again and clock how it is from behind all the 'obvious' hiding/cover spots!

Ok, the file was approved on SWBFFiles, and Era (the reviewer) made some good points and said it could be a great map with more work.

Some of his suggestions I am thinking off adding:

- More cargo

- Less bots on the field

- More unit variety

- Terrain variety

- More props (I'll try to only add a little, I want it to be Mac friendly, since I hear Mac users have troubles with Endor stuff)

I'll start working right away..

Hi BD,

I tried to play it a few times, but it crashes my computer within a few seconds after start.. like when the bots start spawning. Not sure what the problem is, if its just my computer can't handle it, or if its a glitch in the mod. But I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work.

Hmm.

Do you have heroes on?? I TRIED to make it so if someone has heroes on it won't crash..but I'll try on second.

If it is the problem, I'll upload new "heroes compatible" sides.

EDIT: Yeah it's heroes...terribly sorry for the inconvinience...I'll upload a fix in a few hours

EDIT: Ok here you go, should work with heroes now, if that wasn't your problem..well I don't what else could be. :(
http://files.filefront.com/searchanddes ... einfo.html

sorry about that, I thoguht I had tested heroes

well maybe it would be an idea to make a stairs (by the cp for rebels) so they can snipe over he hole map O_o
just a suggestion

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

It's whole, not hole.

Breakdown said earlier that there would be hint nodes to protect the map so yeah it's a good idea.

#TYBG

Great. :)

... now that I think if it, I had the exact same problem on your other map, objective one. Do you have a sides patch for that one also?

I don't...but, I suppose I could make one up sometime this week..if I forget, give me a shout. :)

Progress of Woods Search and Destroy 1.0

What needs to be done:

-Add some more unit variety

- Tweak the bot routes/foliage so bots don't get stuck

- Other gameplay tweaking

What has been fixed:

- There are now two cargos per side

-The neutral CP is still there, except it's way out in the hills, the only reason for that is because without it the game would crash when the cargo is destroyed

- After both cargoes for (IMP or ALL) is destroyed, (IMP or ALL)'s reinforcements drop very fast all the way to 12..for some reason it stops at twelve. lol but they are easy to kill anyway

- I watched first hand on the empire team a small group of imperials charging a Rebel cargo and destroying it succesfully, so the bots go after the cargo now.

- The units are now faster, to get around easier