[WIP] Naboo: City of Theed

Started by Sereja, December 11, 2016, 09:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 16, 2017, 02:42:21 AM #75 Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:51:54 AM by Gistech
Quote from: Sereja on November 15, 2017, 03:02:43 PM
Thanks. There was also really hard work to find images with all real props from the film.

Yeah, the shots from the film itself would only be useful up to a point, so it shows just how much work went into making it as authentic as possible.

QuoteThe grass texture doesn't have bump texture. Perhaps that's why it is not blue (for your PC). Seems your videocard makes bump terrrain looks weird. The same was at your Scarif map, if I remember. It's hard to find some bump option parameters compatible for all video cards...

Yeah, it's interesting because it doesn't happen on stock maps.

QuoteAh, yes I didn't spot the side count odds. They all should be about 500. (will be fixed).

Glad to see that will be fixed. And in truth, I played another round in GCW and the Empire won that one so no bones there.

I did have a couple of other suggestions after playing through the map again. This room here, and the connecting rooms, are a bit too dark in comparison to the rest of the palace:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I found this while playing with the AAT, it seems its reticule texture is missing:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I feel the main arcade could use something to make it less barren. It doesn't have to be anything huge, but maybe a couple of crates stacked to the sides or something.

Also, just a really small point, but it might be worth replacing some of the stock weapon models. I built some nice replacement weapons which are free for anybody to use (A280, DLT series, improved E-11 etc). It's not a major point but I feel the stock weapons do tend to stick out when compared to the higher quality weapons.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

I'm up for testing !!!  :cheer:
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

First report, GCW seems to completely crash the game upon being launched.

Clone Wars works, and the map rocks, as always.

MIND. BLOWN  :o

RELEASE INCOMING

Quote from: i|\|(06|\|i70 on November 17, 2017, 01:35:59 AM

Clone Wars works, and the map rocks, as always.

MIND. BLOWN  :o

Curious, I've not had that problem with GCW. In fact, GCW is the era I had the most fun with (as at the moment the Clones have to few reinforcements to fight back properly in Clone Wars)

Run it in SPTest, see if it spits out any errors in the BFront log.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

SPtest never worked for me.

RELEASE INCOMING

November 18, 2017, 12:02:26 AM #81 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:05:53 AM by Kit Fisto
Just tested it and as always the design and sides are excellent!! I had an absolute blast and it feels like it's straight out of the films!! As someone who loves The Phantom Menace it's nice to see so much love and care poured into the details of the map! I could really go on for days about how much I love it! It'll be a map I play quite a lot (just like all your others)!

As far as bugs go I only found one.
The clone pilot's first person view has droid hands.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I agree with Gistech about raising the Republic reinforcements, no more than 50 should do the trick.

I also agree with Gistech about adding something in the main courtyard to provide cover and make it look a bit less dull. I think some simple crates should do the job! If you want to be real fancy, destroyed AATs, Naboo speeders or maybe even a downed AT-AT or AT-TE would be awesome!
This is the area I'm talking about. [spoiler][/spoiler]

Not sure if this is intentional but the Naboo Guard rifle has the same sound as the E-11 blaster.

Also this is me being suuuuper nitpicky but the CIS starts off the match inside the palace, I'd think it'd be reversed since they are invading.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I remember reading that you initially had an AT-AT in the map, I felt that having some sort of mobile CP would have spiced up the exterior battle a lot more.

Having an AT-TE (for the Empire like you do in Felucia) and the MTT would really add another dimension to the map, if it's still possible to add that.

If not, perhaps having heavier vehicles like Spider Walkers, AT-STs, AT-XTs, and Rebel Tanks can add a bit more vehicle action to the map.

Also I appreciate this small touch of light rays! It makes that rotunda so much more beautiful!!
[spoiler][/spoiler]
And you're my hero for adding in the Handmaidens as playable characters! They were so much fun to play as and people often forget how cool they are in Legends.

I can't wait for the final release, it's sure to be a blast!
As always Sereja you make me never want to play another game except SWBFI!  :tu:

Just a couple more things I noticed duing my playtest today. There's gaps in some of the geometry near the hangar, and in the palace.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
In Progress:

On Hold:

Statement:Now thats a map tester.Well done Gistech well done  :cheers:

When i finish my map some day in BF2 i will call you for tester.

Ok, the AAT missing reticule, and the clone droid hands was just fixed.
Quote from: Gistech on November 18, 2017, 03:17:21 AM
Just a couple more things I noticed duing my playtest today. There's gaps in some of the geometry near the hangar, and in the palace.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Yes, that is a terrain issue, which caused by high altitude deformation. If you make too high mountains, or too deep abyss, your ZE wont show the terrain correctly, and it's hard to adjust it right. I will try to do something with this...
Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 18, 2017, 12:02:26 AM
I also agree with Gistech about adding something in the main courtyard to provide cover and make it look a bit less dull. I think some simple crates should do the job! If you want to be real fancy, destroyed AATs, Naboo speeders or maybe even a downed AT-AT or AT-TE would be awesome!
This is the area I'm talking about. [spoiler][/spoiler]
I guess this place calls a Theed Plaza, and according the film, it's really looks empty (just try to remove all gungans from there).
[spoiler][/spoiler]
But I will try to imagine something, since I already reach the limit of the hintnodes (350), and can't force AI to hide behind the obstacles anymore. Perhaps It's could be some part of the decor like vases or planters, with no chance to be used as a cover by AI. I never playd SWBFEA, but I saw in YouTube much more "military style" at the Plaza, like a crates or gun boxes. Not sure if the main street to the Royal Palace, could be really in such mess...
QuoteNot sure if this is intentional but the Naboo Guard rifle has the same sound as the E-11 blaster.
Must be because its really E-11 blaster .odf with just green blaster bolts. :P
QuoteAlso this is me being suuuuper nitpicky but the CIS starts off the match inside the palace, I'd think it'd be reversed since they are invading.
Hmm, not really. Actually the invasion happened without any resistance. Naboo Guards, leaded by Amidala, was tried to retake palace when it was already under CIS control. (I was planning to add Naboo Guards in CW as main side instead of clones in begining.)
QuoteI remember reading that you initially had an AT-AT in the map, I felt that having some sort of mobile CP would have spiced up the exterior battle a lot more.

Having an AT-TE (for the Empire like you do in Felucia) and the MTT would really add another dimension to the map, if it's still possible to add that.

If not, perhaps having heavier vehicles like Spider Walkers, AT-STs, AT-XTs, and Rebel Tanks can add a bit more vehicle action to the map.
Well, that's tricky. To make AI move correctly I need to add planning and barriers, visible for them. The game may recognize only the 6 types of them:
Soldier - lets unit to go everywhere but avoid the water.
Hover - lets move in the mid size places and in the water (Gian Speeder)
Small - lets move in thin places and in the water (STAP)
Medium - lets move in wide places and in the water (AAT, IFT).
Huge - lets move in thin places but avoid water. (AT-RT).
Flyer - lets to fly everywhere.
To add command walker like AT-AT I need to have seventh slot like this:
xxxx - lets move in wide places but avoid the water (AT-TE).
I can change the meanings of the each slot but I just can't have the seventh one. So without correct barriers, the AT-TE will have a drunk AI driver and may go to the unexpected direction (or just won't ever move).
Quote from: i|\|(06|\|i70 on November 17, 2017, 01:35:59 AM
That's what I may expected. It is a side overload bug and it's may appears at certain PC only. I will try to remove rebel side and this bug should be gone.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on November 18, 2017, 11:56:34 AM
Yes, that is a terrain issue, which caused by high altitude deformation. If you make too high mountains, or too deep abyss, your ZE wont show the terrain correctly, and it's hard to adjust it right. I will try to do something with this...

With two of those shots I think you just need something to 'cover it up' or stop people from getting to those areas. IIRC EA's version of the third shot (inside the palace) had a door in place of the gate so that might be an option if you can't get that part of the terrain to behave.

QuoteMust be because its really E-11 blaster .odf with just green blaster bolts.

If this really is an issue, I have sound effects for the Naboo Guard weapons. However, for me it doesn't detract. I'd assume there's a ton of sound effects already in use and you would risk breaking the sounds already in there. Having said that, I have a much cleaner ELG3A sound, if you want it.
In Progress:

On Hold:

November 18, 2017, 01:08:17 PM #86 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:16:05 PM by Kit Fisto
I will try to do something with this...I guess this place calls a Theed Plaza, and according the film, it's really looks empty (just try to remove all gungans from there).
[spoiler][/spoiler]
But I will try to imagine something, since I already reach the limit of the hintnodes (350), and can't force AI to hide behind the obstacles anymore. Perhaps It's could be some part of the decor like vases or planters, with no chance to be used as a cover by AI. I never playd SWBFEA, but I saw in YouTube much more "military style" at the Plaza, like a crates or gun boxes. Not sure if the main street to the Royal Palace, could be really in such mess...
I see. In my opinion the map would look better, not worse with something in the plaza, even if it is messy. ;)
Maybe the Clones/Naboo Guards are using the plaza as a staging area before they try to take back the palace and that is why they have crates and boxes all over.
As far as the AI using them for cover, they don't necessarily have to, as long as they can navigate through them. It's more cover for the player.
But I understand the desire to be accurate to the film.

Hmm, not really. Actually the invasion happened without any resistance. Naboo Guards, leaded by Amidala, was tried to retake palace when it was already under CIS control. (I was planning to add Naboo Guards in CW as main side instead of clones in begining.)
Oh dang! I just got out Star Warsed!! You got a point there my friend!
However, since Clone Wars is now Clones vs Droids wouldn't the Clones have control of the palace?  :P

Well, that's tricky. To make AI move correctly I need to add planning and barriers, visible for them. The game may recognize only the 6 types of them:
Soldier - lets unit to go everywhere but avoid the water.
Hover - lets move in the mid size places and in the water (Gian Speeder)
Small - lets move in thin places and in the water (STAP)
Medium - lets move in wide places and in the water (AAT, IFT).
Huge - lets move in thin places but avoid water. (AT-RT).
Flyer - lets to fly everywhere.
To add command walker like AT-AT I need to have seventh slot like this:
xxxx - lets move in wide places but avoid the water (AT-TE).
I can change the meanings of the each slot but I just can't have the seventh one. So without correct barriers, the AT-TE will have a drunk AI driver and may go to the unexpected direction (or just won't ever move).That's what I may expected. It is a side overload bug and it's may appears at certain PC only. I will try to remove rebel side and this bug should be gone.
Ah I see. It wasn't a major issue, just thought as an alternative to adding things to the plaza that more vehicles may work.

Also for those that have played the map I just want you all to take a look at this screenshot from the film and notice how accurate this map is!!
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Would you consider adding an additional mission.lvl where it is Naboo Guards vs Battle Droids? That way we can recreate the film!

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 18, 2017, 01:08:17 PM
Oh dang! I just got out Star Warsed!! You got a point there my friend!
However, since Clone Wars is now Clones vs Droids wouldn't the Clones have control of the palace?  :P
Not necessarily, let's take the situation Sereja's map is providing and explore it. (I'm going to ignore the EU here and go solely off the films.)

So first we know the Republic had many member worlds and unless the Republic had foreknowledge of an attack against a single planet (assuming that planet was of little strategic value) it is likely it would succeed. The Republic hardly would've had the numbers to maintain a substantial garrison on each member planet.

And in the case of Naboo from the films we know their own security forces were no match for "a battle hardened Federation army". Which would suggest that they would not have been able to offer substantial resistance to an even better equipped Separatist army. (Of course it's possible after the first invasion Naboo went through widespread reforms to maintain an army and defences to prevent another invasion from succeeding. Although given they oppose the creation of a galactic army in the second film it seems unlikely, but still it is certainly possible.)

And remember that Naboo was remote enough that the Senate was hesitant to believe accusations that the Trade Federation had invaded and occupied the planet. This backs up that the Separatists could invade the planet (or at least key portions of it, such as it's capital city) before the Republic could respond.

Nute Gunray also (as depicted in Attack of the Clones) held a severe grudge against Padmé Amidala for besting him and it is believable that he would use his influence to have the planet invaded as a form of revenge.

Overall I believe the situation Sereja depicts of the Republic liberating the planet has a greater thematic basis than them defending the planet. (Although the inverse situation is possible to come up with as well of course.)

November 18, 2017, 07:49:34 PM #88 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:51:19 PM by RepComm
Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 18, 2017, 12:02:26 AM
This is the area I'm talking about. [spoiler]
[/spoiler]
How about some festive streamers and banners? :
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 18, 2017, 06:52:32 PM
[spoiler]Not necessarily, let's take the situation Sereja's map is providing and explore it. (I'm going to ignore the EU here and go solely off the films.)

So first we know the Republic had many member worlds and unless the Republic had foreknowledge of an attack against a single planet (assuming that planet was of little strategic value) it is likely it would succeed. The Republic hardly would've had the numbers to maintain a substantial garrison on each member planet.

And in the case of Naboo from the films we know their own security forces were no match for "a battle hardened Federation army". Which would suggest that they would not have been able to offer substantial resistance to an even better equipped Separatist army. (Of course it's possible after the first invasion Naboo went through widespread reforms to maintain an army and defences to prevent another invasion from succeeding. Although given they oppose the creation of a galactic army in the second film it seems unlikely, but still it is certainly possible.)

And remember that Naboo was remote enough that the Senate was hesitant to believe accusations that the Trade Federation had invaded and occupied the planet. This backs up that the Separatists could invade the planet (or at least key portions of it, such as it's capital city) before the Republic could respond.

Nute Gunray also (as depicted in Attack of the Clones) held a severe grudge against Padmé Amidala for besting him and it is believable that he would use his influence to have the planet invaded as a form of revenge.

Overall I believe the situation Sereja depicts of the Republic liberating the planet has a greater thematic basis than them defending the planet. (Although the inverse situation is possible to come up with as well of course.)[/spoiler]
*stretches fingers*
WELL as depicted in The Clone Wars animated show Naboo was a substantial planet in the galaxy post-TPM. They held festivals there (Festival of light, S4) and quickly shut down an undercover Separatist virus plot (Blue Shadow Virus, S1).
The fact that Naboo was the homeworld of Palpatine as well as the planet which Padmè, a substantial leader in the Republic and outspoken voice, represented added to the increased protection of it and vitality of keeping it within the protection of the Army. It was equivalent to Alderaan, which never saw boots on the ground action during The Clone War.

Let us not forget, as seen in AotC, Naboo has become a major spaceport planet as well, ferrying refugees to the planet so they can go on their way.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I doubt the Republic would leave such a valuable refugee location in the open, undefended.
And the economy of Naboo, based in the mining of plasma, would also add to the need to defend properly.

I'm not saying it isn't possible that Nute Gunray would try to invade to get revenge, but at this point in the war (Phase II clones are in use on the map) the lines are pretty much drawn and the major battles are taking place in the Outer Rim.
If the Separatists were to attempt an invasion it would be a full on frontal assault of the Palace, a palace in which the Clone Army (stationed there to protect the spaceport and precious plasma mines) is defending.

Overall I believe that your point is incorrect in the current depiction of the canon Star Wars universe and should be reviewed keeping in mind galactic politics/economy in mind.

Quote from: RepComm on November 18, 2017, 07:49:34 PM
How about some festive streamers and banners? :
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I second this.