The History of Star Wars Battlefront!

Started by (Wusi)Trooper X, December 28, 2013, 01:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I recieved it for christmas one year, and mabye 3 months later i began playing online. Not long after i got bored and uninstalled. 7-8 months later i started playing again, and ended up join swbfgamers here.

I got the game back in 2006, and played 1.0 for about a year.  I didn't know there was a 1.2 at the time, but even then I wouldn't have cared.  I played with many different people when I could.  I joined my first clan {DX} (not at all related to the new clan that popped up before Gamespy went down) and rose the ranks there.  I decided I was better (a little overconfident, maybe...) and started my own clan.  Because I had dialup (and still do), I could not host servers, and I only ever got a couple people to join the clan.  I stopped in 2007 due to having so much other stuff in life and my clan had failed miserably.
Fast forward to 2009.  We get a new computer, I pick up the game again and go "Wonder if anyone still plays online?"  Yep, they do.  And there's this guy Bobby with this clan of like 50 people running around, with some other clans like [NJ] and (the clan I eventually joined) {WAR}.  The clan was very skilled, but inconsistent at arriving to stuff.  I played in what was supposed to be an official battle with BOB, and I was the only one who showed up vs about 10 BOBs.  It ended up being a fun game with a couple BOBs with me vs the rest of BOB, and I made new friends.  Sadly, about 3-4 months after I joined, the whole {WAR} clan left, leaving me.  So I joined BOB in February 2010 and they let me come in.  In August they needed a temporary leader (I had risen the ranks quite fast) and I was appointed and the job stuck.  I'm still there today.  I didn't even test the waters of 1.2 until about late 2011, and would play there once in a while to get better when 1.0 was a little slow.

Ok, I've droned on for too long.

P.S. I asked Led to bring SWBFgamers to 1.0 before Gamespy went down about 8 months later.  It was awesome to have 24 hours servers which I hadn't seen since like... 2007.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

April 04, 2014, 02:55:06 PM #32 Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:32:31 PM by CommanderAwesome
Me and my father picked up the game for the PS2 around 2005ish and almost immediately became obsessed with it, I got SWBF2 about a year after. I played it almost every day. I liked SWBF2 better in those days. After seeing all the cool mods for SWBF2 on the internet, I got the PC version of both games at around 2010, and fell in love with the conversion pack. When I lost my copy of BF2 a few months later, I began appreciating BF1 a lot more, especially when I got the Main Play Mod. Now I love both games equally. The convo pack and MPM 6 (both of which I still play to this day) inspired me to make my own mods, which eventually led me Gametoast and this site (in which I was able to find all the amazing mods you can't find on FileFront!) . Though I didn't start any serious modding until late 2012 (earlier I was more into modding Empire At War, but that's another story). And in early 2014 I started my first big project for BF1.

Hello all,

I am a player from long ago.  I was part of the glorious "Pants" clan of the unclanned (/\S).  Playing swbf1 with those guys (and all of you old time players) were some of the most enjoyable times playing video games that ive ever had.  I miss those times.  Playing games online today have no comparison to back then. 

If any pants memmbers or general players come across this in the future  please send me a message!

Urgh
Analog
Moff Dyver
Blast Tyrant
/\E  (Cant remember his alias)
Hopko
Ryanosaurus
Schtick
Nightfalcon

and a bunch of others I cannot remember

Long live swbf for Mac!

Hi SubContractor--Buckler here.  Good to see you find us.

Ryan, Areia (Thomas) and Schtick stop by every once in a while, and we managed to keep Unit 33 here somehow  ;)

I hope all is well!

Things haven't been the same since Gamespy got shut down (no DC's) but maybe some day we can find a way...
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Hey there everyone. first time poster, but i lurked this site quite some time. So here is my version of how i experienced swbf.( I started playing online around october 2009 and I´m european)
So i started playing 1.2 online on public servers hosted in europe, like OOC Arena, Ententeich or CloudCity GCW only. I played some times willing to join a clan but i didn´t found one suiting me.
There were many big clans like EnTen, UEF, ILL, and all the other former ESL league clans. But their Members switched to swbf2 more and more, so they became less of an influence. Eventually i found a Clan called 21st Century, a group of German based players without any experience. In the beginning everyone could join and our Member list grew to around 35+. After that our Leaders FuriousBastard, Metalkiller and BloodyMisery started restructuring. Members got kicked and all Ranks besides Leader/CoLeader and Member were "deleted", so basically everyone was equal. We started training and got our own Server. We played many Wars against Clans like: [OOC], =|.T.L|=, EnTen, [TWA] -=NE=-, PRO, -={NO}=-,TnR, God´z Un!t, BW and many more. in the beginning we lost some but later we got a score around 50+ wins and only 7 losses. We played A team against B team and had our own Clan Design. Over the time the Clan Tags changed a bit and wen´t from 21st´CenturY over  '21st Cen¯I¯urY ( for the longest part) to 21| . Some players started playing CoD BlackOps when it came out which caused a crysis. The other Members kept playing but since Battlefront became more and more inactive and we got less aktive Members the Clan shrinked. At one Point i stopped playing swbf1 to go to swbf2 and play in the ESL, i made a break from that and joinend 212, which was big and friendly community :) I started ranking up in a few weeks by bypassing certain ranks until i became General. After that i was promoted to become Advisor, but RealLife kept me from playing, until i saw an skype friend request from Mart, which "forced" me to install and play again! so here i am again :D lagging and shooting people in their heads :)

This is my Battlefront Story :) 3.5 Years full of joy, I am looking at with tears in my eyes :(

Quote from: SubContractor on April 06, 2014, 07:12:47 PM
Hello all,

I am a player from long ago.  I was part of the glorious "Pants" clan of the unclanned (/\S).  Playing swbf1 with those guys (and all of you old time players) were some of the most enjoyable times playing video games that ive ever had.  I miss those times.  Playing games online today have no comparison to back then. 

If any pants memmbers or general players come across this in the future  please send me a message!

Urgh
Analog
Moff Dyver
Blast Tyrant
/\E  (Cant remember his alias)
Hopko
Ryanosaurus
Schtick
Nightfalcon

and a bunch of others I cannot remember

Long live swbf for Mac!

Happy Belated May the 4th Be With You Day!

Good to hear Im not the only Pants clan member longing for the "good ol' days"

I hope to meet you all on the Battlefield another day.

/\BT

I have seen them :
Ryanosaurus
Schtick
Nightfalcon
:D ! :moo:

Any of the old Ham & Eggers looking to scrap via DC for nostalgia sake?
I got an old mac G4 laptop that still plays SWBF and a folder full of maps!

https://www.facebook.com/swbf.pants?fref=ts

The old swbf days is the gaming time i miss the most. Its always hard for me to read about the old days beacuse i miss it too much x)

Quote from: Blast Tyrant on May 06, 2015, 06:57:37 AM
Any of the old Ham & Eggers looking to scrap via DC for nostalgia sake?
I got an old mac G4 laptop that still plays SWBF and a folder full of maps!

https://www.facebook.com/swbf.pants?fref=ts

Unfortunately, I don't think Gamemaster supports DCs...  but there are ways  to run SWBF on a Mac using Wine:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5450.0
and then you can join the PC servers.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Hey...that profile image looks familiar.

I started playing 1.0 on the xbox. I wasn't introduced to it, I just walked into my parents' bedroom to get something and found it. And thus began my fall to Star Wars. I have no regrets.

I played solo and sometimes played with my father. My play-style was kill everything and his was capture all command posts. So naturally I eventually surpassed him and then he got too busy to play anymore. Sometimes my best friend and I would play together on the xbox. We played on Platforms a lot and always shouted "sniper!" or "droideka!" to one another.

Later on I found out another friend of mine had the pc version and he let me borrow it. I eventually got my own copy and then ran into Snake not too long after. The rest...is history.

Quote from: 411Remnant on December 28, 2013, 02:44:47 PM
originally it was a mod for battlefield 1945(one of them anway) I think. Beleive it or not, a few of the modders would be hired to help make battlefront 1.

Edit: Actually this was mis-information. I had seen this video regarding histroy on the game and it wasn't exactly resaerched very well. At least now that I re-checked it and it doesnt give any reliable sources. For that I apoligize for posting this lol.

Battlefield 1942, and there was a mod called Galactic Conquest; but nothing from Battlefront ever came from Galactic Conquest.

I don't know where you got your info, but I still run a group that plays GC (along with some of the devs of the mod) and you're wayyyyyy off.

Quote from: Led on May 06, 2015, 09:08:10 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think Gamemaster supports DCs...  but there are ways  to run SWBF on a Mac using Wine:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5450.0
and then you can join the PC servers.

I bought I PC copy today off eBay. Ill figure it out once it arrives, and hit you up with any questions. Look forward to seeing SWBF on my main mac again.
Thanks!