Ruusan: Canyon Oasis

Started by Dark_Phantom, April 26, 2022, 12:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 26, 2022, 12:27:49 PM Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 01:08:23 PM by Dark_Phantom
Ruusan: Canyon Oasis

Ruusan: Canyon Oasis by Dark_Phantom

Tucked away on the planet Ruusan, a small oasis was constructed upon and inhabited, then abandoned abruptly for unknown reasons. Fighting for control of the Valley of the Jedi, Jerec leads a platoon of his Imperial Remnant to take this key strategic position from the fledgling rebellion troops, led by Kyle Katarn.

This map has custom heroes that will only show up with "Instant Action Heroes" enabled.  I recommend this option.

Canyon Oasis is a multiplayer-only map from Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 that gained notoriety on its release in 1997. The map soon became the most popular by far in Dark Forces 2 communities for its clever design and exciting gameplay possibilities in a Team Deathmatch or FFA format. Many adaptations of the map were released in modding communities over the years. It is assumed that the planet is Ruusan because it uses the same textures as in Single Player on Ruusan, so I've taken liberty to make it the planet name for the map.

I had more I wished to add but the scope of the mod was becoming incredibly large for one map, and decided it would be better to limit myself with no more glaring bugs and essential features implemented.
There will be a MP version of this map with the intention of FFA mode in the near future.  The current map works online but is lacking in some areas for this format.

Credits:
Lucasarts/Lucasfilm/Disney - Star Wars, original JK:DF2 map and assets
Ecki81 - jediknight2blender addon
Sleepkiller/Nihilisk - Blender .msh import/export
Ande - ZETools
Teancum - Advice, showing the JK2Blender addon, Kyle Katarn and Jerec conversions, UV mapping help, Moldy Crow
Madjai/Inbredyokel - Original Jerec model which Teancum converted
DarthPhae/Plasma - JK Kyle Katarn and lightsaber
Tirpider - BF1 hex edit rendertypes
TreeMarmot - JK Neural Upscale Pack

CONFIRMED BUGS:
1.) Confirmed AI can glitch in random areas (probably due to too many or bad spawns), but have not personally found it.
2.) "Meditation" in the Covered Basin and Alcove can become extreme.  I've tried to limit this by manipulating spawn points and barriers but I think it is just the nature of having such a small map with multiple vertical levels, which Battlefront was not designed for.

NOTES:
1.) Force Destruction is a little odd looking but in the grand scheme of things is fine.
2.) There are a grand total of 5 Easter Eggs.  Two are very similar scripted Easter Eggs and the other three are environment.  Can you find them all?
I wanted more but I wanted to release this map more than making 20 Easter eggs.

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1612

The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

April 26, 2022, 12:35:25 PM #1 Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 12:38:43 PM by Dark_Phantom

Idk why I can't get imgur embeds to work.  Oh well.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Just played this both ways and it was fun. It's quite a unique map being so tight with multiple levels, single player is a lot of grenades but I think it would work well online.

I like the medpacks  ;)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)