A Small Idea

Started by Norwood, July 10, 2014, 12:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Here is a small idea of mine that may be able to help in a big way: what if this community had a server on SWBF2 that encouraged the players to visit this site, and play SWBF1 again? We could call it "www.SWBFGamers.com [something]" As anyone who plays SWBF2 knows the server manager allows you to leave messages promoting web sites.(as well as the rules) What do you guys think of this idea, and is anyone willng to host the server?
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

:slap: WE ALREADY HAVE THAT, LOOK AT THE HOME PAGE.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

I think you misunderstand me, I SAID SWBF2 SERVER, trying to get people back into SWBF1. ::)

Yes its a BF2 server, and it has BF1 maps loaded on it.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Not sure it would work because
A: a lot of the people playing swbf2 are from steam, and don't have swbf1 available,
B: swbf2 people probably know swbf1 exists, and if they liked it better, would indeed play it.

COD, the game tracker doesn't have an option for swbf1, so we just select swbf2.

Ok I'm glad that you agree with me that it is indeed a SWBF1 server.

Point A: Good point, but if they knew it was there would they not by it on Amazon or something?
Also I may have forgot to mention this is a also just for general site promotion, if wanted.
Point B: Most people, including myself, only "liked" it better because it was the only game online.
An the whole purpose of this is to tell them it is back online, but you do have a good point there.

We can do this.  Norwood, do you have any experience setting up a SWBF2 server ?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I know a little bit, but I know nothing about VDSs. I do know though it is about the same as SWBF1, it just has a nice remote manager, which I don't entirely know how to work. :( Anyder at least should know how, so we could ask him.

Ok using the Black Bag Ops server manager, (The one you want) I was able to launch a test server, (But with out forwarded ports and the necessary connection speed of course.) The only thing I don't know how to do is add banned words and the Admin messages. (Which we would use to tell them about SWBF1 or at least this site.) I will see if I can figure it out.

Ya, I could set one swbf2 server with those things...

But last time i hosted it, not many people joined.... but i can try
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

That would be nice if your willing, but I have one HUGH suggestion to whoever hosts, make sure friendly fire is off. The most used servers have friendly fire off.

If u get the server manager for administering it, i'll give u full access to the server, and so u'll edit it as u wish...
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Alright thanks to Anyder we know have a server up in v1.0, however does anyone think we need a server in v1.1? and does anyone want to host that? As for the current server if you have any suggestions please share them.

Quote from: PatriotNorwood on July 10, 2014, 07:35:45 PM
Alright thanks to Anyder we know have a server up in v1.0, however does anyone think we need a server in v1.1? and does anyone want to host that? As for the current server if you have any suggestions please share them.
It depends on who you want to attract.  Are you trying to attract people from steam? From all aspects of the community? Ask yourself these questions, and use the versions that suit your needs.
(that seems oddly spiritual, when it clearly isn't very spiritual.  hmm food for thought.)

July 11, 2014, 08:31:28 AM #14 Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:45:15 AM by PatriotNorwood
Overnight we have had 144 visitors to the server, what they think of it I don't know. At least there is a little interest in it.