[CANCELLED]"Star Wars: Battlefront Expanded" Official Mod Thread

Started by Giftheck, December 08, 2010, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Did you change anything else?
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

I'm still in the game, folks.

Despite the week off a couple of weeks back, I didn't end up getting much done. Doing a mod like this one is quite a daunting task, and I wanted to implement a few new ideas while I was at it. The scripting side of it is also a lot more difficult than I anticipated given I'm essentially working to bring what was an older version of this mod (from the transitionary phase of Main Play Mod to BFE) up to date. Progress is going, and is going to be, admittedly slow, and I don't think I'll make any deadlines this time. Deadlines mean stress, which means a less polished product.

I bought a book called "Star Wars: The Essential Guide To Warfare" and that's proving to be quite inspirational for this mod.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Mainly a cosmetic question, but would you guys rather the Super Battle Droid was the main infantry unit of the CIS, or the standard Battle Droid? Perhaps I could give the SBD the Officer role (currently assigned to the MagnaGuard)
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

While I think using the SBD as the regular unit would be groovy, the good old Battle Droid makes more sense.

However, using the SBD would be a good oportunity to make some skins for it.  Has anyone ever reskinned the SBD before?

You can make certain maps have a B1 battledroid, then others have the SBD...

I think the plain old battledroid should be used. In reality (if you would call it that) super battledroids are much more expensive to make that just making a skeleton. Besides, the only other time we have seen b1s are in the campaign.

In the early parts of the Clone Wars the SuperBattledroids aren't as common in battle so it actually would be cool to see them as a special unit. Large, slow and super powerful! That would bring something that SWBFI mods haven't see before!

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll follow your suggestions and make the SBD the Officer unit of the CIS. :D
In Progress:

On Hold:

Still not dead, but a working version is going to take a while. My personal life, and a couple of  other projects, have made working on this quite a bit more difficult. It will get done, it's just a matter of when.

BTW, I'm looking for somebody who can convert the space maps from BF2 into BF1, and have the gameplay work. Napseeker had a workaround in which you had a chance of spawning on an enemy's ship, and the critical systems essentially served as spawnless CPs which affected the outcome. Maybe that'd be something to play around with. I'm only looking to convert four of them, however: the ones for Yavin, Endor, Coruscant and Kashyyyk.
In Progress:

On Hold:

It's not dead it's just restin.

Yes those SWBF2  Space maps were the most memorable, the others were pretty much forgettable.

Yeah, I found that for the most part, the others just parroted either the design of those four, or just a standard setup.

I have plans for the campaign: it'll be a little like the BF1 campaign in that it crosses the four sides. Clone Wars will start pre-Battle of Naboo, with the maps reordered a little (Theed will go first because it's introducing the invasion). The CIS portion won't be too big, though (although you'll get to play Dust Plains as the final CIS mission before Spire as the first Republic mission), but The Clone Wars and pre-GCW/early GCW portions I plan on being quite expansive. The Rebel campaign will go from Yavin IV through to the establishment of the New Republic.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: ggctuk2005 on March 28, 2013, 02:23:55 PM
Yeah, I found that for the most part, the others just parroted either the design of those four, or just a standard setup.
The Rebel campaign will go from Yavin IV through to the establishment of the New Republic.
Ah groovy, a lot of mods ignore the tail end of the GCW since it's not in the movies, so you should have plenty fun there.

Quote from: ggctuk2005 on March 28, 2013, 02:23:55 PM

I have plans for the campaign: it'll be a little like the BF1 campaign in that it crosses the four sides. Clone Wars will start pre-Battle of Naboo, with the maps reordered a little (Theed will go first because it's introducing the invasion). The CIS portion won't be too big, though (although you'll get to play Dust Plains as the final CIS mission before Spire as the first Republic mission), but The Clone Wars and pre-GCW/early GCW portions I plan on being quite expansive. The Rebel campaign will go from Yavin IV through to the establishment of the New Republic.
Sounds awesome!!

A space map is a hard thing to do in SWBFI. I suggest only having 2, a CW and a GCW one. I can't make maps (or else I would have said yes to your request) If you were to do something like a space map I suggest doing it like how Rends did his Hoth Escape. It isn't exactly like SWBFII but there were plenty of AI ships to destroy...

I'm glad this mod is still alive! :)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 28, 2013, 02:34:58 PM
If you were to do something like a space map I suggest doing it like how Rends did his Hoth Escape. It isn't exactly like SWBFII but there were plenty of AI ships to destroy...
I'm glad this mod is still alive! :)
Hoth: Escape does play to the linear bot routing of SWBF, but as gogo12/ginev has already proved that you can have more complex space maps with plenty of bots to dog fight with.