Star Wars: Battlefront may be coming to Steam, GOG and Origin

Started by Giftheck, May 01, 2019, 11:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: WusiBabyEater on May 01, 2019, 10:40:37 PM
I was able to play the steam version with my native resolution which is 1440p but after applying the patch, it only goes to 1080p in the options. How can I get my res back to 1440p?

You might be able to force the game to use that resolution using launch options, but it will likely be very stretched in-game.

Incredible, but it surprises me little. At last Disney has discovered SWBF (2004) and I can already assume that they'll take advantage of this with the Steam/GOG versions. In my opinion, good news to encourage Star Wars fans also to play the very first game.

Having said that, I suppose there will be included multiplayer support in the same version of Steam, I hope so. I don't think SWBFSpy is a viable alternative, you only need to check the number of players which have moved to the Steam/GOG servers in SWBF2 as proof of that. This is bad news for those who keep the original DVD version of the game (like me).

Finally, I hope there's language support. It is surprising how little they insist on implementing the rest of the languages ​​having source files of the locolizations of SWBF1. Same for SWBF2.
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

Incredible, but it surprises me little. At last Disney has discovered SWBF (2004) and I can already assume that they'll take advantage of this with the Steam/GOG versions. In my opinion, good news to encourage Star Wars fans also to play the very first game.

Yeah, I think it's great that the people who previously never played the game will now have a good platform to pick it up and try it on.

Having said that, I suppose there will be included multiplayer support in the same version of Steam, I hope so. I don't think SWBFSpy is a viable alternative, you only need to check the number of players which have moved to the Steam/GOG servers in SWBF2 as proof of that. This is bad news for those who keep the original DVD version of the game (like me).

While I myself still hold out hope that they will indeed eventually restore official multiplayer to the game, I don't think it's as necessary as you believe. You see, the SWBF2 SWBFSpy servers are only as lowly populated as they are because of the already existing official servers for that game. Before it got restored, SWBF2Spy was actually fairly active and was only second to GameRanger in terms of player count, or at least that's what I perceived at the time.

Finally, I hope there's language support. It is surprising how little they insist on implementing the rest of the languages ​​having source files of the locolizations of SWBF1. Same for SWBF2.

If what GOG did to SWBF2 when they brought back multiplayer for that game has taught us anything, it's that movie files are massive, as shown by the 3-4 GB worth of files they ended up adding just from the multi-language movie files that they added. I for one would be strongly opposed to seeing anything like that added to SWBF1 because of that.

I do not think multiplayer on steam will allow dedicated servers for the game, you may connect with other people by self hosting, but Anthony's guide remains the best alternative to host game servers for now.

e: Steam's way of solving the problem:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

An interesting development.   ;)

Of course, Direct Connection also used Gamespy...so it is not clear how that works now unless they did some reworking.

And, I will add, just in time for May 4th.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks for the tutorial Anthony!  I'm gonna try it when I get home
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Hey all, it's been a long time since I've been here but I've come back after hearing about the release of the 2004 game on Steam.

I have hopes that they will release multiplayer support for this game as they did with the 2005 game. The 2004/2005 games were my childhood and I hope to continue playing them. I was never interested in buying the game on disc, hoping for a digital release someday and it happened.

I just have one question though, I guess rolling and sprinting was never a feature in this game? I can't remember back to when I originally played it as a kid. But, I can't find any options to sprint/roll. And, when I pause the game the menu buttons are super small. I have it on my normal resolution of 1920/1080. I'm guessing there are mods to fix this?

Glad to be back temporarily.
The years just fly past, don't they?

Rolling is A/D (left/right) and Spacebar (jump).  There is no sprint feature in BF1.
As far as the menus, I don't play in 1920/1080, so there may be someone who knows better.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on May 02, 2019, 06:44:06 AM
Rolling is A/D (left/right) and Spacebar (jump).  There is no sprint feature in BF1.
As far as the menus, I don't play in 1920/1080, so there may be someone who knows better.

Cheers, and I knew it had it somewhere. But thanks, I know the game released not long ago so I'm going to give it some time but it feels great to play on these old maps that I remember from my childhood!

Quote from: Syyy on May 02, 2019, 03:12:54 AM
I do not think multiplayer on steam will allow dedicated servers for the game, you may connect with other people by self hosting, but SWBFSpy remains the best alternative to host game servers for now.

e: Steam's way of solving the problem:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Not yet. But do not worry, they will take care not to disappoint the game's buyers... :shrug:
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

They've actually done it!  :o

Quote from: Luna on May 02, 2019, 06:39:31 AM
And, when I pause the game the menu buttons are super small. I have it on my normal resolution of 1920/1080. I'm guessing there are mods to fix this?
The menu buttons are small because 1080p is not an original resolution for the game. It's something I've learned to deal with in the game and I prefer it over the black bars on either side of the screen in the default resolutions on a widescreen monitor.
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

Quote from: Norwood on May 02, 2019, 07:13:47 AM
They've actually done it!  :o
The menu buttons are small because 1080p is not an original resolution for the game. It's something I've learned to deal with in the game and I prefer it over the black bars on either side of the screen in the default resolutions on a widescreen monitor.

Understood, thanks for clarifying, and yes I also prefer the 1080p resolution over annoying black bars.

Quote from: Luna on May 02, 2019, 07:35:35 AM
Understood, thanks for clarifying, and yes I also prefer the 1080p resolution over annoying black bars.

You can also play the game in Windowed Mode.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on May 02, 2019, 07:52:32 AM
You can also play the game in Windowed Mode.

How? I couldn't figure that out?

You can add /win to launch options for windowed mode and also add /nointro to skip loadup screens and go right to profile selection
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.