Hello SWBF Gamers & Mod masters

Started by BAD_AL, February 06, 2018, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new here.
I've been a SWBF2 game lover for several years now.
Mostly played on the Xbox and it's still my favorite version (for 4-player on the couch action!).
I'm over at Gametoast under the name 'cbadal' and I would like to help enable playing (and porting) SWBF2 mods across all the devices that support SWBF2 (PC, Xbox, PS2, PSP; most interested in Xbox though).

I am a Computer programmer by trade and have previously worked on Roster update tools for Tecmo Super Bowl and NFL2K5 (NFL2K5Tool is still a WIP) as hobby projects.

Over the last couple months I started learning about making SWBF2 maps and spent a good amount of effort figuring out how to get it running on the Xbox. I recently started writing a Lua 5.0.2 decompiler to help make porting mods easier. I'm not sure I'll be able to get it to be able to recover everything, but I've gotten the easy stuff out of the way at least :P 

You can see these projects over at github:
https://github.com/BAD-AL

Welcome to the forum! I'm the sure the Xbox community will love your work  :tu:
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

Welcome!

Cool stuff! I see you're using a lot of C#, so that's a huge plus!
I don't have XBox version of the game, but I have swbf, and xbox one, and the desire to run/write lots of code on everything electronic I own, so I'll be watching closely!

I am also interested in decompiling Lua (4.0 seems like a good target, since swbf1 uses that) so I can re-create close conditions to that of the original game in my own client: https://github.com/RepComm/swbf_web_client

I am not at that point in the development just yet, but it will come up before a release.

Glad to have you here!

Quote from: Ascertes on February 06, 2018, 01:20:38 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'm the sure the Xbox community will love your work  :tu:

Teancum is apparently reviving his Xbox project because of that tool. At least that's what I heard

Quote from: Jean on February 06, 2018, 10:52:08 PM
Teancum is apparently reviving his Xbox project because of that tool. At least that's what I heard

Yea, I started asking questions about building for Xbox over at gametoast and he'd answer my questions. I 'd post progress updates and I think he got interested from there. I'm pretty sure he had already decided to revive the Xbox project before he knew about the Lua Decompiler. But I was able to decompile a lot of what he needed (missionlist and mission files), so that does makes it easier.