Star Wars Battlefront II on Mac with WINE?

Started by Magic Liber, January 03, 2011, 08:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I know that there are a bunch of programs that allow someone to use PC applications on Macs, such as virtual PC and bootcamp, however, since virtual PC is simply an OS operating on top of an OS, it is way to slow to play a game.  I have heard of a program called WINE which works like it's tricking the software into thinking it's being run on a PC.  When the software requests data storage, RAM, and other things, WINE finds it for them, so the software remains "happy."  I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of this program before, and if so, would it work with a PC version of SWBF2?  And yes, I've checked, it's a perfectly legal program.
Drill Sergeant-Legends 1.0
Colonel-CIS
Junior Admin-Legends 2.0
Strategos-Battlefront Triumvirate
Commander-Legends 2.0
Free Agent

this seems interesting... I've found their site btw for all those interested

http://www.winehq.org/about/

Yes I have heard of this program.  The company also makes a program called "winebox" which creates a native app of the program (It runs the exe and creates a native app).  I have heard it works with many programs, however I have only been able to test it out with Mass Effect.  There were a few graphics issues but for the most part it worked perfectly.

Quote from: Magic Liber on January 03, 2011, 08:32:01 AM
So I know that there are a bunch of programs that allow someone to use PC applications on Macs, such as virtual PC and bootcamp, however, since virtual PC is simply an OS operating on top of an OS, it is way to slow to play a game.  I have heard of a program called WINE which works like it's tricking the software into thinking it's being run on a PC.  When the software requests data storage, RAM, and other things, WINE finds it for them, so the software remains "happy."  I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of this program before, and if so, would it work with a PC version of SWBF2?  And yes, I've checked, it's a perfectly legal program.

wine often screws up when rendering 3D graphics. Try this:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

it doesnt technically support swbf2 but i believe it will work. Download the trial and see for yourself.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

I have a working copy of Star Wars BAttlefront II on my laptop using a combination of Cider and WINE, proof that it will work. AG and I worked it out a couple years ago, with him doing most of the work. Talk to him about that. There used to be a whole tutorial to do it, but it was lost I think.