[WIP] Supplies Outpost

Started by Epifire, July 24, 2013, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I love the videos. It is a little beyond my XSI skillset at the moment (I get lost in the schematic views like the render tree,) but it definitely makes me want to start using Ultimapper.

Yeah it took careful study of which panels he was in and how he was using them for me to get anything out of it. As long as you know why your using different panels and settings it makes the world of a difference. I know I had to take a couple hours to figure it out and that was after I had seen the videos several times.
photobucket limit image removed

Trying some work with the new textures and seeing how it looks. This is a supplies bunker for the rebel base sections...

All ambient occlusion maps so there isn't any color to those textures. With the UV mapping done all I'd have to do is add all the details into the textures and copy over the old versions. Oh it's also 816 tris so I can still go ahead and add more detail on the inside and I'm still good.

The bulk of my unfinished textures I'm using on this...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Right on.
They really add depth to the model.
Without the color, those textures remind me of Stormtrooper greeble.

Well I did some final work to the UVs and this is how the thing should look...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

There of course will be additional work done to the baked textures it's using. The good thing is that when finished with all my gathering all my baked sources, I can knock them all out on the detail pass. This also allows for great consistency because all your detail work would be done at the same time.

On the other hand using the plain AO bakes aren't going to hurt my development cycle, because once they are assigned and the UVs are done they texture outline remains the same. So I don't have to worry about using fully finished textures since that can all be done later.

Hope this bit of info helps other people that may want to take on larger projects like this in the future.

August 14, 2013, 11:29:23 AM #20 Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:34:01 PM by Epifire
Annnd I got a watch tower I tossed together last night...

Should have a hallway joint prop that can attach to it. Still not sure how I'm going to integrate it into the map but one thing I know is that there will be two of these overlooking the back path to both bases. Snipers should get a kick out of using them too.

PS: Thanks Snake for moving my thread to the right part of the forum!

I think, if it's meant for sniping, the windows should be lowered about half a foot. The snipers will have to aim down.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I saw that actually. I scaled the tower down in size overall but it should only come a bit below the chest. It's not an entirely secure spot so it's less about hitting guys close to the tower as it's more about hitting ones farther away. It's built so that it's not too campy cause I for one hate all out sniping maps. Trying to get away from the Cloud City vibes cause I'm a more close range fighter myself.

Ah, good! I noticed in COD they do a great job of stopping sniper camping by making all good sniper spots have several entrances, so that they all can't be guarded. Just a thought.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

The main idea is that each tower will be in sorta symmetrical placement on both sides of the underground entrance. The map wont use a totally symmetrical design as the actual bases will be unique from there on, but the route to the Turret control center can't offer an upper hand to either side. If it did one faction would have a serious advantage over the other.

Generally you should be able to rush either watch tower and can lob grenades in there. It's not too big so a grenade anywhere in there should cook whomever is brave enough to remain inside.

August 24, 2013, 09:32:09 PM #25 Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:34:46 PM by Epifire
Next up is the main hub the Storage Facility. It will house a CP and will have an access bridge going out to the watch tower. Gonna likely make some other emplacements and buildings for the base on the Rebel's side so this isn't all...

It should sit with the back side of the building in a hill. As a matter of fact most the map should be sitting in a large excavation site. Or a quarry of sorts.

That will look very nice ingame. I look forward to this map!

Will this be a SWBFI exclusive map? Or will you port it to SWBFII after...

I have no plans to port to BF 2 but I'd be open to the option of getting help to do it. Naturally all the assets will be available to people when I get it finished so anyone can try to port it if they like. Gonna be a while though so for now I'm just concentrating on making a good map with solid assets. That storage facility is like the third version since I scrapped the prior ones. Really trying to take my time and do it right. The interior is a bit messy to me texture wise, but I've been getting a bit stingy with making more AO bakes since I know I will have more materials to finalize.

Are you using some reference material for this? The buildings are bang-on the Imperial aesthetic.

Quote from: UNIT33The buildings are bang-on the Imperial aesthetic.
And its not even colored!