Need a DC tester

Started by Led, December 09, 2014, 05:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
please join at

let me know if it works  :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Worked for me nicely. I honestly would've stayed to play, but I'm having connection problems on my own end.
I got connected to the server, so that much for sure I can say works.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Led on December 09, 2014, 06:01:37 PM
ok, thanks

No problem m8. Let me know if you need any more info
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

OK, a few PC's have joined.  I will leave it running for a couple of days, maybe some macs can try it  ;)

Yeah, works great. One thing I did notice is that my ping was about 30ms higher then usual but the "warp" or "teleporting" that I often get was not there at all. I wonder if it was just a coincidence, or if the DC option is a better connection wise. It will be so nice to have the Mac users return.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Carbon27 on December 09, 2014, 06:31:17 PM
Yeah, works great. One thing I did notice is that my ping was about 30ms higher then usual but the "warp" or "teleporting" that I often get was not there at all. I wonder if it was just a coincidence, or if the DC option is a better connection wise. It will be so nice to have the Mac users return.

I honestly think that DC connections are a lot better and more reliable. I mean, I'm no genius, but just the name "Direct" suggests that its more straight-forward
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I have had the same experience, with other games. The reason why a direct connection is not popular, at least in my mind, is that most people do not know the ip of a server, thus public servers have to be found in a different way. I'm curious to try this out on my PC. Thanks Led for proving me wrong! :D
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

Awesome, I'm so glad gamemaster team could add DC functionality. Any way you can host servers higher than 30 TPS using this method? Is there a way to host DC server at 40 or 60 TPS?

Quote from: Norwood on December 09, 2014, 06:40:11 PM
I have had the same experience, with other games. The reason why a direct connection is not popular, at least in my mind, is that most people do not know the ip of a server, thus public servers have to be found in a different way. I'm curious to try this out on my PC. Thanks Led for proving me wrong! :D

Very good point, Norwood. At this point the game could not, and will not survive another transition. Many of the more common members of the game are not active on the site (though they have a profile) For instance Drugrep, Bream, BigMatt, and many others. If we all of a sudden dumped the public server options then we may completely lose everyone. BUT if it is better, it should be used for tournaments.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

December 09, 2014, 07:09:15 PM #10 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:11:36 PM by Led
Quote from: Phobos on December 09, 2014, 06:52:48 PM
Awesome, I'm so glad gamemaster team could add DC functionality. Any way you can host servers higher than 30 TPS using this method? Is there a way to host DC server at 40 or 60 TPS?

As far as I know, DC's can only be hosted with the game disk, and I don't think the game disk supports higher TPS than 30.

If we had a way to use the dedicated server software to host by DC, that would be great, but I don't know how that would work.

And C27, your ping is probably a little different since my home server is in Alabama, and the regular PLA server is in Chicago.

DC's are good for special events, but I will not drop our regular internet servers*.

*any time soon (servers are paid for until May 2015)  :P