W.I.P. Tatooine: Raka's Quest (RPG/Quest Map)

Started by Breakdown, July 02, 2009, 07:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I honestly still need to do more planning for the first part of the mission,  but most of the missions/challenges for the imperial outpost level have been settled.

Also, I want some opinions from everyone, how long would you guys be willing to play a SWBF map? I don't want to make the RPG map to long to play, since without a save feature, if you had to leave, you'd have to start all over from the start next time you play. Yet I still want the map to be of an immersive length.

Just how long do you guys think is appropriate?

Keep in mind when considering this- its not a SWBF "Map" its a RPG Mod, its ment to be a story/game rather then a map you play.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

July 04, 2009, 04:25:42 AM #18 Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:33:30 AM by UNIT33
Yes, but you must also consider that you can't save progress,
so it shouldn't take too long to complete.
Perhaps splitting the game 'levels' in to separate maps?

I am always pleased to see new things tried (even if they are not in a game I play). Kudos!

I do not know how much scripting control you have, but even some very basic controls (like onobjectkill and basic variable manipulation) would let you implement a hackjob of a save function. If you've played around with any lua work at all, let me know and I will be happy to walk you through; I've done something similar before for one of my own maps.

July 05, 2009, 09:57:09 AM #20 Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:04:09 AM by Braeden
Thanks for the offer, Mav. I've never really played around with LUA files (everytime I have tried I ended up breaking something lol), but I am always out to try new things! I'll let you know if I need that walkthrough..;)

Also, I probably wouldn't have even gotten the idea for this map if I hadn't stumbled across your Rebel Ops: Aqualiris Deep Sea map for SWBF2. I thought "Hey, this is a really awesome idea, I think SWBF1 could have something like this too", and voila, here we are!

Anyway, I never thought any kind of scripting was possible in SWBF, but hey, I suppose if some simplee scripts would be used, a whole bunch of new options could be become availabe.

I doubt this, but is character interactions possible in any of the SWBF games? I sincerely doubt it, but it would be cool :P (by character interactions I mean stuff like walking up to local and "talking" like, when you walk up a dialouge box pops up, that'd reallllyy be stretching it but it's worth a shot, also stuff like picking up weapons etc.)

I do not know if any real mid-mission scripting can work for this game; looking over its stock .lua files; you only have a ScriptInit section. That appears to indicate that no changes can be made to the script while the mission is ongoing, which would preclude any sort of the things mentioned before. However, you can still (as it looks like you are already doing) do some pretty interesting stuff with procedurally (ZE) animated objects and destructible objects.

Sorry for little information (as I promised to give out everday), I have been away since Sunday, so I haven't had much time to work on this.

But, fortunately, I am here again :P I'll give you guys some more screenshots later

Things are coming along quite nicely, the main skeleton of the map is pretty much done (which is good, since my maps usually never leave the first part of the skeleton phase before I quit :P) Once I am done the main mission, I will do tweaking/adding detail to the map, and beggining to make side quests! The side quests will be optional to complete, it will not be part of the main mission, rather they will be something to do on the side with the chance of getting something good in return. :P

Anyway, I will try to put out as much screenshots as possible, but it will be hard to do without revealing how to complete certain stages of the map, I'll try my best though just to get screenshots of models and such.

-Breakdown

I guess you don't want to spoil all the fun then, eh?

Anyways, I'll be sure to try it out when it's done. Since I really enjoy your "skeleton" maps, I wonder what the outcome can be.

#TYBG

So the skeleton of the map is finished, which means that unless something very dire happens, this map will be finished! (yes, probably all of you are saying "BD, finishing a map?! Impossible!  :o" )

At the moment, the map does not take that long for me to complete (I already know what to do and how to complete tasks though, so a short time is expected), but I am sure with several additions to the map and side quests, the map should take an average of 30 minutes to complete. I'll only be happy if it takes me at least 20 minutes to finish, even if I know how to get through every obstacle and such, the bots still need lots of planning and working out, so once bot routes and such are finished, the map should take longer.

Some images of the final objective, the capital ship (nothing fancy, just SWBF2 assets, but I wantedto show you guys SOMEthing)

http://img208.imageshack.us/i/screenshot0112.jpg/
http://img256.imageshack.us/i/screenshot0111.jpg/

I'll be adding lots of other TIE Fighters for the imperials to ride around in, trying to block you from reaching the ship, so if you want to get to the final checkpoint easily, you better hope you're an expert pilot ;)

More screenshots later today for Raka's skin!

Really cool, BD. I've always wanted to fly into a capitol ship from the ground. :cheer:

Definitely looking forward to this coming out.

July 10, 2009, 12:29:05 PM #26 Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:27:29 AM by Braeden
Thanks, I've sort of tried to make that effect of ground to space battles, of course with the sky it doesn't really work too well, unless I made it nighttime.

But, glad to see you are looking forward to it :)

*EDIT: please look at this topic, contest to deisgn Raka's face! http://www.mpcgamers.com/smf/index.php?topic=691.0*

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6677/sandtrooperrr.jpg

There is a picture of a Sand Trooper in progress

I don't much about this Raka person so I have no ideas for the face...

#TYBG

Looks very nice but that's not a good place to put the rancor. It would be challenging if in front of the entrance :evil:

#TYBG