Could Battlefront be ported to other systems?

Started by Giftheck, July 26, 2014, 09:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So, this thought entered my head recently. See, I have an Archos Gamepad 2, and it'd be awesome to be able to play SWBF on the go (and not least because it actually has enough buttons and joysticks to be able to actually play SWBF). But could it be ported? And to what other systems? Just asking for your two cents on this.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

With source code, I suspect it could be done. 

Without it, the target device would need to run windows exe files or the old Mac Aspyr version.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Of course. This is all hypothetical. What I mean is could an Android system take it?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

It would depend on the version of Android but the newer versions should be able to handle it, it also depends on your phone and what it can handle.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

July 26, 2014, 11:41:02 AM #4 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:43:43 AM by ggctuk2005
Well, I wouldn't discount the possibility of a source port, but it's a slim, slim chance. The source still exists and there are other games that have been ported to Android and iOS where the source code was in the hands of somebody who wasn't actually affiliated with the developer. Plus, I think modding would be out the window, at least in the way we know it.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on July 26, 2014, 11:38:45 AM
It would depend on the version of Android but the newer versions should be able to handle it, it also depends on your phone and what it can handle.

That's not even relevant. The real problem is getting access to the source code.

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on July 26, 2014, 11:46:26 AM
That's not even relevant. The real problem is getting access to the source code.

Exactly. Or getting it into the hands of the people who can port it.
In Progress:

On Hold:

I heard somewhere that you can just decompile the original executable and get source code from it.. Which I'm sure isn't exactly legal, but I doubt it's any more legal than giving away from actual source code, that you're studio made a long time ago, for free.

If you're referring to psych0fred, then I haven't even posed this question to him. I am guessing his attitude might be different if it were something that could essentially be officially sanctioned.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on July 26, 2014, 11:57:13 AM
I heard somewhere that you can just decompile the original executable and get source code from it.. Which I'm sure isn't exactly legal, but I doubt it's any more legal than giving away from actual source code, that you're studio made a long time ago, for free.

One does not just "decompile source code".

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on July 26, 2014, 12:13:31 PM

Correct or we'd have done that ages ago. Even if we did it, there would be none of the comments developers leave in the original source that notes what each funtion might do.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: aeria. on July 26, 2014, 12:13:31 PM
Thats what I thought too, but apparently it's been done to SWBFII? I was talking to a player named Sketchup who was talking about all kinds of crazy stuff I didn't think were possible, that was one of them.

Just throwing it out there incase it was a possibility.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on July 26, 2014, 04:31:25 PM
Thats what I thought too, but apparently it's been done to SWBFII? I was talking to a player named Sketchup who was talking about all kinds of crazy stuff I didn't think were possible, that was one of them.

Just throwing it out there incase it was a possibility.
Got me interested, stumbled upon this little SourceForge project: http://boomerang.sourceforge.net/

Apparently it decompiles exes and spits out a source file. Just an idea, might not be what you're looking for though.

There are decompilers, and I have tried one on SWBF but didn't get anything worthwhile out of it.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Decompiled code would still be pretty useless without the comments telling us what does what. It's been pretty much confirmed that we won't get public source. However I won't discourage anybody who wants to try.
In Progress:

On Hold: