Good News--Backup Master Server now available

Started by Led, January 06, 2018, 06:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi SWBFgamers,

You may or may not know, but when Kalle set up the Gamemaster master server with JediKiller, I did not have the technical knowledge to participate in the setup and was had no way to set up the software again if the MS completely crashed.  We have been without a safety net for the past two years.

However, I recently had a breakthrough with mysql databases in linux and I have been able to set up a second, separate MS.  There are some implications of this:

• if anything happens to the current MS, I can put up a backup in a few hours time

• I have a backup MS running at home now, and I can clone the MS.  If usage drops too low to justify paying for a rental server, I can just host it from my home.

• The backup MS can serve as a testbed.  I am willing to open up the backup MS for knowledgeable modders/programmers in good standing at SWBFgamers.com to explore how to add features.  Leaderboards can be made available by someone with the right knowledge and experience.

There are still some things that I do not know how to do yet, such as add new keys to the database for other games, but we can explore these options now that we have a testbed to work with.

While I am no stranger to programming, I have learned a lot over past couple of years from domain registration, internet records setup, DNS setup, IIS setup, linux setup, and now a little mysql.

:cheers:

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Woot woot!  :cheers:

QuoteThe backup MS can serve as a testbed.  I am willing to open up the backup MS for knowledgeable modders/programmers in good standing at SWBFgamers.com to explore how to add features.  Leaderboards can be made available by someone with the right knowledge and experience.

I've been thinking pretty seriously about porting the code to c# or even node js (or both, just for fun) to get a clearer understanding of how it works. What better way to learn than to step through line by line?

I am going to try and get my own rented server in the near future for testing of my other projects (networking is so much fun) also, so I'll probably come to you for help if I get stuck! The cheapest I've found is 89usd/yr for a virtual dedicated server, which is a lot cheaper in comparison to the 119usd I just forrked out for my website upkeep this year, and I don't get to run any of my code on that server ..

That's cool,

I'm always looking for collaboration to push things forward, I always wanted to support Titan Quest

I did a post for you about  >> how to add new keys here << - glad to help out with any details you need clarifying