What about /tps 50 and /tps 60?

Started by Auggie, August 06, 2016, 06:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Would a 50tps or 60tps server be playable? Is there a player limit before it becomes unplayable like how Andyer said that after 32 players, a 40tps server becomes unplayable? Or would 50/60tps server be unplayable regardless of player count.

I see that the TWD server is 60tps, so can a normal server do it?

try it and see if you like it.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

It set up a server with 60tps, and it seemed to work fine. But why aren't all servers 60tps then?

August 06, 2016, 08:49:30 PM #3 Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:49:06 AM by Phobos
Quote from: Auggie on August 06, 2016, 06:23:50 PM
Would a 50tps or 60tps server be playable? Is there a player limit before it becomes unplayable like how Andyer said that after 32 players, a 40tps server becomes unplayable? Or would 50/60tps server be unplayable regardless of player count.

I see that the TWD server is 60tps, so can a normal server do it?
Quote from: Auggie on August 06, 2016, 08:45:01 PM
It set up a server with 60tps, and it seemed to work fine. But why aren't all servers 60tps then?
60tps is about the highest you can run a server without having players lag in game (though I was able to host 90tps before it lagged). Generally 30tps is stable for up to 50 players. These are rough estimates but 40tps should be stable up to 32 players, 50tps and 60tps should support anywhere from 4-16 players. It mostly depends on the internet connection and hardware of the server/client machines. If the players don't have at least 60FPS in a 60TPS server they would lag so much it becomes unplayable. I play with /noframelock to unlock the framerate and use bandicam to lock it at 180FPS. This helps a lot over playing at 30FPS.

Some Pros and Cons of Higher Tickrate:
- More shots register for damage
- Movement is smoother and responds to input faster
- Weapons can be switched faster
- AI seem stronger in higher TPS
- Pings are a bit lower in 50/60TPS than 30TPS, TheGangstar had ~120 ping in TWD
- Mines are easiest to throw directly up at 30TPS, still can be thrown forward easily at higher TPS
- Graphic glitches easier to happen especially at uncapped framerates (aka Spiking)
- Requires better graphics card so if you don't have 60FPS on most maps with /noframelock, 60TPS servers would be unplayable

I find that for most public servers 40tps is about right. Not all players have stable connection so if you're over 200 ping then lower TPS might be better. TWD server uses 60tps for the most accurate melee hit registration and lowest ping. It is also the only server up currently that supports controller autoaim. For more information on tickrate check these threads
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=9777
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=1202

Quote from: Auggie on August 23, 2016, 08:32:12 PM
Earlier today, I was playing on my 40tps GameRanger server (Don't worry, I haven't given up on SWBF2 SWBFSpy at all. Playing on GR has made me realize how horrible the software really is.) with about 20-30 players on it, and I noticed that the hit registry was HORRIBLE. At times, I could run up behind a guy and shoot him in the back with a shotgun at point blank range, and it wouldn't do any damage at all. Those were extreme cases though. Most of the time, I would shoot a guy with a shotgun and it'd only do maybe 0-25% of his health per shot. And no, it's not lag. I had an 80-85ms ping and very smooth-looking player movements the entire time. I know this is bad hit registry because earlier, I was 1v1ing a guy on my server (only 2 players on it) and even at medium ranges, I could 1-shot him with the shotgun. I could even 1-shot him in the air when he was using the Dark Trooper!

My theory is that past maybe 5-10 players, the hit registry of a 40tps server starts to become worse than 30tps, which is obviously what it was designed to run at. Sure, 40tps is STABLE at way past 5-10 players, but I think the hit registry starts to drop off.

Before I compare 40tps to 30tps, and subject my players to even worse hit registry, I wanted you guys' opinions. Does this even make sense? Can a higher than supported tick rate such as 40tps actually cause worse hit registry at higher player counts? Or is this just the result of SWBF2's poor net-code?

In SWBF1 this should not be the case except if their pings are over 200. Since the SWBF1 is designed to run at anywhere from 15 to 60 TPS the hit registry should be as consistent as the server is stable, especially if using /waitlate. Higher tickrate should always improve the hit count as long as the server and all clients can maintain the proper framerates and CPU cycles. The problem with higher tickrates is that smaller instances of lag can result in greater discrepancies.

@Phobos Very informative, thank you.

August 28, 2016, 04:00:13 PM #5 Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:04:26 PM by Auggie
What about for SWBF2? What's the maximum player count that a 40tps SWBF2 server is stable at ("stable" = hit detection is still better than 30tps)?

on my lan/online server i use /noframelock

Quote from: Auggie on August 28, 2016, 04:00:13 PM
What about for SWBF2? What's the maximum player count that a 40tps SWBF2 server is stable at ("stable" = hit detection is still better than 30tps)?
I'm not sure since I don't play SWBF2 but Anyder says 40tps is stable up to ~14 players. Adding /waitlate should help even more to improve hit detection for players with higher ping.

Does anyone agree/disagree with 14 players being the limit for 40 tps?

Quote from: Auggie on August 28, 2016, 06:48:25 PM
Does anyone agree/disagree with 14 players being the limit for 40 tps?

Best to try it.  You can always adjust it.  If they all live close to the server location, then you could get more in at 40 TPS.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

@Phobos What does /waitlate do exactly? I know it has something to do with forcing players with low ping to "wait" for players with high ping in order to be more balanced. I have no idea what this means though. This sounds like it makes the experience worse for players with low ping. Is this true? Can you shed some light on this?