Gamespy Internet option now disabled permanently

Started by Led, November 13, 2012, 05:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi SWBFgamers,

LucasArts has told Gamespy to shut off the internet server connections for hosting Internet and Direct Connection servers.  11/7/2012 was the end of the line, after eight years.  Many of us are disappointed, frustrated, and angry.  These are all normal reactions.

That said, this day would have come at some time.  Maybe we even delayed it for a while without knowing.  So, let's get through our grieving process and come to the acceptance that if we want to play this game with our friends, we need to use our last option, the LAN server.

We have solutions in GameRanger and Tunngle.  Each have advantages and disadvantages.  Install them both, and try to get them to work.  Not everyone is able to have both work.  GameRanger is best for players (easiest to install properly) and Tunngle is best for hosts (more complicated but supports dedicated server software).

I find SWBF the most fun with a lot of people.  We will lose many of our non-connected players, and for that I am sad that there was no notice.  Weeknights will slow down, but keep a some time open on Friday nights and Saturdays for playing SWBF.

I am committed to the website until 2024.  If you are here, you will always have friends to play SWBF with you.

Long Live SWBF!
Long Live SWBFgamers.com.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I will miss swbf, I had some friends that I made that where not on this site. One was a TCE member. His name was matt. If anyone can somehow talk to him, tell him to join this site. All my swbf buddies where in cut, the leader said they where getting a site. If anyone knows the site PLEASE MAKE LINK!! If I cant get to any of my friends this will be my goodbye!  :bye: :'(

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

November 13, 2012, 06:40:46 AM #2 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:02:08 AM by {Alpha}Gold Man
I too hate this. I'm thinking my best bet will probably be to start playing SWBF2, rather than download Tunngle, as I've heard many issues with it, and not GameRanger either, as I've heard there's a laggy framerate with it. So, I will still remain active on the site, just might not see me on SWBF at all now. :(

Farewell SWBF! :'(

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on November 13, 2012, 06:40:46 AM
I too hate this. I'm thinking my best bet will probably be to start playing SWBF2, rather than download Tunngle, as I've heard many issues with it, and not GameRanger either, as I've heard there's a laggy framerate with it. So, I will still remain active on the site, just might not see me on SWBF at all now. :(

Farewell SWBF!

Whatever man.  You "hear" what you want to hear.  Have you tried my GR server?  It is set for 30 ticks per second to give you 30 FPS just like the NFO hosted PLA servers.  If you don't want to bother with the other options, that is fine, but I will point out that it does harm to the other interested players to spread false information.

November 13, 2012, 06:49:08 AM #4 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:52:45 AM by Phobos
I think the alien wars era project will be permanently abandoned unless MP is restored.

still cant believe lucasarts would go and kill their online community for game of the year for 2004 one of their best selling titles ever. guess this is what happens when you sell out to disney.

Quote from: Buckler on November 13, 2012, 06:45:01 AM
Whatever man.  You "hear" what you want to hear.  Have you tried my GR server?  It is set for 30 ticks per second to give you 30 FPS just like the NFO hosted PLA servers.  If you don't want to bother with the other options, that is fine, but I will point out that it does harm to the other interested players to spread false information.

Well, I suppose I MIGHT get Tunngle or GameRanger one day. Just curios, which has more players on it, GameRanger, or Tunngle? 

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on November 13, 2012, 07:01:51 AM
Well, I suppose I MIGHT get Tunngle or GameRanger one day. Just curios, which has more players on it, GameRanger, or Tunngle?

It will depend.  Many people have gotten Tunngle to work, but some can't get it to work for them.  I will support both with my servers.

Refer to the home page--Friday night GR, Saturday Tunngle.

November 13, 2012, 09:45:35 AM #8 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 09:51:05 AM by Droideka
Led, I am amazed at your dedication to the SWBF community, and I have to thank you for all you've done. This community will continue to survive and produce great modding content, and it will be a great place for SWBF players to talk to each other. Here's to another 12 years of SWBF   :cheers:
Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on November 13, 2012, 06:40:46 AM
I too hate this. I'm thinking my best bet will probably be to start playing SWBF2, rather than download Tunngle, as I've heard many issues with it, and not GameRanger either, as I've heard there's a laggy frame rate with it. So, I will still remain active on the site, just might not see me on SWBF at all now. :(

Farewell SWBF! :'(
I played on the PLA Cloud City server last night, and the game play was just as smooth as it was when the master server was up. The only issue with Tunngle is that some people have adapter issues, and that is why we're also having Gameranger nights to accommodate everybody. If you feel like SWBF2 is your best option go for it, but I'm just saying that SWBF1 is still very playable online. Also, I will probably be on SWBF2 a bit so you may see me there  :cheers:
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

November 13, 2012, 12:02:02 PM #9 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:13:13 PM by Buckler
Quote from: Josh on November 13, 2012, 11:57:06 AM
Heres my idea.  edit by Buckler:  deleted.  Doing or saying bad things to a company never helps anything.  Drop the Gamespy/LucasArts/Disney bashing over this SWBF issue please, or take it to another website.
Please do not do this or tell anyone to do this.

Aww man. I just came back about a month ago too. This really blows. I have Tunngle working just fine but I'll invest in GameRanger so I can play with people who are not able to play via Tunngle.

Quote from: Sereja on November 13, 2012, 08:04:12 AM
It reminds me profecy, maded by Kit Fisto:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=1ea17f0502578eeef215ff4e3ff5711f&topic=5289.0
HAHA! I rememeber making that poll!  :)
Well, now is the time modders stop playing online and make GREAT mods!!!!
Quote from: Phobos on November 13, 2012, 06:49:08 AM
I think the alien wars era project will be permanently abandoned unless MP is restored.
Why?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting LucasArts Technical Support

We are sorry to inform you that LucasArts' sponsored online server availability for Star Wars: Battlefront (PC) has reached end-of-life with GameSpy and has been retired at this time. Please note that users can still create multiplayer games using the additional Multiplayer options found in the game (LAN). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

-LucasArts Staff

Quote from: {Alpha}Pvt.Neon{AK} on November 13, 2012, 05:18:42 PM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting LucasArts Technical Support

We are sorry to inform you that LucasArts' sponsored online server availability for Star Wars: Battlefront (PC) has reached end-of-life with GameSpy and has been retired at this time. Please note that users can still create multiplayer games using the additional Multiplayer options found in the game (LAN). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

-LucasArts Staff

final nail in the coffin, unless we can find a way to redirect to a new master server.