New Kind of Map: Rhen Var: Ridge

Started by owenbritton, September 13, 2010, 10:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 13, 2010, 10:38:08 PM Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:09:31 PM by owenbritton
Hi I'm Aries or Owen, Whichever you prefer.
I have played battlefront for ages, but regrettably never tried to learn to mod or make maps.
A few days ago I was struck with the idea for this map, (which I will get to in a moment) and courageously set out to make the it the next day. I ran into a giant brick wall of bad mod tools. I can't get them to work and I'm told I need to make a dual boot with an older OS to even consider doing this.....and then I have to learn to do it too.
Needless to say, I thought it might be better to put this idea  to the pros before I start banging my head against the wall.

I am looking for consults on whether my ideas are workable or if they need tweaking and also a talented mapper to make this thing happen.

I think it's an awesome idea and if you do too you should make it. :-)

So without further ado:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhen Var: Ridge is a 5-CP "Push" style map based (sort of) on the TF2 map "Badlands". With a roughly linear, symmetric design that requires players to capture CP's in a specific order, the map breaks the mold of SWBF maps, which generally feature a roughly square design.

Both teams start at the ends of the maps and push forwards, emerging from their respective "chokes" at the same time and fighting for the middle CP.

The Middle point is in the center of a long, wide bridge over a deep chasm. There are two long, low boxes (can be skinned into w/e) in the middle of the bridge on each teams side. Players can jump up on to these boxes and frag out or run along the sides of them for cover. 

After the initial mid fight, one team will be pushed back to their second cp, located close to the middle, and will have to
try to fight thier way back.

Each team's second CP (symmetrical map) is a crumbling platform riddled with holes, which can be perilous to the unwary player. There is a small footbridge that connects the second CP's to mid, along with a wide stairwell.
Players coming from mid to the second can jump off the midbridge onto the second CP.

If a team loses it's second CP they will be pushed back across a footbridge to their "last"

The approach for the attackers to CP1 is a rocky hill, steep enough to cause issues for the over zealous player who overextends. Once passing through an entrance flanked by a pair of hooded temple guardians, they will be met by dug in  defenders on the battlements behind the CP. Proxy spawn points and a small capture zone mean that utter domination is required to cap this last CP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a detailed drawing of my concept and it contains more detailed information such as spawn points and rough dimensions, so for those who are interested please take a look http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11454839/Badlands.sdr
You will need a program called "Smart Draw" which you can get a free trial of here.
http://www.smartdraw.com/downloads/

Please post your thoughts on the feasability and merit of my ideas.
Those interested should contact me.

xfire: ogcaries
steam: Owenbritton
Email: owenmbritton@gmail.com

Here are some screen caps of portions of that drawing

This is an awesome idea! Idk how to make mod maps, if I did and was good at it, I qould give it a shot. Keep the great ideas coming!

I'll be upset if no one makes this. spent hours on the drawing lol

Quote from: owenbritton on September 17, 2010, 11:34:16 AM
I'll be upset if no one makes this. spent hours on the drawing lol

There aren't too many people left who make maps. You should emphasize the PAID portion of your first post- that got me considering coming back out of retirement!

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

I really like the idea and I think it works pretty well for a Rhen Var map, especially the bridge over the chasm. I hope somebody decides to make this  :cheers:
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

i'd be willing to do this for the 40 bucks.