Hosting SWBF with PC Dedicated Server Software (and Invincibility/Historical)

Started by Led, December 24, 2009, 12:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Alternatively, for better managing the server and automatic map distribution, look here.

I had the hardest time getting my server to show up in the server browser. So, here's what I had to do. I HAD to edit my hosts file in order for it to work. And I'm using the modified battlefront.exe file for GameMaster, but I don't think that part is necessary. So just follow the instructions for editing your host file here: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=7840.0 and then start up your server and it should show up in the server browser. You have to start your game first before the server or else it won't let you start your game. I guess you can only have 1 instance of battlefront.exe running, no idea why. For me, I have to run the server as an administrator in order for it to see my .ini file, if I don't, it just runs default settings and doesn't read the .ini file. Instead of "/tps 30" I set mine to "/tps 60" for true PC gaming 60FPS quality. Hope this can help someone.

Quote from: aidenator on January 24, 2016, 07:41:17 PM
I had the hardest time getting my server to show up in the server browser. So, here's what I had to do. I HAD to edit my hosts file in order for it to work. And I'm using the modified battlefront.exe file for GameMaster, but I don't think that part is necessary.

There were some IP address changes to the Gamemaster master browser that are reflected in the hosts file edit, but are probably not updated in the exe file for the dedicater server.  Note also that you still need to do proper portforwarding if your server is behind a firewall/router.

I will try to update the dedicated server exe when I get the chance--thanks for bringing it to our attention.   :cheers:

Edit:  Phobos has updated the exe file for the server.  It is available here:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=10210.0
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on December 24, 2009, 12:44:47 PM
Hosting Mod Maps with the Dedicated Server Software
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You need two things to host a mod map:
1) the mod map, and
2) a file called mapinfo.txt for each map (if you use the GUI).

If you want to host a mod-map using the dedicated server software,
you will need to place the map folder in the Addon Folder of the
*server* software.  If you are using the 1.2 deicated server software,
there will already be a folder located in the Addon Folder call Tat3.

Tat3 is Jabba's Palace, which is a map that was released with upgrade
1.2 of the software.

The mapinfo.txt must reside inside of the mod map folder, or else the
GUI will not be able to recognize that the map is to be loaded into
the GUI.

Here is the file from Tat3:
CW,TATOOINE: JABBA CW,tat3c,CIS,republic,200,200
GCW,TATOOINE: JABBA GCW,tat3a,alliance,imperial,200,200

The format of the file is:
ERA, TEXT NAME what ever you want, mapname-with-faction-extension, faction1, faction2, tickets1, tickets2

The mapname is very important to get correct.  The folder is called tat3,
and the extension "c" is usually for CW era and the "a" is usually for the GCW era. However, some maps don't use this designation, and there is no way to know for sure if the mod map maker followed these conventions.  (Although you may try looking in the addme.script file to get some clues.)

Therefore, some maps can not be hosted using the dedicated server software, and instead must be hosting using the game disk method, which does not require the mapinfo.txt file.

Alright so I installed a map that used all the normal SWBF assets and it worked fine on my dedicated server. FYI it's Bespin Platforms 2. Then I tried a map (Coruscant: City) with different assets and textures than vanilla SWBF and it crashed the server. I know it's possible to host a modmap server with different assets than normal SWBF because I tried it w/o a dedicated server a few years back and it worked fine. Or is this even the problem at all? It seems all maps deviating from vanilla swbf assets crash the dedicated server platform.

I'm insistent on using the dedicated server platform so I dont get that choppy 20 or 30 fps while playing with friends.

City has never worked for me with the dedicated software.  I don't know why.  Most other mod maps will work though.

If the FPS is an issue, you can also use the player command /noframelock.  Use the search function option for the site (or use Google) on that term to learn how to apply it.    It will uncap the player FPS.

Quote from: Led on May 23, 2017, 06:29:18 AM
City has never worked for me with the dedicated software.  I don't know why.  Most other mod maps will work though.

If the FPS is an issue, you can also use the player command /noframelock.  Use the search function option for the site (or use Google) on that term to learn how to apply it.    It will uncap the player FPS.

All maps by Seraja's crashes in multiplayer too.

Quote from: Aradam☑ on May 23, 2017, 11:05:04 AM
All maps by Seraja's crashes in multiplayer too.

But Curscant: City works with disk.

Sereja's maps don't work with disk or dedicated server software, unless you use the reduced graphics sides.

Okay so Quick question can someone make a video tutorial on this for some reason I don't understand somethings well with out video

I tried setting up a dedi server and I think it was running but could not find it online.

how do you figure out how you should go about getting the information to make the mapinfo text for a modmap that doesn't have one? for example if you come across a map called RLcT: Beachhead (Which can be found on www.swbfgamers.com least it could last I checked.)

((This is for Led: Would I be able to add some random maps and mods I came across long time ago to this website? (I can no longer find them online, and it would be sad if my hard drive dies again and for all of them to be permanently lost, of course I can show you any files before uploaded if you wanted.) I don't believe they are on the website and some of them I couldn't find any reference to contact anyone or who made the map in the Read Me file.))

Oh I just thought of this the guide above says there are updates: where exactly can I  find that on the site that might be part of my problem

And last of all on my computer the command section as like stated above that you can edit for like no aim assist and stuff how would I go about editing that as it is basically off my screen and I couldn't resize the window and not only that but it seemed that I couldn't edit it or type anything either as in when I clicked on it I didn't see a typing curser appear

Can anyone help with this? Id much appreciate it thanks!

Quote from: Samistheone on September 24, 2017, 02:20:43 PM
Okay so Quick question can someone make a video tutorial on this for some reason I don't understand somethings well with out video

I tried setting up a dedi server and I think it was running but could not find it online.

how do you figure out how you should go about getting the information to make the mapinfo text for a modmap that doesn't have one? for example if you come across a map called RLcT: Beachhead (Which can be found on www.swbfgamers.com least it could last I checked.)

Oh I just thought of this the guide above says there are updates: where exactly can I  find that on the site that might be part of my problem

And last of all on my computer the command section as like stated above that you can edit for like no aim assist and stuff how would I go about editing that as it is basically off my screen and I couldn't resize the window and not only that but it seemed that I couldn't edit it or type anything either as in when I clicked on it I didn't see a typing curser appear

Can anyone help with this? Id much appreciate it thanks!
I'm not sure what you are actually asking for, so let's see if I got this right.

1) Attached what I think that it is that u seek.

2) U can edit it on either a .bat file or the server software .ini file "APP_COMMAND_LINE_BASIC=/win /norender /autonet dedicated /resolution 320 240 /nosound "

As for just hosting a normal gameserver, ure gonna need to follow this tutorial Led wrote at the beginning of the thread. If u get stuck at any point lemme know.

Quote from: Samistheone on September 24, 2017, 02:20:43 PM
((This is for Led: Would I be able to add some random maps and mods I came across long time ago to this website? (I can no longer find them online, and it would be sad if my hard drive dies again and for all of them to be permanently lost, of course I can show you any files before uploaded if you wanted.) I don't believe they are on the website and some of them I couldn't find any reference to contact anyone or who made the map in the Read Me file.))
I think u'd need the mod-owners' respective approval to upload them first.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

is there an update I need to get for the dedi server to work on swbfspy?

And yes I guess i'm stuck if you want i'll let you screen share to help me figure out what it is i'll type in blank page if theres anything else I think of at the time or message through discord or steam

also I forget is there a program I need to get to edit .bat files?

(Heck I should probably just rent a server but the thing about that is I currently don't have enough money for that kind of thing.)

Quote from: Samistheone on September 25, 2017, 11:55:00 AM
is there an update I need to get for the dedi server to work on swbfspy?

And yes I guess i'm stuck if you want i'll let you screen share to help me figure out what it is i'll type in blank page if theres anything else I think of at the time or message through discord or steam

also I forget is there a program I need to get to edit .bat files?

(Heck I should probably just rent a server but the thing about that is I currently don't have enough money for that kind of thing.)
Ah, contact me on steam whenever u're online on Steam
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Just to be sure, are we talking about SWBF1 or SWBF2 ?

You will need to set up port forwarding.  That means you need to access your router at home.  Find your user name and password, and confirm that you see a section called port forwarding.

You will need to find the LAN address of your hosting computer.

Install the original dedicated server software and patch it for SWBFspy.  Or use the disk method with a patch.

re-read my first post again to make sure you understand it all.  You will not need to use batch files if using the GUI.

Yes swbf1 and the problem I am also coming in to is the router isn't mine haha its my dads and I have no clue how to work it or what any of the passwords are and he doesn't want me to change anything because hes afraid someone will come in and hack everything badly

In fact i'm not sure that we have just one router.... though I have a separate one I found for free after a garage sale and I was wondering would it work to hook a cable from the other system to that router and from there hook it up to my computer would that bypass my issues?

I should add i'm not that good of understanding things that are written since I am literally a visual learner I took a class where most of the stuff was on video and I didn't study anything but I basically got the exam 100% correct just because I remembered everything from the videos see for somethings my mind is like a steal trap haha

So things like written explained documents on how to make and work things don't always work for me and that is actually one of my disabilities

To be very direct, if you can't access your family's router to set up port forwarding, then Game Ranger is your best bet.

Is there a guide to putting up a dedicated server for Steam on a virtual host site? I'm looking to do this.