Has anyone figured out chrome (reflective metal) textures for SWBF1?

Started by Idren, February 17, 2017, 12:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Has anyone figured a way to make a chrome-like texture for SWBF1?

I thought I saw one of sereja's models (a Naboo Starfighter in a WIP somewhere) that had a chrome looking underside, I'd love to be able to add some chrome (or a nice fake chrome) to the game - a re-skin / model for a captain phasma troop would be pretty cool.  ;)

We know chrome effect from very long time however if you dont have XSI 7.5+ZETOOLS it will be quite a trick.The other method without XSI is to open your msh model with MEshtool V4.Download it from Gametoast.If you cant maybe we can release it here for peopel who cannot enter gametoast.When you download it there is a text file with the tool that is explaining how to add chrome.Its simple.

Quote from: Ginev on February 17, 2017, 02:03:07 AM
We know chrome effect from very long time however if you dont have XSI 7.5+ZETOOLS it will be quite a trick.The other method without XSI is to open your msh model with MEshtool V4.Download it from Gametoast.If you cant maybe we can release it here for peopel who cannot enter gametoast.When you download it there is a text file with the tool that is explaining how to add chrome.Its simple.

I've got XSI and the ZETOOLS, I'm having trouble getting started with navigating the program though.  (I'm too used to 3dsMax and all the hotkeys/controls are so different) Are the XSI Materials directly exportable to msh? (i.e. a raytraced material?) I'm sure BF1 probably doesn't like raytracing though - so what's the method for adding a chrome texture in XSI?

EDIT: EDIT after i posted this whole message:OMG i am so stupid.I checked the name of the topic.Chrome do not work for Battlefront 1.Sorry if you are modding Battlefront 1 better dont lose your time reading the rest.Sorry  :slap:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You just texture your model in 3ds max as usual.Then it will be nice to export it to obj.Have in mind obj do not keep animations or any sort of rigs.If you want to animate character you have to do it in XSI so after that the exporter to recognize bones and everything else.So you export your prop/weapon/building whatever model to obj.Import it in XSI 7.5.
Click ZETOOLS/Manage Materials.From there a little window will appear.Click on the material you want to add effect.The on the rifht click Zeify then Edit.Another window will appear.Scroll down to the bottom ofthat window.If you dont see the bottom extend the window a little.You will see somewhere on the bottom this:

RenderType:

So there you have to put a number from 1 to 24 i believe they are.Every number is a different effect.
In our case chrome reflection is 6.

RenderType:6
Do not check specular in the upper box.Chrome have his own reflection.
Then look a little more up.You will see this:

Texture 1
Texture 2
Texture 3

This slots are for adding textures for the material.
In slot 1 you can add normal map or bump map(grayscale) textures.

Example:
Texture 1:Bricks.tga        (with .tga extension on the end)
Texture 2 for chrome leave empty.
Texture3:  here you have to add a cubemap texture.This is the actuall reflection of the whole effect

The texture must be with specific size.
You can find example in Battlefront 2 assets:
Find this texture in:
Mod_Tools\assets\sides\all\msh\helmet_envmap.tga

You can change the texture to something else if you want but keep the size.
Have in mind that the helmet_envmap.tga.option file is also important.This 2 files must be always together.
You can change the names if you want but keep it _envmap on the end.I think its important.

So thats all.
Close all the windows in XSI and then click again ZETOOLS and this time go to export and export your model as usual.
I hope i helped you.If there is something let me know.