Best 3-D Modeling programs for Battlefront?

Started by swgaming1015, February 02, 2017, 06:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've heard that it's possible to make props for the Battlefront games in programs other than XSI. I know XSI is required to export to MSH but when it comes to creating the 3-D models themselves what's the best program to use? These seem to be popular choices:

XSI
Blender
3-D Wings
Sketchup
Maya

To be honest with all programs you can make models as far you know how to use them.My personal choice was Wings3d.I think its the most simple from all of them.

Just use XSI, you won't have to install hundreds of software and plugins, I really like how the things are done with this software, if you want something else, choose Blender  ;)
"When will you fools learn? No one escapes Commander Fox"
—Fox, after apprehending another criminal

https://media.giphy.com/media/2GjgvS5vA6y08/giphy.gif

I personally use Metasequoia for modelling, export them to a grouped obj file, and import them into Softimage Mod Tool.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Quote from: Cdt Fox on February 02, 2017, 09:57:08 AM
Just use XSI, you won't have to install hundreds of software and plugins, I really like how the things are done with this software, if you want something else, choose Blender  ;)
Uh... you still need plugins for XSI.

I'm using Autodesk 3ds Max - it exports to .vrml and then I'm using the msh viewer to convert from .vrml to .msh, and its been working out so far! :)

It's available for free for students (if you have a .edu email address) for a 3 year limited license (you can't use it for profit) - and it has a LOT of great tutorials built in that I find easier to follow than the XSI tutorials I've seen.

That is good however the problem is that you cannot add Collision and lowrez model to your main model.Maybe in future it will be best to get and XSI 7.5 with the ZETOOLS.

Quote from: Ginev on February 17, 2017, 01:58:32 AM
That is good however the problem is that you cannot add Collision and lowrez model to your main model.Maybe in future it will be best to get and XSI 7.5 with the ZETOOLS.

What exactly does a model not having collision mean? Does it mean that the model is not solid in-game? Also are lowrez textures necessary? I've used character models that don't come with a lowrez texture and they seem to work fine.

Collision mean that without a proper collision model for your main highrez model Battlefront 1 sometime finds it hard producing proper collision out of the main highrez model so sometime your models if are more detailed and complex will have collision issues which mean you can walk through them.That is bad.By adding collision model you are preventing that from happening.About lowrez models yes lowrez textures will be usefull to be used for lowrez model in terms of performance (high fps ingame...i think or if your video card is old.It easyer for it.)However using lowrez textures for lowrez model is not neccesarry if your highrez texture is small anyway.You can still you the same texture for the highrez model and for the lowrez.Its not a big deal.Also the lowrez models is very important because there is a maximum poly count for the game.And when that polycount is reached or the count go above the game will randomly choose models (some will be even close to you) and will turn them into lowrez model.However if thouse models dont have lowrez models they nothing will appear.So at their place there will be nothing.So if your map have alot of models this mean alot of models will began to pop-up in view for moment and that will look ugly.